MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Wow, what a day! Cresson, 4-28

Well, Cresson didn't disappoint yesterday, for sure!

Big thanks to all the folks that made it happen- Wade, Macman and Jeff for putting on another quality event, Ronnie Hay for providing fantastic instruction along with all of his professional quality instructors, Eric Thames for doing a fantastic job of getting the day rolling and taking care of all the operational aspects along with Ryan Rutkowski; both of these guys are top-notch! As always, Cresson management and owners were top shelf, and provided excellent facilities that were par excellent!

The 3.1 was fantastic all day! The original 1.7, even though temps were in the low 60s in the am, didn't really have too many grip issues other than for a couple of spots. The 1.3 was grippy all day, and kept things interesting for all the noobs!

I had to find my way around the 3.1 again, we hadn't ridden that configuration since we were the first to take that track when they opened the new section. Then, we weren't 100% convinced that it was good for motorcycles to run it at a fast pace because run-off was sketchy, there was no grass to keep the dirt from dusting the track, and radio communications were really not up to snuff enough to ensure safe operations. Well, the track owner heard our concerns, and made some significant (and costly) changes so that we could take that track without concern. It worked! Radios worked very well, there were no issues with dust or dirt, and they got all the big rocks and run off issues taken care of. It was good!

Some guys were really railing out there today. Personally, I got in to some good rythyms and was able to put down some rubber today. It felt great! Perfect weather, awesome track...

Supapro was pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down today on the Bridgestone SV- he was testing some tires, and you never would have known that he was riding a 650... there were plenty of liter bikes out there that would probably argue that it wasn't a stock engine SV650!

It was great to see everyone show up- the only group that didn't fill up was the "A" group, and there were still plenty of them to go around.

By the end of the day, I guess the 3.1 proved to be a little challenging and tiresome for most, the groups were pretty light when 4:00 rolled around! I saw a bunch of folks fold up and take their bikes home saying, "man, I'm done, that's a lot of riding!"

Very few incidents, only one stoppage due to a popped engine that got cleaned up and track management got us back on the track in a record 15 minutes!

Thanks to all of those that made it happen!

Swift-e promises to post up some great pics some time soon (I've seen them, they are really good!). Pauline James took some bad-to-the-bone photos in Big Bend while cornerworking too!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LSTD @ Cresson 4-28 Psych0ninja Taking it to the Track 32 04-27-2008 08:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Great flippin day! Man the 3.1 mile course is a heck of an adventure. One part fast course with some pretty technical aspects and mediocre grip(in the morning). The second part super technical with a ton of grip.

Instructing in the C-group was great. The students held great lines and asked a ton of questions all day. Everyone in B-group looked like they were having the time of their lives!

It took me a bit to adapt to the transitions between the 2 tracks. The old to new connnection has a slight "pot hole" in the race line, and the new old connection you find yourself in a gear higher going into the slingshot compared to when you come into the regular way.

Great times with awesome friends!

Is it the 10th yet?

(and the BBQ was flipping amazing! I want another "da'works' plate )
Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
One part fast course with some pretty technical aspects and mediocre grip(in the morning). The old to new connnection has a slight "pot hole" in the race line...
Man, I wish we would have been able to hook up today, I suspect you may have had some issues with your lines based on what was happening with you on the 1.7 and transition. The only spot I had any grip issues with in the am on the 1.7 was in Little Bend, and after modifying my line through there it went away. In the afternoon, I didn't have any traction issues at all anywhere on the track.

That bump in the transition is really off the line to the new track- if you're going over it, you're too tight. I found that it should be taken from the outside and across the transition at an angle, left of that bump. Even when I hit that bump though, it wasn't enough to upset the bike at all.

I think you and I need to trade bikes at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and see if you like the way the 'Zook feels. It's a little more like the way the SV feels than your 600rr is. The Gixx is a little wider and has a much different feel than the Honda does.

'Da Works was too much! Man, it's good though!

You guys did a great job teaching, the "Noob" group was doing really well at the end of the day!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I'm loading the pics now.
This thread will not be dial-up friendly

Thanks to all of you who made this day one of the best EVER!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

CRESSON WAS AMAZING until i wrecked but hey THank you so much to LSTD for all your help I high sided pretty bad and before i could even look at my bike the corner worker had the flag out and everyone made sure i was ok thanks for bein on top of things guys and Big comfy im good nothing broken just really sore i will post pics up later

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Wow Jared! Sorry to read that you went down, but glad you are ok!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
CRESSON WAS AMAZING until i wrecked but hey THank you so much to LSTD for all your help I high sided pretty bad and before i could even look at my bike the corner worker had the flag out and everyone made sure i was ok thanks for bein on top of things guys and Big comfy im good nothing broken just really sore i will post pics up later
Dude, I didn't know that was you! What happened (besides some obvious ground/ sky/ ground/ sky action)?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

DSC 0017 1

DSC 043deleted

There are MANY MANY More I'll post a link to in a bit
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
You can't post that! It's supposed to be a secret!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
sorry to hear you went down Jared. It's part of the learning process and it makes you faster Cresson bit me pretty hard in T1/T2 on the short track my first time out there....let alone the first session Lucky for me it was a lowside and the bike was still rideable and the rider suffered only ego pain and a softball sized bruise on my hip. Hope the damage ain't too bad and glad to see you're alright.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
You can't post that! It's supposed to be a secret!

Fixed!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Last edited by Swift E; 04-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Eric 'tis tha camera GURU. Nice pics G.

It was cold in the AM, but it warmed up quick and I can't remember the last time I rode in more perfect conditions. Thanks to all who came out!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Thanx for a great time guys...

It's got to be nice to have your own pitcrew uh??? LOL

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:
Dude, I didn't know that was you! What happened (besides some obvious ground/ sky/ ground/ sky action)?
Well i was on the left hand pinhair up hill turn and the last 2 laps i was just blazin and i dipped in low on the very inside following the race line (and i have never had a bike that low in my life ever) my elbow touched the ground and i was hanging in i felt the back tire slip 2 times and i rolled on the throttle a little more and it pulled the wait off the front wheel and the tire hit the groove in the track and turned the bars sideways

I flew over the handle bars and the bike flipped over and the tail section smashed me in the back of the head and my face against the track then it rolled over top of me and then me over it and then it over me again and me over it then it got on me one mroe time and we slid to the side of the track when we stopped it was still on my left side of my body my head was still on the track and i got it off me and off the track as fast as i could

I knew the bike was F'd up but turns out my body saved the bike thank well my whole back is bruised i have a few bruised ribs pulled muscle in my shoulder my left boot is destroyed and my heel is a huge bruise (hard to walk) my right knee is bruised really really bad but all in all I am ok I just wish eric would have been there with the camera i bet it looked cool I am uploading pics now i will make a new thread with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
I flew over the handle bars and the bike flipped over and the tail section smashed me in the back of the head and my face against the track then it rolled over top of me and then me over it and then it over me again and me over it then it got on me one mroe time and we slid to the side of the track when we stopped it was still on my left side of my body my head was still on the track and i got it off me and off the track as fast as i could
Why did I have to miss this one? WHY? Glad you are ok man
Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Well i was on the left hand pinhair up hill turn and the last 2 laps i was just blazin and i dipped in low on the very inside following the race line (and i have never had a bike that low in my life ever) my elbow touched the ground and i was hanging in i felt the back tire slip 2 times and i rolled on the throttle a little more and it pulled the wait off the front wheel and the tire hit the groove in the track and turned the bars sideways

I knew the bike was F'd up but turns out my body saved the bike thank well my whole back is bruised i have a few bruised ribs pulled muscle in my shoulder my left boot is destroyed and my heel is a huge bruise (hard to walk) my right knee is bruised really really bad but all in all I am ok I just wish eric would have been there with the camera i bet it looked cool I am uploading pics now i will make a new thread with pics
Faaack!

At least you can remember the incident.... !

Glad you're able to type, and apparently hold a thought... that sounded brutal.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Faaack!

At least you can remember the incident.... !

Glad you're able to type, and apparently hold a thought... that sounded brutal.
Doesn't it though!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Man, you gotta ask them instructors how to crash.

I remember one instructor coming up to me after my first morning session and he said...and I quote, "It was kinda fun, huh?"

Basta'd
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote