MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0r3n0 View Post
If i'm not mistaken they can go after the registered owner of the bike...no insurance means they probably can take to her...i think civil court...and sue her...

also, is the bike paid off by your g/f...or does she still have it financed? Are you or your g/f willing to put up the money in case the bike is crashed and he stops paying you? I mean great friends are great...lol...but when in tight situations they will try to be the "victims" and try to get out of it...IMO...get the bike back or make him get insurance.
Good advice. Something to really look into and consider. This is a potential headache that you don't want to have.

I have had friends and relatives over the years ask for me to co-sign or to pay me for something and I have said no just to see them find someone else and it turned into a bad deal for them.

I know that this is a dicey situation and it's hard to rectify it now that you are already in it. But you would really be in your best intrest to find a solution so that you can sleep better at night knowing that the right measures have been taken. And after all is said and done don't make another special deal like this again. Good luck.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like some input TigerGenetics General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-06-2013 08:44 PM
need some input Chaos Off Topic 5 12-13-2009 09:14 PM
Input Please TribalBlade General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 11-03-2008 10:59 PM
Input on HID's zac5876 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-27-2008 03:36 PM
NEED ADVICE..OR AT LEAST INPUT GSxR GiRl General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-11-2008 11:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Well, hold on... is there a contract to purchase that he signed saying he was taking over responsibility for the vehicle? Without that, it seems she's just 'renting' the bike to him now.

Friends should have no problem handling this business with contracts when you are dealing with things like this - for both parties sake. If this is just a verbal agreement, that's a heck of a liability. You might have some level of proof if he's been writing checks to pay for it, but without a contract for sale - it's still questionable.

So - in the event of a problem - and he denies ownership of the bike (lousy, but likely if he's in real trouble), you would have to be in the position of testifying that he didn't have permission to ride it (he stole it), otherwise, you'd be zinged for not having the insurance... otherwise, you'd have to prove you haven't ridden it since the insurance expired.

If you have a contract for sale - you've legally shifted responsibility over to the buyer, including for insurance, and should require him to have insurance just to cover the financial burden of the payments...

Until then, he's just borrowing it on your gf's liability. She's not only extended credit, she's extended her legal liability to whatever he does with the bike!!

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #23
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Besides that - unless he has a contract - she could take the bike back at any time, no matter what he's paid - and he would simply be out the money! He should welcome formalizing the business...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

The worst part of this is that you are tippy toeing around it b/c this guy is a friend. If it comes down to your friend getting into trouble the simple fact is it's your girl's bike until it's put into his name. I think you'll all be much happier after you lay it out on the table and make him " or get off the pot" when it comes to really taking over the bike or just renting it as mentioned above...

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
friends and money, don't mix. repo the bike, if he's a real friend he'll understand, if not move on.
+1
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
Besides that - unless he has a contract - she could take the bike back at any time, no matter what he's paid - and he would simply be out the money! He should welcome formalizing the business...
I would think that if he did'nt welcome formalizing the business his integrity would be in question big time, friend or not. He could at the least make good on that.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #27
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

insurance doesnt take effect till the next day even if you were a previous customer i know i had to go one day with out insurance (didnt drive cuz the ticket is too expensive and murphy's law appiles to me) so even if he buys it same day he gets pulled over he will still have to pay ticket which is like 5 times what liability only would cost. inspection and registration dont affect others on road there is a small grace period for gettin that done but still a fine.

try goin to a lawyer or write a contract of your own stating he must keep bike legal or something cuz i dunno if the bike is still in your name you might someway be held liable dunno im not a laywer.

make him sign it or repo it cuz if its in your name its still your bike or make him get the loan in his name then its all his responsibilty.

thats why i always make friends pay cash before buy anything from friends owing friends money never works (again murphys law)

what if he wrecks it and with no insurance decides he not paying for it anymore?

you are stuck between a rock and a hard place gl and hope it works out
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1
b18c1ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement