MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Need advice on driving on freeways...

hey guys...i really need your advice/help....

here's a lil bit about myself so that you can understand my question(s).

Just bought my 08 250R on 3/29/08, to answer this question: Yes, I already took the MSF course, got my driver's license and have full coverage insurance. I have some gear: A Dainese Perforated Leather Jacket (i think it's one of the new ones), a helmet and gloves. I still need boots, but will post another thread later to see which one would be better...enough about me...to the questions...

When i got on the freeway I was doing about 60 but felt the bike sort of move left and right. So i got off the freeway in the next exit. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Wind today was suppose to be at about 10-20 mph. I got scared...lol :/:

Is it because the 250 is not that heavy, also would it be due to me being 150 lbs...man...i need all the help...or is it just in my head?
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike off overpass closed freeways? cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 04-20-2010 10:18 AM
Defensive Driving PYROBUG51 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 12-17-2008 03:29 PM
New R6 break in procedure - avoid freeways? TX-Zen How To's and Q & A's 27 10-05-2008 05:58 AM
let's rape some freeways! lbjasonc Events, Meets and Rides 227 09-19-2008 12:49 PM
thats driving! RACER X Off Topic 6 02-22-2008 12:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Well, yes, and yes, then there's a maybe and a not enough information too.

What do you mean you "felt it move left and right"? Was there a groove in the pavement or seam? Sounds like a pavement thing to me...
Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0r3n0 View Post
hey guys...i really need your advice/help....

here's a lil bit about myself so that you can understand my question(s).

Just bought my 08 250R on 3/29/08, to answer this question: Yes, I already took the MSF course, got my driver's license and have full coverage insurance. I have some gear: A Dainese Perforated Leather Jacket (i think it's one of the new ones), a helmet and gloves. I still need boots, but will post another thread later to see which one would be better...enough about me...to the questions...

When i got on the freeway I was doing about 60 but felt the bike sort of move left and right. So i got off the freeway in the next exit. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Wind today was suppose to be at about 10-20 mph. I got scared...lol :/:

Is it because the 250 is not that heavy, also would it be due to me being 150 lbs...man...i need all the help...or is it just in my head?
hey man i have a suzuki 500 and it happens to me too, is normal due to the weight of the bike, sometimes when i go to glaveston it hets worse

what i do is lean on the tank a little and close your arms towards your body

with time you will learn to lean the bike against the wind, yes is scary at the beginning, but you will get used to it

go a little below the speed limit for the first 2 or 3 times, then gradually increase your speed. it just takes time

now in the meantime, try to get more space between you and cars, un till you can maneage better

be safe out there
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Well, yes, and yes, then there's a maybe and a not enough information too.

What do you mean you "felt it move left and right"? Was there a groove in the pavement or seam? Sounds like a pavement thing to me...
well the road did have a lil bit of grooves...what i meant by left and right was that i felt the winds sorta pushing me and felt it slightly go left and slightly go right...uummm......i thought it would be easier to explain... I think it's just the wind...i guess the only thing i'm scared about it just that the wind will knock me down.

well about the grooves...how would i handle those...i rode in a street with lots of those and it wasn't nice...should i worry lots about that or as long as i dont do something stupid i should be fine?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Sounds like pavement or maybe wind. I ride a zx7 and way right at 200. I just prefer to stay off the freeway if I can. Bikes will follow groves in the road. Just be CAREFUL!
So far I have been good about staying off the freeway...i know some back roads so i take those...but i think eventually i will need to get on the freeways to ride to lengthy places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
hey man i have a suzuki 500 and it happens to me too, is normal due to the weight of the bike, sometimes when i go to glaveston it hets worse

with time you will learn to lean the bike against the wind, yes is scary at the beginning, but you will get used to it

go a little below the speed limit for the first 2 or 3 times, then gradually increase your speed. it just takes time

now in the meantime, try to get more space between you and cars, un till you can maneage better

be safe out there
Yeah i only get on the freeway and get off the next exit...so basically i am just trying out right now...
Leans towards the tank and arms towards my body...gotcha...tanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
It's the wind. You won't fall over. Remember there's been millions of people before you that have ridden these bikes and been fine. Concentrate on the road and let the bike do it's thing.

GL and nice bike

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Thanks all you guys for the info...it will help me out a lot.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

my opinion is that houston freeways are not the place to really learn about your bike. If u are doing the speed limit on the freeway, that will scare you more than the bike. When u have people in their cages passing you doing 20+ over your speed it tends to make it scary. Coming to work tonight, 290 to I-10 to channelview, 5pm ish i was doing 80+ and was being passed by about as many as i was passing.
as usual it is my opinion tho.
Just get out and ride it and once the controls become second nature it will be less scary and stressfull.
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

Do as many wheelies as possible.. That way you cut through the wind.
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Biggest advice? Relax. When I first started to ride on the freeway I was always really tense and that just amplified every bump and every gust ... just relax and you'll come to realize that this kind of stuff will become the norm and you will even start noticing that you will be compensating for bumps and gust without even thinking about it.

it's all about muscle memory and just getting comfortable on the bike in various situations.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter1125 View Post
Do as many wheelies as possible.. That way you cut through the wind.
well after 4 wheelies i didn't see a difference...should i try front wheelis then....

man i would never do wheelies...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0r3n0 View Post
well after 4 wheelies i didn't see a difference...should i try front wheelis then....

man i would never do wheelies...
Never?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97900rr01f4i View Post
Never?
ssshhh...!!!!....maybe later...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
sunshyn
Sunshyn

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post

be safe out there

I have a Ninja 500 and I'm all of 120 lbs. When I took her out on the freeway the other day (by mistake mind you, the feeder was not a feeder but an on ramp in santa fe, haha) I had the same thoughts as you did. The wind was forcing me left and hard right. I was pretty scared too. I just did the same thing that he said... I leaned way over on the tank to get my body out of the way, and it helped a lot. With me just learning to ride, I still was uncomfortable on the freeway so I got off on the next exit as well.

As far as the 250 goes, be careful about the freeway. There was a guy on here 'bout 2-3 weeks ago that said that he got blown off the freeway. (I think its in the "riders down this year thread". I'm sure it's not deff. always going to happen, but it can. Even on my 500 I'm sure.

Good luck
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
You just need to relax and ride that thing.
Dont stress-out and get a death grip . breathe and relax.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

what side of town you at?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
what side of town you at?
I'm ova here by 45 and tidwell/airline....close to north main and 45 if you dont know where tidwell is...

So i tried what you all recommended...but i didn't get on the freeway. A lil while ago it was really windy and I was doing 50-55 so i felt the wind push me...

I then leaned towards the tank, tucked my legs into the tank, and wow...did that make a difference, i didn't hear wind or anything...not sure how to explain it but it was awesome...a few more of those and then maybe then i will be ready for the freeway...

Thanks again guyz...you all are awesome...including me...lol
Old 04-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

well my mind would be at ease knowing its an 08 but dont let that fool you, taker your time i ride a sv1k weighs about 400 sumthin lbs and i get pushed in the wind all the time so dont think its just because your on a lighter bike, this is what riding is all about , learning to be in controll of your bike, also try to get pointers from people in your area to how to do basic maint. check

Advertisement