MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
booo-iii_rider
1st timer = noob

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
lookin for my ride still

What should I do?

So I know ive asked a similar question like this before, but after test riding a few more bikes I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. (I actually own a 2005 Ninja 250 at the moment and have been riding that for the past 2 months and racked up about ~1,000 miles on it).

I love my ninja 250, but if going to school entails me to get on the freeway, I would like to know of a "heavier/beginner bike" to scope out. See the ninja 250 is light (actually really light I can practically make it do what I want by picking it up), so when I was on the freeway 2 days ago, a strong wind was blowing, and it lifted the bike and tilted it (making me feel like I was going to tip over). I was going 60 mph (that was a SUPER scary feeling).

I have a couple of friends that ride, so I got a chance to ride their bike on the freeway. Both their bikes (Ninja 500 and GS500R) handle very well on the freeway. Its a noticeable heavier bike as I can see at a stop light and on the freeway, I dont feel that much of a lift as I did on my 250.

So here goes my question, should I upgrade to a Ninja 500 or a GS500F or just stick with my ninja 250? (keep in mind I will have to travel downtown daily for 2 month to take college class during the summer, so going on the freeway is a must)

which bike would be the best? as in maintience, insurance, repair, preformance, as a commuter bike?
(actually open to any suggestion on any bike)
booo-iii_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
coojo
Uber Newb

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Maybe go on some rides with MHers and get more used to the freeway riding and wind?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

all bikes will "tilt" under heavy wind. i have a gixxer and it does the same thing. the ninja 500 and the gs500 are both great bikes as well for noobs. significantly more power than the 250, but still great economy. although the 250 will handle itself just fine on the highway and get even BETTER milage.

my personal opinion: if the only thing making you think about an upgrade is the wind, then keep the 250. its paid for and it has great resale value. BUT if you WANT (notice i said "want" because none of us dont really "need") something bigger, the other two youre peeping at are both great bikes. cheap enough too. although i think the ninja 500 is slightly on the uglier side.

hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
klassik

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

maybe check out some of the suzuki v_stroms they are a do everything bike and the 650 aint that expensive used
Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Azylum
The Chosen One

the v-strom isnt a great "commuter" bike, especially for a new rider. theyre big and bulky, and not near as cheap as teh others. jmo.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
why not an sv650?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Azylum
The Chosen One

why not a moped?

because thats not what hes looking at.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
"which bike would be the best? as in maintience, insurance, repair, preformance, as a commuter bike?
(actually open to any suggestion on any bike)"

I think you missed that so here you go mike. lol
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Stick with the 250 and learn to ride it in the wind and on the freeways.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Bizzach

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yellow 2008 Kawa ZX-6R

I ride my 250 day in, day out, on the freeway every day (and have done so for well over a year now). All I can say, is you just have to get used to the wind. It won't actually tip you over. (I ride down 45 to Galveston every day, so I KNOW strong winds!!)
The lil Ninja is a very capable machine. Just put some more miles on it, maybe on the freeway, and learn to rev the engine high... it loves cruising at 80mph at 10-11k RPM!
Bizzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

hey hey hey...i used to hate the freeway too....and i gotta tell you ...the wind wont tip you over...i was scared of the wind for a while and wouldn't ride the 250 for no reason. (I have a 08 250)...i took the advice from some of this guys about relaxing your upper body, squeeze your knees towards the tank and if you feel a strong gust of wind or a trailer coming by, lean towards the tank and right a far back on the sit...

It will make a difference...i rode the HOV on Tuesday and then back home...i felt the wind on the way over to Vitos and way back...but my bike handled perfectly....oh yeah...it's hard to keep it at 60 mph...lol..i was doing 75 and it was handling awesome...

Stick to the 250...just my 0.02
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
booo-iii_rider
1st timer = noob

Bike(s):
lookin for my ride still

soo if I decide to "upgrade" to a 500 cc bike, are their problems I should look out for on a GS500F? I agree this bike looks and feels pretty killer that is what I might just do if I find a good deal. Ive tried searching and it seems like people say that "the engine is indestructable," so is there anything else i need to know? any Suzuki GS500F guys out there want to give me insight on what I need to check for?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Keep that 250 for a year or so then upgrade to a bigger bike (650 or older 600). And do yourself a favor before you sell the 250 take it to the track (GSS would be a great venue for a 250)

How many miles have you put on her so far?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

The 250's are good bikes, you just need to get used to riding it in the wind. After while, you won't notice so much.

If you want to upgrade, I would go with the Ninja 500 over the GS 500. The GS is oil cooled and will get hot on you in traffic.
I have a Ninja 500 that I ride to work most days when it is not raining. I love it. It's fast enough to get out in front in traffic and it gets a little over 50 MPG like your 250. My daught rides on it with me on the weekends.
Don't you just love the HOV lane?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I have a 2fiddy and I ride to work when I can (Clear Lake to Midtown)...the wind is a noticable factor when you're riding on the freeway but you're gonna be fine. I've been on the freeway when it's like 20mph wind and as long as you stay relaxed and tuck behind the windscreen when you get the speeds up there you'll be okay. I wouldn't jump up just to combat the wind. I would only suggest you step up when you're ready to handle a bigger bike.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
booo-iii_rider
1st timer = noob

Bike(s):
lookin for my ride still

thanks everyone for their input...I going to think long and hard about this one...after thinking about it, I think im going to go with BigComfy's advice, ill keep mine for a while and upgrade later to a older 600 (I really like the Yamaha FZ6 = *drool*)

Thanks again!!! you guys rock with your advice and it really helps keep me grounded, hopefully one of these days, ill be as wise as everyone on here

Advertisement