Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Removing Stickers

Wha't's the best way to remove stickers from your bike with out damaging the paint? :dontknow:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Decals - Does anyone have... EquinsuOcha General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 11-03-2013 10:58 PM
Removing the thermostat Grinchy Taking it to the Track 30 10-16-2009 07:50 AM
Removing a screw maxgs Off Topic 2 07-06-2009 01:04 PM
removing safety stickers... bjoconnor How To's and Q & A's 9 07-08-2007 03:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

use a hair dryer to heat it up real good and then it will peal right off, then you can use some brake cleaner to remove the glue residue but, make sure you spray the brake cleaner on a rag and then wipe the sticky area, never spray that directly on the plastic.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

I used lighter fluid.
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
tar and bug remover for me

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Dumptruck

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
None
03 GSXR 1K Canadian Edition SOLD
05 SV650S SOLD
89 Katana SOLD

I just did this on my bike and had a of a time doing it. I asked around antd tried all the different methods. The newer your bike is the easier it is to do. I used the hair dryer and it takes for ever, and after the stickers were heated up I started peeling and the stickers seperated into the 2 parts. The clear coat part ant the actual label part. The clear coat part came right off but the label part sucked. I would not come of in one piece and tore into like 326 pieces. The best I could do was to chip it off with my finger nail, which I did not want to do at first for fear of scratching the paint but it did not scratch. So then tried lighter fluid on one of the stickers sticky residue which worked a little but it took so much rubbing that the rag I used left little scratches :BangHead: in the clear coat. I was ! I had heard that WD40 worked so I tried that on the next sticker and after using like half a can I decided there had to be a better way. I tried rubbing alcahol which did not work I even tried VODKA :icon_bigg which did not work. Then I heard about 3M Adhesive Remover. I went down to the local Orielly's and picked up a can in the paint section. Works like a charm! Sprat it on count to 30 and wipe it off, it was that easy. Save yourself some time, trouble and scratches and get the 3m. Sorry for the long post but I thought my experience would be helpful.
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumptruck
I just did this on my bike and had a of a time doing it. I asked around antd tried all the different methods. The newer your bike is the easier it is to do. I used the hair dryer and it takes for ever, and after the stickers were heated up I started peeling and the stickers seperated into the 2 parts. The clear coat part ant the actual label part. The clear coat part came right off but the label part sucked. I would not come of in one piece and tore into like 326 pieces. The best I could do was to chip it off with my finger nail, which I did not want to do at first for fear of scratching the paint but it did not scratch. So then tried lighter fluid on one of the stickers sticky residue which worked a little but it took so much rubbing that the rag I used left little scratches :BangHead: in the clear coat. I was ! I had heard that WD40 worked so I tried that on the next sticker and after using like half a can I decided there had to be a better way. I tried rubbing alcahol which did not work I even tried VODKA :icon_bigg which did not work. Then I heard about 3M Adhesive Remover. I went down to the local Orielly's and picked up a can in the paint section. Works like a charm! Sprat it on count to 30 and wipe it off, it was that easy. Save yourself some time, trouble and scratches and get the 3m. Sorry for the long post but I thought my experience would be helpful.

Thank you VERY much. Sounds like you had a of a time but ended up finding what works in the real world.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Hair Dryer then 3M Adhessive Remover.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
yellowgxr6

Send a message via ICQ to yellowgxr6 Send a message via AIM to yellowgxr6
I stripped all the stickers this past spring. I was able to get most of them off just by peeling them slowly.

Use an old credit card to help work up the edges. I used alcohol wipes and goo-off for some of the remaining residue. No scratches what so ever.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
ImG

Send a message via AIM to ImG
i use goo gone
ImG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImG
i use goo gone
I did it during lunch and worked great

Last edited by Swift E; 10-05-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
TRD23
Thats MR. to you.

Bike(s):
01 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImG
i use goo gone
+1 Goo gones the best.
TRD23 is offline   Reply With Quote