MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Zoomback...

Any one seen these? It can be wired to the battery and for $15/month you can get real time GPS on a bike/car. Can set it up to text you when your bike leaves certain areas or if it is powered off or has a low battery. Looks like a possible alternative to lojack. Albeit it may be cheaper, but over a few years service costs could add up. Gets service anywhere in T-Mobile coverage. Only thing I like about this over lojack is you can login and see on a map realtime where its at.

http://www.zoombak.com/products/auto/
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Meh I'll stick to lowjack like you said 15bucks a month is still 180 a year and lowjack is only 500, but the main diffrence being that lowjack is used by the police the second you report it stolen and this you may have to look up ect + lowjack works even if they cut power to the battery. not sure if this one wont but tried and true lowjack's 99% recovery rate is good enough for me.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

True. This is a battery powered device. So even if bike power is removed (aka battery removed) this will still run for some time. With this you can have it txt you when your bike leaves home or work. Really cool. Also this could be used by say a family member, if you are out riding and say go down. They find you like this. But then with other people having access it could become a privacy issue. Ya I will be getting some solution with my rebate check but not sure yet. Trying to find out if patrick offers a deal on a alarm/lojack combo.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

yeah, its monthly price is a bit too much.... i wish.

I'd love to have lojack on my bike, but i can't afford that. its a bit pricey.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Pretty neat, there was someone a month or so ago that was interested in finding something like this. He was going to be doing a long trip and wanted his family to be able to track him. $15/mo. isn't terrible, I think it's a worthwhile investment. Lojack is great as well, you just have to weigh the advantages of each and find which one is right for you.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they dont have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Keep in mind that LoJack works even if the vehicle is in a garage, van, storage unit, etc.............GPS doesn't. It has to be out in the open.

That's the biggest drawback in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Ya. I may do both. Who knows.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Keep in mind that LoJack works even if the vehicle is in a garage, van, storage unit, etc.............GPS doesn't. It has to be out in the open.

That's the biggest drawback in my opinion.
GPS has come a long ways since it was invented. There are only a few limited places you get a weak signal. Otherwise it works fine indoors.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they dont have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

dvlracer is correct. also this device uses Assisted GPS. Which uses not only GPS satellite but cell phone locater service as well. So even if its in a garage. If it has cell reception. We can get a general location of it.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanworrell View Post
dvlracer is correct. also this device uses Assisted GPS. Which uses not only GPS satellite but cell phone locater service as well. So even if its in a garage. If it has cell reception. We can get a general location of it.

Interesting. Btw, this is off their website.

Zoombak A-GPS locators use satellite signals and wireless network coverage to determine and communicate location information. Coverage isn't available everywhere and often not available indoors.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Ya the GPRS location service it uses (via tmobile) the same concept as my iphone w/ google maps locater. It is the systems that E911 uses. (Yes my iphone is tmob) and the locater is pretty accurate indoors even at my work. But like I said. Even a combination of this and lojack would be pretty sweet.

Advertisement