MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

MotoGP: Schwantz to return in 09 with own team?

Get a load of this ...........................

Quote:
Former 500cc world champion rumoured to be heading up new MotoGP team in 2009
IF you've never seen Kevin Schwantz ride then you won't be as excited by this news as the rest of us, but it seems more likely than ever that the originator of the 'Squirrely' riding style and description is going to make a full-time return to MotoGP next year as a team boss.
The 43-year-old 1993 500cc World Champion is likely to get back to the big bike paddock in either an official 'advisor' role with the Suzuki factory team or by running his own satellite outfit with countryman and double AMA Superbike Champ Ben Spies.

He said: `Everybody should know that my heart is in MotoGP. That is where I spent most of my career and that is where most of my fans are. I would love to be back in there helping Suzuki on the management side, whether it is running a team with a single bike and Ben Spies or whether it is running their factory team.

`Whatever the Japanese have in mind I am more than willing to work with them. I wish I knew more, but as long as my affiliation with Suzuki has been around I kind of expect it to be a last minute thing, that comes about in October.

Spies is due to test the Suzuki 800cc bike at Indianapolis in July.
Got to be good for Ben having someone like Schwantz in your corner,
hasn't it??
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schwantz, Haga, & Kagayama Team Up For Suzuka sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-07-2013 09:20 AM
MotoGP: Schwantz team is no go Grinchy Taking it to the Track 1 06-30-2008 10:32 AM
Schwantz/Aspar Suzuki MotoGP Deal Done? ArturoC Taking it to the Track 7 10-19-2007 01:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
yeap, i hope he pulls it off.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

I'm glad Spies is going and staying with Suzuki. I think this might be the edge that Suzuki needs for MotoGP since they aren't doing so good.

That and I don't really want to see him riding a 600cc in the new "Superbike" class next year.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Kewl!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Spies and Hopper would make the best GP team for Suzuki. I think. Not a huge Suzuki fan, but Spies is the real deal. Talent to spare and a true class act all around. I wish Hopper would have stayed but he'll make the Monster roar soon enough.
Spies under Schwantz's wing and personal attention would be a force to recon with in '10 if the 'Zuk is up to the task. Spies can ride with them GP boys on the same equipment I think.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i feel spies will do well also.

i'm glad to see hopper doing better (go kawi go) gotta podium already!

with all the new talent, this season is sure turning upside down for the vets of the big bikes.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Spies and Hopper would make the best GP team for Suzuki. I think. Not a huge Suzuki fan, but Spies is the real deal. Talent to spare and a true class act all around. I wish Hopper would have stayed but he'll make the Monster roar soon enough.
Spies under Schwantz's wing and personal attention would be a force to recon with in '10 if the 'Zuk is up to the task. Spies can ride with them GP boys on the same equipment I think.
+1

Perfect pair to help push the development of the bike. No doubt.....

Theres no question about it though, Spies is ready.........he makes pushing his current superbike ride, look like a Sunday cruise to the beach.

That last race in Cali was a perfect example. He turned it on at the right moment in the race, and caught one of the greatest Superbike riders of our time, who had a decent lead. Someone who can ride like that, is more than GP capable.

But, I'm not sure if he would have more(or the same) success as Toseland right off the bat though. Toseland has raced these same tracks for years......so it will be interesting to see how fast he gets up to pace. I say this only because alot of people compare him to Toseland.(Both great Superbike riders)

-Adam
Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
i feel spies will do well also.

i'm glad to see hopper doing better (go kawi go) gotta podium already!

with all the new talent, this season is sure turning upside down for the vets of the big bikes.
Do you think Spies is better than Hopper, or Edwards??
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Neither, but has the potential to be better then both.

-Adam
Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
i'd say he's above edwards but hopper, i think he's still young and a little fearless yet! colin is older so he keeps his reserves about him. check out JT, he's "killing colin" so to speak.

i think spies has the equipment to be better than everyone else on the track (in his current position) now when in MGP, that's a different story. We'll have to wait and see about that one.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I'm a fan of Spies, Hayden, and especially CEII. I don't like them just because they're Americans or because they all raced CMRA, or even because two of them are Native Texans, but because they are what I consider to be "pure" riders.

I hold Rossi and McCoy in the same respect.

I think those guys are true racers who don't need to enhance or mask talent with things like traction control, wheelie controls, etc.

A lot like Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardener, and others, the younger up and comers may not possess the talent or skill of the older guys going out, but they may win the races.

Is Ben better than Colin? No, I think Colin is better than Ben in many aspects, but Ben will likely do better because he's a bit younger, and Colin may be waning in his career (though I hope not, he's going awful strong so far this year).

I do think that Ben has the potential to be better than Hopper, I think that Hopkins has reached his potential. I also think that King James is going to be the one to beat in years to come, and Ben will either be right in his wake or right beside him.

My $.02
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
i'd say he's above edwards but hopper, i think he's still young and a little fearless yet! colin is older so he keeps his reserves about him. check out JT, he's "killing colin" so to speak.

i think spies has the equipment to be better than everyone else on the track (in his current position) now when in MGP, that's a different story. We'll have to wait and see about that one.
I'm not so sure, I dont think he's been fully tested yet.
Compare to Kiyonari, double British Superbike Champion, always in the mix, good wet or dry. Put him in WSB on arguably one of the best bikes/teams out there and you would have to say he's under achieving. MotoGP is another level again.
But then where did Hopper come from???
He was UNKNOWN in Europe when he stepped in at Suzuki .
Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
But then where did Hopper come from???
He was UNKNOWN in Europe when he stepped in at Suzuki .
Yes, but like Ben, he was known to Suzuki.

Hopkins had many influential and important people pushing behind him, and they 'figgered him to be the "next best". I think he's not gonna go far unfortunately, and is destined to be a mid-pack finisher at the end of the next several seasons until he's relegated to teams further down the pecking order of satellites.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

Hopkins had many influential and important people pushing behind him, and they 'figgered him to be the "next best". I think he's not gonna go far unfortunately, and is destined to be a mid-pack finisher at the end of the next several seasons until he's relegated to teams further down the pecking order of satellites.
I think Kawasaki is a bad move for ANYONE sadly.

So Spies in 2009 and Johnny Rea in 2010, looking good
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
I'm a fan of Spies, Hayden, and especially CEII. I don't like them just because they're Americans or because they all raced CMRA, or even because two of them are Native Texans, but because they are what I consider to be "pure" riders.

I hold Rossi and McCoy in the same respect.

I think those guys are true racers who don't need to enhance or mask talent with things like traction control, wheelie controls, etc.

A lot like Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardener, and others, the younger up and comers may not possess the talent or skill of the older guys going out, but they may win the races.

Is Ben better than Colin? No, I think Colin is better than Ben in many aspects, but Ben will likely do better because he's a bit younger, and Colin may be waning in his career (though I hope not, he's going awful strong so far this year).

I do think that Ben has the potential to be better than Hopper, I think that Hopkins has reached his potential. I also think that King James is going to be the one to beat in years to come, and Ben will either be right in his wake or right beside him.

My $.02
Well said
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:

I say Hopkins has never had the proper bike to compete with in his early days. That, and he doesn't have the awsome backing like Jeremy Burgess that Rossi has had to develope bikes. I don't believe Rossi would be the he is today without Jeremy. I think Hopper's career would be alot different if he had a chance with say Honda when he made his debut.

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 05-01-2008 at 05:07 PM.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Rumored forever it seems. I hope it happens!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

I am still not too sure Ben will do great in GP, i rather see him in WSBK. lots of great WSBK riders had poor performances in GP, call it the wrong team, bike, tires, etc. They just don't adjust to GP bikes.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
I am still not too sure Ben will do great in GP, i rather see him in WSBK. lots of great WSBK riders had poor performances in GP, call it the wrong team, bike, tires, etc. They just don't adjust to GP bikes.

I think he should atleast try GP.

But going to WSBK first wouldn't be a bad idea. This way he gets used to riding around the world on very different tracks then he is used to, before jumping on a totaly different machine, and in a totaly different class. Traveling the world and racing sometimes puts alot of stress on riders. Some can't take it.......:/: I'd be surprised if he couldn't though.........

-Adam
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I think he should atleast try GP.

But going to WSBK first wouldn't be a bad idea. This way he gets used to riding around the world on very different tracks then he is used to, before jumping on a totaly different machine, and in a totaly different class. Traveling the world and racing sometimes puts alot of stress on riders. Some can't take it.......:/: I'd be surprised if he couldn't though.........

-Adam
Don't get me wrong, i do want Ben to be succesfull in GP but like you said, new guy in totally different tracks, weather conditions, different bike, i hope he doesn't get burnt, but Kevin the goat is pretty smart so we will see.

Advertisement