MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #21
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I'd say to just be comfortable on the bike to allow yourself more room to learn from the instruction.

Less worries about what the bike is doing beneath you leaves more room to pay attention to the tasks in hand in my opinion.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's true... I'm an addict BigComfy Off Topic 69 09-19-2011 04:18 PM
Motorcycle addict Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 12-30-2009 12:14 PM
so ... how do you know your a wheelie addict? PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 62 04-01-2009 01:28 PM
I now know how an addict feels ZUlater Off Topic 13 12-18-2007 12:57 AM
5 year old addict flip326 Off Topic 8 09-20-2005 03:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #22
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
I recommend a few thousand miles under your belt. 5k at least. that way your comfy and the bike.
Valid point.....

Get used to the bike. Once your comfortable enough, come on out. Come watch a NOOB or regular track day, so you know what to expect. Maybe that will help you decide when you think your ready......

-Adam H.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
Dreamer!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
What does that matter? As long as it is in good running shape and is able to be safe to ride.

Most people would probably say not to get a nice bike out on the track without experience.
my bike isnt in good running shape lol and its hard to lean at 520lbs, atleast for me

but dont your bikes have to be insured to be out there? because my 250 isnt, thats why i dont ride it :/:
Dreamer!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
I recommend a few thousand miles under your belt. 5k at least. that way your comfy and the bike.
i find it odd that you preach safety, and everyone always says the track is safer than the streets. if that is so, why would you recommend a noob to learn on the streets instead of a "more safe and controlled" environment at the track?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #25
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer!! View Post
my bike isnt in good running shape lol and its hard to lean at 520lbs, atleast for me

but dont your bikes have to be insured to be out there? because my 250 isnt, thats why i dont ride it :/:
No, bikes don't need to be insured at the track, you bust it you fix it. And just so you know, it is the unwritten expectation that if you bust somebody elses you will fix that too.
Insurance often won't pay for damage that occurs in a track environment anyway (you should check with your agent).

Your first statement is a concern tho'. Your bike MUST be in excellent running condition because you will be using it harder than you reasonably should on the street.

As far as the stuff about safety...
The track is a great learning environment and is safer than the street. However, it IS a very intense place to learn and if a person is still having to think about shifting gears or how to work the clutch then they are not going to pick up the information they need at the track.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #26
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
No, bikes don't need to be insured at the track, you bust it you fix it. And just so you know, it is the unwritten expectation that if you bust somebody elses you will fix that too.
Insurance often won't pay for damage that occurs in a track environment anyway (you should check with your agent).

Your first statement is a concern tho'. Your bike MUST be in excellent running condition because you will be using it harder than you reasonably should on the street.

As far as the stuff about safety...
The track is a great learning environment and is safer than the street. However, it IS a very intense place to learn and if a person is still having to think about shifting gears or how to work the clutch then they are not going to pick up the information they need at the track.
they shouldn't be learning that in traffic accumulating 5,000 miles either
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Hay Dave ... so did you end up getting a suit?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #28
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

next time you show up at the track let me know and I'll bring them down for ya.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #29
Riddler
LONGHORNMOTORCYCLESCHOOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YOUR MOM
YOUR SISTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
Will I be made fun of if I take my Katana out there?

I love my bike but it's not as racey as them gxxer types...I sure would hate to show up in a yugo when everyone else has a porsche!
I started riding the track 4yrs ago on a 87 VFR 700....only my friends laughed...but what are friends for

so bring out the CAN-O-TUNA and have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
LONGHORN MOTORCYCLE "SCHOOL" ....this is the important part....it is not a "sanctioned race" (sp) it is a learning enviroment....but do check with your own company....I know State Farm pays..just ask PRE-K
CMRA Novice #825
CCS Amateur #805
LONGHORN MOTORCYCLE SCHOOL
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #30
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
I started riding the track 4yrs ago on a 87 VFR 700....only my friends laughed...but what are friends for

so bring out the CAN-O-TUNA and have fun

LONGHORN MOTORCYCLE "SCHOOL" ....this is the important part....it is not a "sanctioned race" (sp) it is a learning enviroment....but do check with your own company....I know State Farm pays..just ask PRE-K

Whaddayou know about schoolin'?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement