MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
cz3ch

Feedback Rating: (0)

When a death yields fruit

So I've been toying around with riding for the last few years. Playing around with a 250r and a 500r in my neighborhood but sold them since I didn't have a lot of time to devote to riding and learning more. I'm wanting to take my MSF and really get my technique down and UNlearn some of my bad habits.

Recently a good friend of mine passed away (no he didn't down) unexpectedly and we were like brothers. His wife was parting out his stuff and I was able to get a bunch of pictures of he/I etc for memory sake. Then there was the matter of his bike(s). He had an 07 Busa slammed and blacked out, and also a 06 GSXR also lowered, with steering dampener, sliders, etc both bikes low miles.

His wife offered them to me and I said no, that she should sell them but she insisted that he would have wanted me to have them. So now thanks to her generosity I'm sitting on two insane bikes.

Here is my dilemna. I've been riding (inconsistently) for a couple of years, haven't taken my MSF, and really need some practice/skill improvement before I would even begin to feel comfortable on a 600 or a Busa. I really do not want to sell these bikes as they are very nice, practically brand new, and they were my friend's so they mean something to me.

Short of everyone jumping on this thread and saying "sell them" and pointing me back to the "600 a good first bike?" thread, what would you suggest for someone who is capable of riding and learning and who really wants to advance his skillset yet is concerned that the bike(s) will be too much?

I know for a fact I'm NOT riding the Busa, but I would consider the 600.

I apologize in advance if I seem like I'm fishing for flames, but I'm not. I'd really like some advice if possible. I have read all of Code's books, have practiced my riding yet am still not confident enough to get past a 500, am going to schedule my MSF now that I have more time in my job to ride/etc.

This is more of a "what would you do?" thread than anything.

Thanks in advance, guys!

-cz-
cz3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trip to RoudTop Yields new Saw AFS_Racing Off Topic 3 10-01-2011 06:20 PM
can you ever eat to much fruit? OMEGA Health and Fitness 21 05-28-2009 02:59 PM
Fruit of my Labor. Street Ninja Off Topic 26 02-23-2009 12:06 AM
Fruit Flies - What do do?? TeXasGiXXer Off Topic 47 03-24-2008 04:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

It sounds like you have a good plan. Take the MSF and whatever other courses you can find.... and practice. When I jumped up from a little cruiser to my katana 600 (I know...nothing like your 2 bikes), I went to a parking lot and practiced quick stops, tight turns, etc. Better to get used to how your bike feels in a relatively safe place, how it handles when you really hit the brakes, adjusting your lean, braking while turning....rather than on the frwy. I then put about 100 miles on it just ridin' around my neighborhood. Take it one step at a time. BTW, RIP for your friend...and prayers for you and his family.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Check these guys out...Best in the biz if you ask me, they are also a site sponsor...

www.awesomecycles.com

follow the link below

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=107
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2move View Post
It sounds like you have a good plan. Take the MSF and whatever other courses you can find.... and practice. When I jumped up from a little cruiser to my katana 600 (I know...nothing like your 2 bikes), I went to a parking lot and practiced quick stops, tight turns, etc. Better to get used to how your bike feels in a relatively safe place, how it handles when you really hit the brakes, adjusting your lean, braking while turning....rather than on the frwy. I then put about 100 miles on it just ridin' around my neighborhood. Take it one step at a time. BTW, RIP for your friend...and prayers for you and his family.
One thing I've learned is, you can get in trouble with any bike. From a 50 to a 1400. It's all about how you handle yourself and maintain an awareness of what you are doing. I always refer back to 15 years ago in High School Driver's Ed and it's "IPDE" process. IDENTIFY-PREDICT-DECIDE-EXECUTE.

That's what I'm going to do a bit before hand and TONS after my MSF course. I just don't want to ride too much as to potentially concrete any bad habits I may have picked up (trust me I have quite a few.. aka Mr. Whiteknuckles).

I took the 600 next door to a CVS parking lot where there is a loading zone and have done figure eights, light accelleration, quick stops, etc. But g*d , this 600 gets up fast. I really have to refer back to my "Twist of the Wrist" book to brush up on throttle control/etc. Every bike is different. The 250/500 I rode I had room for play on the throttle, the GSXR is touchy (not as bad as the R6 I rode a while back). A slight flick of the wrist and boom I'm doing 60.

Thanks, I'm sure my friend will be happy that his bikes are getting some use. Now let's hope I don't drop them :P
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Frame Sliders if they don't have 'em because you will drop one or both eventually. MSF, M License, Insurance, and LoJack

GEAR! GEAR! GEAR!

Helmet, Gloves and armor jacket for starters. Boots and pants if you can afford them.

Good luck. RIP to your friend. Peace for his family.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I would sale the Busa and give the money from that sale to the widow. I would keep the GSXR and ride it.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
I would sale the Busa and give the money from that sale to the widow. I would keep the GSXR and ride it.
I offered, however she insisted that I keep it... As he put a lot of work into it..
Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
hectikillusions
your noob b**ch

Bike(s):
in process.....

Send a message via Yahoo to hectikillusions
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
don't really think she would be happy with him if he sold either bike, think that this is more of a "sentimental value" situation and she might take it as an insult. but whow buddy on her part I know that its a difficult stage in her life and she is doin what she feels is right I say make the best of it and enjoy it.
hectikillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Busa Busa Busa ... the bike will only go as fast as you can trun your wrist... as long as you keep a kool head and donw try to do anything stupid like riding around @ 186mph you will be fine just take your time and ride within your skills ... you will be fine on both the Busa and the GSXR
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Busa Busa Busa ... the bike will only go as fast as you can trun your wrist... as long as you keep a kool head and donw try to do anything stupid like riding around @ 186mph you will be fine just take your time and ride within your skills ... you will be fine on both the Busa and the GSXR
The Busa can definitely be "slow and low" when it wants to be.... I've taken it up and down the street... it's got a ton of power to it, but it's not as twitchy as the GSXR600 which I like. And I like the heavy feel of the bike.

I am sincerely trying to liquidate so that she can utilize the funds as it's the right thing to do, or at least one of them.

I was considering buying another bike in the interim to work on (like a sv650/etc) to get my chops up before I get on either one of these... But I also feel that if I keep a level head, practice sanely, educate and take my courses I can learn on any bike.

In the end, bikes don't exercise bad judgement, people do!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

man sorry for your loss to begin with, and yeah msf wil teach you somethings you may not of known or may of forgotten, the thing with th3e busa is all on your maturity level, 600 will turn on you justy as fast as a busa will man, take your time dont exceed you limits, always be aware what and whos around you, and you should be fine, gl mayn
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man sorry for your loss to begin with, and yeah msf wil teach you somethings you may not of known or may of forgotten, the thing with th3e busa is all on your maturity level, 600 will turn on you justy as fast as a busa will man, take your time dont exceed you limits, always be aware what and whos around you, and you should be fine, gl mayn
Thanks Omega.. I'm 31 and considered mature... I watch all the squid on Westheimer and at StarBucks stunting, acting a fool, etc and I just wonder how long it will be until they end up as road kill. It's provided me with many lessons of "what not to do".

I'm thinking of this as an investment in life... I'm going to schedule my MSF this weekend (for next week or next avail), then hitting Motorcycles Unlimited tomorrow to get fitted for all my gear and drop a load on that (can never be too safe!).. And we'll go from there..

It's good to see such supportive people here!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Sorry for your loss...

Why bother keeping the bikes if they are not going to be ridden? I would sell the bikes and give the money to the widow (as others have suggested). If the deceased had kids, then sell the bikes and open a college saving account for the kids. I know he would have liked you to have them, but if your not going to ride them, then I am pretty sure your buddy didn't want his bikes to be kept in a garage collecting dust and aging. Give the bikes new life by giving them to people that will and can actually ride them (since you do not have the time).
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
Sorry for your loss...

Why bother keeping the bikes if they are not going to be ridden? I would sell the bikes and give the money to the widow (as others have suggested). If the deceased had kids, then sell the bikes and open a college saving account for the kids. I know he would have liked you to have them, but if your not going to ride them, then I am pretty sure your buddy didn't want his bikes to be kept in a garage collecting dust and aging. Give the bikes new life by giving them to people that will and can actually ride them (since you do not have the time).
I've tried that but she insists on me keeping them. I'm letting the grieving process settle then I will approach her again. They had no kids and she's well-off, but I still think it's the right thing to do. I'm keeping my options open, we'll see how things progress, thanks for the feedback
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
I would ride the 600 and keep the Busa. They are good for posing and not meant for riding. Sounds like a good friend and I would want who ever got my bike and Jeep to keep them and ride.

RIP to your friend.

+1
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Sell both bikes. Give her the money. If she refuses, put the cash in a trust in her name for later use. She may be fine now and insists you keep them, but a widow / widower has a long way toward recovering mentally and there is a good chance she can use it in the future. Your friend (or most anyone) would have wanted you to take care of his loved ones, not ridden a bike in his memory.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Sell both bikes. Give her the money. If she refuses, put the cash in a trust in her name for later use. She may be fine now and insists you keep them, but a widow / widower has a long way toward recovering mentally and there is a good chance she can use it in the future. Your friend (or most anyone) would have wanted you to take care of his loved ones, not ridden a bike in his memory.

It's ultimately my plan as I said before.. I have a couple of friends who are serious and responsible riders (and friends of my deceased comrade) that are ready to pick them up at more than market value. Again it's the right thing to do, I just didn't want to upset her further, ergo why I'm sitting on them. Either way it's urged me to ride and move forward...

-cz-
Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz3ch View Post
It's ultimately my plan as I said before.. I have a couple of friends who are serious and responsible riders (and friends of my deceased comrade) that are ready to pick them up at more than market value. Again it's the right thing to do, I just didn't want to upset her further, ergo why I'm sitting on them. Either way it's urged me to ride and move forward...

-cz-

I think you are doing the right thing holding on to them for the moment. What she is facing may or may not have had a chance to sink in. I doubt she will regret giving them to you later unless you seemed ungratefuly by off loading them (even if the money is for her) too quickly.

Keep your chin up - It's gets better.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #20
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaner-n-u View Post
I think you are doing the right thing holding on to them for the moment. What she is facing may or may not have had a chance to sink in. I doubt she will regret giving them to you later unless you seemed ungratefuly by off loading them (even if the money is for her) too quickly.

Keep your chin up - It's gets better.

Yeah, we all need some time to let it soak in. In the end it's not even about the bikes, it's about my friend. I think this thread turned from noob rider advice to a morality call from the peanut gallery. I'm fortunate to have known my friend and his wife is an incredibly generous person. And whatever I decide I know I'm going to get on a bike and learn and become proficient as my friend always pushed me to do it, but I never really felt the drive until now.

Advertisement