Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #21
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

It's sad but true that the large number of squids ruin it for the rest. That's what's happened in Florida. There was a post on R1-forum a while back about all the craziness in Miami with sportbikers. Some state representative was riding along with cops to observe the wrecklessness on the highways by squids. They would purposely do wheelies next to cops and speed off. They couldn't get ID'd because they would use a device to flip their plates under the bike. They've had enough and are trying to crack down now.

Last edited by rideForrestride; 05-09-2008 at 12:31 AM.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vortex email kxthor911 Taking it to the Track 1 03-14-2013 01:30 PM
Email Notification superduke Forum Updates & Feedback 3 05-18-2011 01:42 PM
aim email rickykline Off Topic 5 10-08-2006 02:10 PM
an email i got shipwreck Off Topic 3 02-12-2006 05:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #22
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

To be blunt and cut to the heart... your first post and reaction is no better or worse than the one who introduced the bill.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #23
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
To be blunt and cut to the heart... your first post and reaction is no better or worse than the one who introduced the bill.

Please expand upon those thoughts. Seriously I am intrigued.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #24
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Protect yourself with a bike or helmet mounted camera - RECORD every ride. A couple hundred dollar investment can save you and your bike.

Think I'll be buying one next payday.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Please expand upon those thoughts. Seriously I am intrigued.
The person that introduced the bill... did so after going out on a ride-along, seeing a # of riders acting like idiots. He freaked and over reacted.

The author of the article, while demonstrating some ignorance in his commentary, was correct in what he wrote.

Your initial reaction, es evidenced by your post displays the same action. Seeing something you did not like and immediately reacting negatively to address.

Now it is NOT stories like that, which bring about bills like the on introduced. It is the irresponsible actions and behaviour of the riders and
the reactions of the people that witness them, which lead to support for those type bills & action.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #26
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Well then you should email this guy and let him know how much you are impressed with his awsome investigative reporting skills. Still email the guy, and let him know how you feel, good or bad about the article. I was a little peeved considering he didn't interview not one motorcyclist, and just decided all sportbike riders are crotch missles who are a danger to society.

Maybe this can spell it out for you a bit better. Not my words but I think it clears up how I saw it.

My reply to koatis@wtol.com
who posted the story:

Congratulations on helping to perpetuate an ignorant and uninformed stereotype of a segment of the motorcycling population. You know, those that pay a higher percentage of local, state and federal taxes for the reduced wear that they put on the roads. Those whose lives are at an exponentially higher risk of injury and death due to the uncaring ignorance of automobile drivers. Those who ride fuel efficient vehicles that typically get two times or more of the gas mileage as most of the other vehicles on the roads.
"But there's another kind of rider you need to watch out for -- a dangerous one with a strange name, reports News 11's Tim Miller. The motorcycles are called "Crotch Rockets."
Not by anyone that possesses even a cursory knowledge of motorcycles, they are accurately referred to as "sportbikes."
"They are more aerodynamic --- hug the body more -- and can sometimes go faster than regular motorcycles".
What, exactly, are "regular" motorcycles? Your omission of pertinent information is almost as distressing as the inclusion of your biased and inflammatory information.
"The Ohio State Highway patrol gets a lot of 9-11 calls each year because Crotch Rocket riders are out of control."
How many calls is "a lot"? More than the number of calls for loose dogs or cats in a tree? Or less?
"Every year there is always something that happens," says State Highway Patrol Sergeant Scott Wickhouse. "Someone crashes, and we end up handling an injury crash."
More than automobile crashes? Less?
"Crotch Rocket riders often get a little too excited about the power -- zooming around and creating a hazard for themselves and other drivers."
More than the number of automobile drivers that change lanes without looking or even signalling? Or less?
"We do see a lot of people doing a lot of tricks on them, trying to ride wheelies down the Interstate in excess of 100 miles per hour," Wickhouse says.
A lot of people? Compared to what? Compared to the number of pedophile priests in the city?
He remembers a recent incident on I-475 in Springfield Township when someone was driving erratically and crashed right into the back of another vehicle.
One incident? And how many drunk automobile driving incidents in that recent time period? Or jaywalking?
There are things you can do to steer clear:
Always look out for the reckless riders. Remember-- motorcycles are harder to see than cars or trucks.
Look for them when you're at a stop sign or pulling out from a traffic light.
"What they don't realize is that people may not see them, and they may change lanes or turn off or pull out in front of them and they just don't see them," Wickhouse says.
This really seems to be the only real information of any value in the article, something that might actually save a life, regardless of the type of motorcycle involved, "regular" or otherwise.
Should we stereotype all "journalists" as uninformed, biased, bigoted, narrow-minded, myopic hate-mongers? Just because a few might be?
I look forward to your public apology and your follow-up report that details the dangers that ignorant automobile drivers create for the segment of the population that chooses their transportation based on fuel economy, efficiency, cost of ownership and other factors.
Regards,
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Well, if he had taken the time to interview you, and quote you as such, that would be fine. You are entitled to your opinion. Yes, it is true a few bad apples are ruining it for the bunch, but that wasn't what he said. Part of reporting is backing facts up your story with facts, statistics, and a complete spectrum of interviews. He ony interviewed a cop, who brought up a small scope of incidents.

If you can't see where this is headed, then I hope you enjoyed your street riding days, and get used to the tape on your headlights, because the track is the only place you are going to be able to ride your bike. And see this is where you are going to say, "yeah but I don't do that." Great. But that is exactly why you should be upset. He isn't differentiating from good or poor riders, just all crotch rider rockets are evil stunters who smash into the back of cars.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Tia,

Your 'email' just enforces my point. The tone and angst in your 'message' does little towards finding sympathy or initiating interest towards further investigation.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
bignmz04
My better is better

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Well, if he had taken the time to interview you, and quote you as such, that would be fine. You are entitled to your opinion. Yes, it is true a few bad apples are ruining it for the bunch, but that wasn't what he said. Part of reporting is backing facts up your story with facts, statistics, and a complete spectrum of interviews. He ony interviewed a cop, who brought up a small scope of incidents.

If you can't see where this is headed, then I hope you enjoyed your street riding days, and get used to the tape on your headlights, because the track is the only place you are going to be able to ride your bike. And see this is where you are going to say, "yeah but I don't do that." Great. But that is exactly why you should be upset. He isn't differentiating from good or poor riders, just all crotch rider rockets are evil stunters who smash into the back of cars.
The sky is not falling chicken little (had to use one of the ol lady's line). you will be fine. you can go on riding no one will take your bike away from you. feel better now? panic attacks go away?

he did is job. which is not primarily to report but to sell his story. which (for a little part, thanks to you) he did. he is going to lump them all together. we all stereotype. why not him?

and if you think he is wrong again. go look the rider down thread. see how many of those people ride crotch rockets vs cruisers (yes i know what the majority of the people here ride)

thanks for putting his email up though. I did email him. to thank him. we need the stiff penalties (like florida) for some of us (myself included) to wake up.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #30
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Throw this on the already large pile of reasons not to go to Florida...
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #32
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
The women dont matter?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #33
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Ya...all I know is confiscation of a motorcycle is bullshit. Why don't they start confiscating those ricers with fart cans out on the road acting like jackasses?

Tia I will agree though, the derogatory tone of that article towards sport bike riders is completely uncalled for.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #34
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter1125 View Post
95% of the time it is.. Cagers cant see us..

The other 5% is riding outside our limits..
83.715% of statistics are made up
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #35
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
Honestly... How soon till we as Houstonians see a similar law????

Do our streets not resemble what was shown on video?
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #36
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
83.715% of statistics are made up
and 76.5645 are made up on the spot.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #37
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Ya...all I know is confiscation of a motorcycle is bullshit. Why don't they start confiscating those ricers with fart cans out on the road acting like jackasses?"

Uhm, try google...already being done somewhere. :-)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

I think some of you are missing the legalities of the subject before making some statements.

Finally. nothing will be confiscated if you dont break the law. same goes for cages. so just dont break the law if you are so paranoid about getting your bike taken away like CPS was coming for your first born or something lol.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #39
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
I think some of you are missing the legalities of the subject before making some statements.

Finally. nothing will be confiscated if you dont break the law. same goes for cages. so just dont break the law if you are so paranoid about getting your bike taken away like CPS was coming for your first born or something lol.
First of all. That's pretty much what it would be like if someone took my bike (taking my first born). Secondly, that's not the issue, the issue is we are being singled out.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #40
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post

Imagine that!!!!!!
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement