MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Htownz

Member Garage

01 F4I Constant Odometer-Fuse Burn Out

I have a 2001 Honda F4I with around 12K miles. Bike runs great, only every time I change the 10A fuse for the Odometer/Tail lights, it will burn out within minutes. Sometimes the odometer will flicker, and if I hold in my front brake by a quarter inch, it will come on briefly, allowing me to see the speed/clock/temp.

Has anyone ran into this problem before? Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone Electrical?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icon Burn Baby Burn Helmet $169.95! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 3 11-23-2011 09:10 AM
01 f4i no fuel pump. Phydeaux How To's and Q & A's 12 09-14-2011 05:42 PM
Need a 01-03 F4i Sub-Frame grandprixmotoring.com Stunters Lounge 6 06-10-2009 10:43 PM
01 f4i fuel shut off? SportRider How To's and Q & A's 3 02-09-2008 09:10 PM
Tip over sensor: '01 600 F4I? Blanco How To's and Q & A's 8 11-28-2007 10:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

sounds like wires are crossing some where

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
trace the wiring harness from start to end.....you probably have some wires melted together.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
mr.haterz
SW squidbillies

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
01 F4i krunchy piece
99 z50r stock
96 z50r
03 xr50 108cc

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mr.haterz
one of my fuse's kept bustin and melted a bunch of wires. now i dont have any blinkers
Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Htownz

Member Garage

Good Stuff Guys. I'll try to trace the paths. Any decent mechanics around that are good with this stuff incase I F it up even more than it is? I wouldn't care if it were just the blinkers, but its too annoying to not have any info with regards to temp or having no tail lights at night.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
You need a wiring diagram.

Remove the fuse, remove the pin from the connector at the instrument cluster. Now you have isolated that wire, assuming it is a straight wire with no splices.

1) short test from one of the ends of the wire to ground on the battery

if there is continuity, you do have a short or a cross.

You could trace the wire the whole way and try to visibly inspect for a problem, but considering there may be a sheath on the wiring, I would recommend this... get some extra wire, run it from the fuse to the pin on the connector. Replace the fuse and try checking the odometer again. If the fuse doesn't blow, you know you have a short in that wire and not a problem with the instrument cluster.

If, with the fuse out, you pull the brake enough to light up the tail lights(contact the switch) then yes, there is a short to power. The fuse is being blown because the resistance in the tail lights is pulling excessive amperage through that fuse.

You can suspend the tank and keep tapping the brake as the lights/odometer go on/off carefully and follow the harness w a compass. The magnetic effect of the short may trigger the compass to jump. Otherwise, follow both wires or find a commonality in both circuits.

Finally, replace both wires or repair the wires if they are shorted together.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I waited through 36kmeg before I gave up on downloading a manual w schematic to check the wiring for possible faults. If you have a diagram, post it
Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
You need a wiring diagram.

Remove the fuse, remove the pin from the connector at the instrument cluster. Now you have isolated that wire, assuming it is a straight wire with no splices.

1) short test from one of the ends of the wire to ground on the battery

if there is continuity, you do have a short or a cross.

You could trace the wire the whole way and try to visibly inspect for a problem, but considering there may be a sheath on the wiring, I would recommend this... get some extra wire, run it from the fuse to the pin on the connector. Replace the fuse and try checking the odometer again. If the fuse doesn't blow, you know you have a short in that wire and not a problem with the instrument cluster.

If, with the fuse out, you pull the brake enough to light up the tail lights(contact the switch) then yes, there is a short to power. The fuse is being blown because the resistance in the tail lights is pulling excessive amperage through that fuse.

You can suspend the tank and keep tapping the brake as the lights/odometer go on/off carefully and follow the harness w a compass. The magnetic effect of the short may trigger the compass to jump. Otherwise, follow both wires or find a commonality in both circuits.

Finally, replace both wires or repair the wires if they are shorted together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
I waited through 36kmeg before I gave up on downloading a manual w schematic to check the wiring for possible faults. If you have a diagram, post it
Thanks a bunch man. That's pretty thorough. I was actually looking for a schematic online earlier. I'm definitely a rookie at troubleshooting electrical problems on bikes. I'll try and give it a shot..

I'll try your first test-run to see if there is no short for that particular wire connected that fuse. Hopefully I can dig up a schematic soon. Otherwise it seems quite complex to see how the analog gauges effect the indicator movement within the cluster. I'm sure you'll hear from me again. I appreciate the help
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

according to cbrforums.com there is one in the ower's manual, and there are downloadable versions available online if you google '2001 f4i wiring diagram.'

Advertisement