MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

i can guarentee there aren't enough weekender grinder/welder/chainsawers for the gov't to worry about.

so does TX have a helmet law?

not sure what the brain bucket comment is meant to say? they're not effective?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another one dies on fm2100 last night craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-07-2011 11:57 AM
rider dies from 6-19 wreck craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-30-2010 12:00 PM
Friday Night Minis 3/19/10 PimpDaub Events, Meets and Rides 39 03-31-2010 05:14 PM
3/19 Friday Night - Starbucks Caffeine Cruise!!!! CMA.ZOMBIE Events, Meets and Rides 1 03-19-2010 01:33 PM
Anyone riding? Sat night 05/19 TheMagicMan Events, Meets and Rides 1 05-19-2007 08:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #22
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

They're not effective, typically, at higher speeds. I read statistics somewhere which showed that.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVrod
They're not effective, typically, at higher speeds. I read statistics somewhere which showed that.
UM WRONG..........and whats more effective your nekkid head or helmet head.......think about it

Bash helms

^ thats from 140mph into a pole..........he's alive........and back to work as an EMT

Quote:
Myth—Statistics show that fatality rates are lower in states without helmet laws.

Fact—Comparisons should be across years within the same state rather than across states in the same year. This is because states differ significantly on a number of factors, such as weather, length of riding season, population density, urban versus rural roads. The real issue is what happens within a state after a helmet law is adopted or repealed.

Myth—Motorcycles are a small percentage of registered vehicles, thus motorcycle crashes represent a minuscule burden to society.

Fact—Motorcycles are only 2 percent of the registered vehicles nationally, but motorcyclist fatalities are 5 percent of traffic fatalities each year. Motorcyclists account for over 2,100 fatalities and 56,000 injuries.49 The fatality rate per mile traveled for motorcyclists is 16 times that of car occupants, and the injury rate is about 4 times that of car occupants.
good read

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ike/myths.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ebike/toc.html

whats the #1 cause of death in motorcycle accidents?

btw, do you wear a "turtle shell" helmet or 3/4 face or full face?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #24
TxVrod

No, I'm not arguing that they're ineffective. In fact, they are. If not, then what's the point of the invention, as it is. My point was that in higher-speed crashes, survivability in a crash is going to be low, helmet or not.

That's not the argument here, though. The argument is that safety should be the responsibility of the individual - not the responsibility of the government.

Also a good read: http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/helmet.html

Here are some highlights:

"The "social burden" or "cost to the taxpayer" argument is a recurring theme in a variety of issues. It is frequently used in attempts to enact increasingly onerous laws. The targets of these laws are portrayed in the poorest possible light and usually overlooked as taxpayers themselves. Such has been the case with motorcyclists and the helmet issue."

" Claim: Injured motorcyclists are uninsured and rely upon the public to pay for their injuries.
Response: Motorcyclists are just as likely to be privately insured as any other road user. If a motorcyclist's injuries are not covered by insurance, it is often because their employer has denied them these benefits."

It goes on....
Old 10-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #25
TxVrod

Oh... and I wear a ½ helmet for now, and a Full-faced for the cold. I hate the ½ and will soon be looking for a 3/4 for warmer months.

Believe me... I am an NO WAY condoning NOT wearing a helmet.

Last edited by TxVrod; 10-05-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #26
XamountOfPills

Member Garage

i used to wear my helmet unless i was puttn around in a parking lot or my neighborhood. Even then you should still wear one but that was my personal choice.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #27
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
yellowgxr6

Send a message via ICQ to yellowgxr6 Send a message via AIM to yellowgxr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
Yes they do Racer X, I thought you'd know that being an instructor...

Here's the link at tx dot,
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm

Of course you can get the sticker and then not wear a helmet. And the law doesn't require the passenger to wear a helmet??? Guess there aren't enought dead passengers yet.

I for one have always been an advocate of the helmet. As a kid, a buddy of mine was riding in a go cart, flipped and the motor landed on his head. No helmet, no life.... no buddy.

Wear a lid!!! it really is cooler than oozing out your head...
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #29
TxVrod

Quote:
4th time, does TX have a helmet law?
LOL... that may be the 4th time but the 1st time I have seen it...

Yes, Texas has a helmet law but it's pretty liberal. One must have taken the MSF course (which I did) and/or have the minimum amount of medical coverage.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

well, i was checking w/ TXvrod if he knew the law........./shrug

Quote:
August 9th, 2005

"Florida motorcycle fatalities increase after helmet law is repealed"

Two studies were released yesterday, concluding states that repeal laws like helmet requirements on motorcycles run the risk of increasing the number of deaths and health care costs as a result.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conducted the first study, and it found that in the three years following Florida’s decision to repeal its mandatory helmet law in 2000 that there were 933 motorcyclists killed. The number of Florida motorcycle deaths increased 81 percent, an increase from the 515 bikers killed from 1997 to 1999.

While Florida law requires helmet use by riders under 21, fatalities among that group nearly tripled in the three years after the repeal, and 45 percent of those killed were not wearing helmets. When adjusted for inflation, the cost of hospital care for motorcycle injuries grew from $21 million to $44 million in the 30 months after the helmet law was repealed.

The study’s findings resembled a 2003 federal review that found fatalities grew by more than 50 percent in Kentucky and 100 percent in Louisiana after the two states eliminated its mandatory helmet laws. In a second study also released yesterday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, it found the death rate of motorcyclists from 2001 to 2002 increased 25 percent compared with the two years before Florida did away with the helmet law.

Twenty states and the District of Columbia all require motorcycle riders to wear protective helmets, which is significantly less than the 47 states that required helmets in 1975. In 2004, the number of fatalities resulting from motorcycle accidents nationwide increased nearly eight percent to 4,008. That was the first year since 1987 that motorcycle deaths exceeded 4,000 since 1987.
now why isn't there a helmet law, but there are seatbelt laws? because of PAC's.......

Quote:

Yes, Texas has a helmet law but it's pretty liberal. One must have taken the MSF course (which I did) and/or have the minimum amount of medical coverage.
as well as 21 and over, under 21 must wear a lid.

i don't think it's liberal, just not enforced enough. also back seat passanger must also meet these same requirements to go w/o a lid.......
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #31
XamountOfPills

Member Garage

Quote:
well, i was checking w/ TXvrod if he knew the law........./shrug

now why isn't there a helmet law, but there are seatbelt laws? because of PAC's.......

as well as 21 and over, under 21 must wear a lid.

i don't think it's liberal, just not enforced enough. also back seat passanger must also meet these same requirements to go w/o a lid.......
i never had to wear the lid if i didnt want to and im just now turning 21, i had my sticker proving i had over $40,000 in medical coverage so i got a sticker and put it on my plate in the corner. But like i said b4 i only wouldnt wear my lid when i was around in the neighborhood or parking lots.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #32
yellowgxr6

Send a message via ICQ to yellowgxr6 Send a message via AIM to yellowgxr6
My favorite "freedom of choice" folks are those really cool guys out there riding in shorts and flip flops. No shirt, no lid, no gloves.

They look really cool rippin' down 59 on 1 wheel. :BangHead:

Just don't want to have to scrape them off the pavement.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #33
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XamountOfPills
i never had to wear the lid if i didnt want to and im just now turning 21, i had my sticker proving i had over $40,000 in medical coverage so i got a sticker and put it on my plate in the corner. But like i said b4 i only wouldnt wear my lid when i was around in the neighborhood or parking lots.
Quote:
Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:

so basically you were riding illegally. sounds like somebody at DPS issued the sticker w/o knowing the law or didn't look close enough at your age.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #34
XamountOfPills

Member Garage

Quote:

so basically you were riding illegally. sounds like somebody at DPS issued the sticker w/o knowing the law or didn't look close enough at your age.
o well....there up not mine, but its not like i have a bike right now anyways. And i wont be getting another till im about 22, a little bit over a year, so its whatever.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #35
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Helmets are pretty. I could not imagine going for a ride or posing without my matching lid. Remember to match all your colors for ultimate posing points. Oh, and I heard that if your gear matches you are better protected.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #36
S14

I get scared riding without a lid. I feel like a n00b.
S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #37
OooItzAmi

Member Garage

Quote:
I'll have you know I have gone 2 weeks straight messin up my doo with my helmet!
Yea!! Even girls get helmet hair! LOL It sucks.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #38
Capt Penetrate
A view from my office

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R6 Track
07 R1 to pose

Quote:
if you do, get a do rag or something, cus your helmet will get alot of "funk" w/o one.

i wear a headcap thingy by underarmour, wicks sweat away
I was wondering why my helmet was getting an odor. I was washing the lining but it would still smell rather quickly there after. Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #39
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

dang 19 and gxsr sounds like me except i where my lid...
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #40
TxVrod

BTW - I would recommend education over law any day. Agreeing with the article I posted earlier:

Claim: Mandatory helmet laws are the most effective way to reduce the injuries and fatalities that result from motorcycle accidents.
Response: The most effective way to reduce motorcycle injuries and fatalities is to prevent accidents from occurring. Helmets and helmet laws do not prevent accidents.

Obviouly, the above is going to have to apply to bikers and cagers

Advertisement