MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #21
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,369

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
I hear ya, but I think the 450X has a little bit wider ratios than the 450R soo it might be a little easier to handle.
A 250 would definetly be fun, but i may want to race this thing down the road and doubt there would be a 250 singles class.
I meant having the 250 for dirt duties
__________________
"I haven't seen the crash, but I think Marc needs to be penalized for two or three seasons! Until I stop racing!"-VR46
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building credit witchdoctor575 Off Topic 22 03-06-2012 05:23 PM
Building a shed.. BYRDMAN Off Topic 16 07-24-2009 09:17 PM
Building inspectors? rick Off Topic 0 12-10-2008 12:39 AM
building a bike philly fresh General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-29-2008 12:01 AM
Wheel building? mcd Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 10 03-13-2008 07:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









I want one!
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss
 
MacMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 364

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL









The 450X has the wide ratio tranny and is electric start.
Much needed in my "old man world". Athena makes a 490 kit that puts out 65 plus RWHP.
That would be way..... cool.........
__________________
www.lstd.com
www.cmraracing.com
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #24
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
 
ArturoC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23,248


Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage





Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The 450X has the wide ratio tranny and is electric start.
Much needed in my "old man world". Athena makes a 490 kit that puts out 65 plus RWHP.
That would be way..... cool.........


Ooooooo.. Do you know if it's possible to swap out tranny internals to get a wide ratio on the R?
__________________
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
 
ArturoC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23,248


Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage





Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I've got my 2003 crf450 for sale on CL for $2950.

MH price is $2700.


Dang! I'm still saving my pennies!!
__________________
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #26
jodyhudson
Senior Member
 
jodyhudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,297

Experience: 10+ years











Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
Ooooooo.. Do you know if it's possible to swap out tranny internals to get a wide ratio on the R?
its possible, but why the would you wanna do it ? why not just buy an X and save yourself alot of BS. it even comes with electric start for christ sake... thats a no brainer if you ask me
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #27
Mad Max
Senior Member
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: norway
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 1,407












Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
-baja designs used to make a WR kit for the 450's, but it is discontinued. you can swap the cr250 tranny into the 450 cases, but you must swap everything including the shafts. i think the trx tranny can even be partially used in.

-the X is heavier and less powerful than the R, but has a stronger tranny with wider ratios. they are also considerably less on the market

-the R 'should' have some tranny mod's done to it if you plan on roadracing it with stock gearing, and they are much more involved than you can do in an afternoon
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #28
jodyhudson
Senior Member
 
jodyhudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,297

Experience: 10+ years











Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
-baja designs used to make a WR kit for the 450's, but it is discontinued. you can swap the cr250 tranny into the 450 cases, but you must swap everything including the shafts. i think the trx tranny can even be partially used in.

-the X is heavier and less powerful than the R, but has a stronger tranny with wider ratios. they are also considerably less on the market

-the R 'should' have some tranny mod's done to it if you plan on roadracing it with stock gearing, and they are much more involved than you can do in an afternoon
all you have to do is put an R cam in it and an R spec pipe... then you pretty much have the same bike with electric start.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #29
Mad Max
Senior Member
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: norway
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 1,407












Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
all you have to do is put an R cam in it and an R spec pipe... then you pretty much have the same bike with electric start.
yeah, it would be close, people swap the entire heads also because the R's have bigger valves iirc. also, i think the carb is slightly different, but i may be wrong on that. but, it would still be heavier.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #30
jodyhudson
Senior Member
 
jodyhudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,297

Experience: 10+ years











Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
yeah, it would be close, people swap the entire heads also because the R's have bigger valves iirc. also, i think the carb is slightly different, but i may be wrong on that. but, it would still be heavier.
the carb is the exact same. only the jetting is different. i know that for a fact. i did an R conversion on my buddies 2005 X
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #31
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
 
ArturoC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23,248


Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage





Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
its possible, but why the would you wanna do it ? why not just buy an X and save yourself alot of BS. it even comes with electric start for christ sake... thats a no brainer if you ask me

Just sayin'... Ya know, in case somebody happens to come across a great deal on an R.


I'll take either. I'm too slow to care.
__________________
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy