MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Electrical Help: Headlight won't turn on!!!

Alright man, I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with my headlight. Last April 15, I took off for downtown aroung 11pm to drop off my taxes. I decided to take the bike to beat the traffic and congestion, but about 2 miles after I left, my headlight just blanked out!!! I had to pull over, try to figure out wth happened, couldn't fix on the spot, pushed my bike back home, and made it to DT in my cage less than 5 minutes before midnight!! Whew!!

Anyway, i still can't figure it out. The fuse is good, the bulb is good, and as far as I can tell I got continuity from the battery to the bulb.

I studied the 919 Wiring Diagram http://m51142.googlepages.com/919schematic.jpg , and it seems the the blue/white wire from the starter switch assembly is the primary wire that feeds the headlight and high beam indicator via branch-off blue (high beam) and white (low beam)wires.

I am only "concluding" that there must be power from the battery to the starter switch assemply (via the yellow/red wire) because otherwise the bike would not be able to start at all. It starts and runs just fine... it's just the headlight and high-beam indicator that's out.

If you notice on the Wiring Diagram, there is a black/red wire leaving parallel with the blue/white (headlight) wire from the starter switch (The blue/white wire is directly connected to the switch itself, along with the black/red wire). The black/red wire continues on through the Clutch Diode, via a fusable link?, and connects to the Ignition Switch via a red/black wire. I figure this is designed to turn off the headlight during the Ignition Process, when the starter button is depressed.

I'm completely lost from here, because unless I'm doing something wrong in my testing, I'm finding continuity on the blue/white wire from where it leaves the starter switch assembly, through the brown connector, through the black connector, and into the Turn Signal Switch Assembly. Then from the Turn Signal, there is continuity via the white and blue wires to the headlight bulb.

Any ideas?

Also, i'm considering "jumping" a wire, at the brown connector, from the blue/white connection, to the black/red connection. Will this cause any potential electrical damage (or further it, actually)? If I jump the wires, knowing that the black/red wire is definitely still hot (because the bike starts and runs fine), then I figured the headlight oughto turn on. On which side should I jump the wires, if it's even a good idea at all? What are the potential damages that I could do? I just don't wanna fry something and make a small problem into a bigger one!!! But I think it oughto work, at least in theory.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights won't turn on. eiceman How To's and Q & A's 5 06-09-2014 12:18 PM
Bike won't turn off with key or switch cbr1000rr Fireblade05 How To's and Q & A's 6 08-27-2013 09:53 PM
2007 CBR 1000RR. *Need HEADLIGHT, TURN SIGNAL SWITCH* floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-25-2012 08:11 AM
Ignition won't turn off kyle How To's and Q & A's 20 10-25-2010 08:19 PM
HelP! bike won't turn on :( Maverick How To's and Q & A's 42 11-15-2006 07:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I had a problem with mine. It turned out to be a broken solder connection in the right grip. The connection where the ignition switch is had broken loose. I was gettin cause everything looked good, but no lights. I opened the housing around the switch and it was kind of dark in the garage and I saw an arc and the light came on. It sparked and I knew I was on the right track. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and re soldered it. Good as new.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Hmm, if the switch has power and the circuit is intact to the light, then maybe the starter switch is bad? Can you get the headlight to light up by bypassing the starter switch and jumping power directly to the headlight circuit? Is the ground connection good?

Looks like the wires that you are testing go into the Turn Signal Switch Assembly are going specifically to the Hi/Lo headlight switch. Can you test the switch through W to Bu/W on the Lo setting and Bu to Bu/W on the Hi setting to test the headlight switch?

I think the easiest thing to do to find the failure is to test each section in order starting closest to ground. Put one lead of a multimeter on the common ground near the battery, with the other start on the ground connection of the headlight itself. Then to the headlight side of the headlight switch and then the other side (making sure to test the connection that you have selected on the switch). Then to the headlight side of the starter switch and the other. Then to the headlight side of the fuse box and the other (Bl/R to R/Bl). There's only three wires out of the ignition switch and nothing else should work if there's no power from there so that should be fine, but check it anyway. We all know what Assuming does.

Let me know if you want some help this weekend and I'll grab my multimeter and swing by.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
There was another member you know that had that very problem. We found one of the switches in the starter to have an open, not providing power to the headlight stalk on the left side.

We ended up making a jumper wire from one of the other wires at the starter switch to power up the headlights...

I will be out of town this weekend. I have a continuity/power and switchable ground tool that acts as a jumper wire if you wanna jump the switch and provide power to ensure the wiring past the switch it good. Another way would be to make a fuse w two wires and jump the power wire going in to the switch with the one coming out. We found that connector on his Honda on the l/s fairing stay.

TBH Rob, the jump worked just fine. He still rides with it and I would have done the same on my bike.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
DIAGRAMFORROB
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna first check the solder connection at the starter assembly, per bluewave's suggestion, and hopefully that might be the problem. I've already checked for continuity of the wires with my multimeter, which is why I got stumped, but it could very well be the connection itself, especially at a solder joint. That makes sense.

If worse comes to worse, I'll try the jumper per caligon's sketch-up, as an end-all fix-all, especially now that I feel more secure doing so.

And thanks for the offer of help, Mic. It's great to know your there to help if I need ya! If none of the above works, then I'll let you know!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Any time my friend! I am by no means an electrical expert, but I'm happy to help where I can.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
ccalvin
what what in the ?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2020 yamaha ninja gsxr 1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
It turned out to be a broken solder connection in the right grip.
+1 to that. if you have continuity in all your wires, and the bulb works, my best best would be a problem at the connection. good luck!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
ducktape + flashlight = headlight!
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

The jump worked! I didn't bother to use a jumper wire. Instead, I used a Tap In Squeeze connector, since the blue/white and black/red wires are right next to each other. You can jump to either the black/red or the white/black as Matt suggested. I did the connection on the other side of the plug, as well.

I found out that this is a common problem with the Honda Starter Switch, and the usual suspect is the solder connection. I didn't want to bother with that since I don't have too much faith in my soldering, so I opted for the bypass.

A new Starter Switch Assembly costs 70 bucks from the dealer. I got the connectors from Radio Shack for 2 bucks.

Thanks again! Especially Matt for the guidance via text messages
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Awesome man! Glad to hear that it's working now.

Advertisement