MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
pimpcain

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2000 EX500

I am missing a can. is it bad for my engine?

the other day i was riding home from UH and i noticed that my exhaust sounded different. i thouhgt nothing of it and continued to ride home. well, when i get to my house, i get off my bike and realize that one of my canisters blew off. i dont know the exact details of where, when, or how this happened, but it did. I bought my 2000 Kawasaki EX500 from some guy who put this F1 slip ons on the bike (they go for about 50 on ebay). is this going to hurt my engine with one can on and one off? thanks for the help guys.

cliff notes: one of my canisters blew off my bike, is it bad for my engine to run with only one of two cans?
pimpcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing alpinestary left glove missing Texasthunder General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-23-2013 07:00 PM
Engine starts missing at 7K RPM - what's up? Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 05-12-2011 10:47 PM
WOW BAD BAD BAD WRECK ON 290 txgsxrbob Off Topic 20 02-25-2008 02:30 PM
Missing and Sputtering engine TX-Aggie General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-03-2007 01:49 PM
Engine Missing... Drumboy How To's and Q & A's 13 04-28-2006 05:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

lol how did you not notice
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
theskill

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'03 VFR

Send a message via AIM to theskill
Yeah, how did you miss that?

Torque output is very sensitive to the backpressure of the exhaust. 2 cylinders consistantly making rather different output on a twin might do something funky to the engine, who knows. But, I don't think the backpressure difference will be too great up by where the exhaust valves are whether or not the can is there. I seriously doubt it will be bad for that engine, exhaust systems tend to flow differently for each cylinder anyway.

Maybe with the can being off it'll cause such a difference in output between the cylinders that it'll blow up (note: I'm joking). It's not worth wondering about. Just get another can.
theskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
.. thats a huge difference.. I have an akropovic exhaust and its loud as it is.. and when I drop my bike.. it cracked the can.. and now it's even louder..

so suck on the HD guys

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
I have absolutly no idea but if you want a free pipe I have a beat up Yosh off of a 600 gixxer you can have if you wanna pick it up at my place. It's kinda ugly but better than nothin'...
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
S14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
I have absolutly no idea but if you want a free pipe I have a beat up Yosh off of a 600 gixxer you can have if you wanna pick it up at my place. It's kinda ugly but better than nothin'...

haha. I dont think thats going to fit a 500R.
S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcain
the other day i was riding home from UH and i noticed that my exhaust sounded different. i thouhgt nothing of it and continued to ride home. well, when i get to my house, i get off my bike and realize that one of my canisters blew off. i dont know the exact details of where, when, or how this happened, but it did. I bought my 2000 Kawasaki EX500 from some guy who put this F1 slip ons on the bike (they go for about 50 on ebay). is this going to hurt my engine with one can on and one off? thanks for the help guys.

cliff notes: one of my canisters blew off my bike, is it bad for my engine to run with only one of two cans?
i may have the stock cans if you want to buy them, used for 10 miles before i changed to sarachu racing pipes!!!!..10 bucks a can!!!!!!...lol
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
pimpcain

Bike(s):
2000 EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.S. Motorsports
lol how did you not notice
it happened on the freeway i guess, i was on the HOV and thought that my bike sounded different, but i figured i was just hearing things... then i got home, and say my bike minus a can.... oh well, i was planning on getting rid of that piece of exhaust anyways..... and i might take you up on those cans flipboy

edit- how much and where did you get the sarachus? i was thinking about getting a set eventually
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcain
it happened on the freeway i guess, i was on the HOV and thought that my bike sounded different, but i figured i was just hearing things... then i got home, and say my bike minus a can.... oh well, i was planning on getting rid of that piece of exhaust anyways..... and i might take you up on those cans flipboy

edit- how much and where did you get the sarachus? i was thinking about getting a set eventually
ebay is your friend...i got mine with shipping for 160...ask Solracer how it sounded...i was still newbie to bikes to give you an opinion...or ask newrider05 how it sounds...he's the guy i sold it to.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
pimpcain

Bike(s):
2000 EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy326
ebay is your friend...i got mine with shipping for 160...ask Solracer how it sounded...i was still newbie to bikes to give you an opinion...or ask newrider05 how it sounds...he's the guy i sold it to.
ive heard them before, they sound freakin sick, i love em

Advertisement