Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





so far i haven't found anyone that rides around my area...but i will keep looking...
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike off overpass closed freeways? cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 04-20-2010 10:18 AM
Defensive Driving PYROBUG51 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 12-17-2008 03:29 PM
New R6 break in procedure - avoid freeways? TX-Zen How To's and Q & A's 27 10-05-2008 05:58 AM
let's rape some freeways! lbjasonc Events, Meets and Rides 227 09-19-2008 12:49 PM
thats driving! RACER X Off Topic 6 02-22-2008 12:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
GHOSTRIDER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LaPorte tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 421


Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000>>> sold sold>>> no bike
08 CBR1000RR








post a pic of your bike those new body styles are sweet.
GHOSTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





cimg1197jr1

That's my baby!!
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!
 
PoPoRiderRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,309

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***









Relax on the freeway... as many have already said... Sometimes the wind does tend to move you around but that is part of being on a bike... if you go to pass and 18-wheeler, crouch down a bit so that you can make yourself less resistant to the air... if you do start to move around then just tighten your legs a bit and ride it out... you will be fine
__________________
We do not take these risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping Us.
PoPoRiderRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,587

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







You'll get the feel for it. All the things that tripped me out at first...
1. Groves in the pavement.
2. Seams (especially on 290)
3. The bumps (that alert you I guess) on major freeway interchanges or curves
4. Wind gusts
5. 18 wheelers going in the opposite directions wind gusts
6. Man hole covers or drainage things
7. City (I dont know the proper name for them)
8. Pavement paint

Anyway..now that I have experienced all those things at least 5000 times I feel confortable. In the wind, like everyone said, I get up on the bike and lay on the tank. Makes a world of difference. Then again, my bike is heavier than yours so be careful.

I live at N. Main and 45. Brookesmith addition. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I live at N. Main and 45. Brookesmith addition. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.
Cool...i'm usually riding around over there...
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






I'm at I-10 and Westcott, more or less. I'd be happy to get together on a weekend morning & putt around surface streets inside the loop -- and I do mean putt: nothing fast, no stunting. , I don't even know how to stunt. I'm just a 41 year old (geezer by this board's standards, I think) with ~25,000 miles of accident-free riding. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on right, I'd be happy to help out.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #28
specterunseen
El Brilliante
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, Tx
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 1,592

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity






1) Don't transmit tension or body movement to your bike through your arms. Let them be relaxed. The bike is naturally balanced while at speed, jerking it or forcing it to do something is destablizing. Control it, but don't force it.

2.) Grip the tank with your knees. If you are going to be tense, let it be in your knees squeezing tank.

3.) Get Pirelli Sport Demons asap. I have them and big difference. The have a different groove pattern from stock (what comes on the ninja stock now anyway? i have an 07, so i don't know if you have better tires on the 08). The tread pattern with a groove straight down the middle makes it follow road imperfections more easily.

4) Start reading Twist of the Wrist II. Good riding advice.

5) Lastly, ride in no traffic, slow speeds and build up!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
I'm at I-10 and Westcott, more or less. I'd be happy to get together on a weekend morning & putt around surface streets inside the loop -- and I do mean putt: nothing fast, no stunting. , I don't even know how to stunt. I'm just a 41 year old (geezer by this board's standards, I think) with ~25,000 miles of accident-free riding. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on right, I'd be happy to help out.
cool...maybe on the weekend you can show me a few tricks.... knows i need them!!!
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #30
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
1) Don't transmit tension or body movement to your bike through your arms. Let them be relaxed. The bike is naturally balanced while at speed, jerking it or forcing it to do something is destablizing. Control it, but don't force it.

2.) Grip the tank with your knees. If you are going to be tense, let it be in your knees squeezing tank.

3.) Get Pirelli Sport Demons asap. I have them and big difference. The have a different groove pattern from stock (what comes on the ninja stock now anyway? i have an 07, so i don't know if you have better tires on the 08). The tread pattern with a groove straight down the middle makes it follow road imperfections more easily.

4) Start reading Twist of the Wrist II. Good riding advice.

5) Lastly, ride in no traffic, slow speeds and build up!
yeah i started squeezing my knees to the tanks and it does make a difference. The tires i'm not sure, i'll check and post later what type of tires it comes with. I actually downloaded the Twist of the Wrist I, but when I tried getting the second one, it kept messing up...so i am missing the II one. At the moment i am comfortable riding in and out of traffic at about 50 mph (where that is the speed limit) I have driven in downtown and have made use of the quick stop, swerving...I did start riding in no traffic and then i moved up to the traffic...so i'm taking baby steps...but i will get there..!
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





I'm tellin you man, just relax and you'll be fine. I think your biggest problem is YOU keep over analyzing everything and going over all the "what if" scenarios you won't be able to enjoy riding. Riding is supposed to be fun, so relax and enjoy it. Just keep in mind what you've learned to be safe and use that.


So you up for a ride this weekend or you gonna sell me out again?
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #32
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
I'm tellin you man, just relax and you'll be fine. I think your biggest problem is YOU keep over analyzing everything and going over all the "what if" scenarios you won't be able to enjoy riding. Riding is supposed to be fun, so relax and enjoy it. Just keep in mind what you've learned to be safe and use that.


So you up for a ride this weekend or you gonna sell me out again?
where to dude?? and haven't you learned...more than likely i will sell you out.. lol..just playing...let me know where to and the back roads
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #33
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





LMAO, I'll ride up there and you can follow me. Just don't freak out if we end up on a freeway or two.
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
LMAO, I'll ride up there and you can follow me. Just don't freak out if we end up on a freeway or two.
Cool man...i'll be waiting...oh and dont worry...i wont freak out...i'll just do like a ninja and disappear for a minute while you get off the freeway... and i catch up on the feeder...lol
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #35
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0r3n0 View Post
Cool man...i'll be waiting...oh and dont worry...i wont freak out...i'll just do like a ninja and disappear for a minute while you get off the freeway... and i catch up on the feeder...lol
That's right, embrace the ninja!
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #36
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





Oh BTW, you got a nice bike man....
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #37
JRxGRUBZx
.............
 
JRxGRUBZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: h**town
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14,325

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .






dont you just love the wind gust from a 18 wheeler going the opposite direction ! ............ city or bumps almost handed it to me the other night
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You'll get the feel for it. All the things that tripped me out at first...
1. Groves in the pavement.
2. Seams (especially on 290)
3. The bumps (that alert you I guess) on major freeway interchanges or curves
4. Wind gusts
5. 18 wheelers going in the opposite directions wind gusts
6. Man hole covers or drainage things
7. City (I dont know the proper name for them)
8. Pavement paint

Anyway..now that I have experienced all those things at least 5000 times I feel confortable. In the wind, like everyone said, I get up on the bike and lay on the tank. Makes a world of difference. Then again, my bike is heavier than yours so be careful.

I live at N. Main and 45. Brookesmith addition. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #38
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r
 
BMoreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,911

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None




Member Garage





yeah i like yours too....i was thinking about getting the same one as you...but i'm like no...i'll just get the Black Ninja 250....
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #39
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0r3n0 View Post
yeah i like yours too....i was thinking about getting the same one as you...but i'm like no...i'll just get the Black Ninja 250....
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #40
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
dont you just love the wind gust from a 18 wheeler going the opposite direction ! ............ city or bumps almost handed it to me the other night
I got my first dose of a wind gust from a tour bus I was passing on the Freeway... I was surprised and it made my pucker a lil
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy