MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #21
JRxGRUBZx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse1 View Post
i'm no crash test dummy,but working in the e.r. here in galveston and for galveston ems,for the most part if you go down har enough,that $600 helmet will be the same as the wal-mart $75. when your brain swells,it doesn't care if your helmet is a arai,shoei,or whatever brand you have. i have witnessed that!!! imo if it has the snell and DOT on the back it's fine with me. i have an icon tough luck #13 and i also have a kbc dark zombie. i still have my walmart bell too. no,my shield have never blown off or no parts of my helmets have ever broken off. imo gear is to minimize injury,not take it away.
im in LM 24-7 right there off of west ward hit me up
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Anyone fly with their safety gear? v4lu3s General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-07-2008 01:34 PM
Icon/Joe Rocket/KBC/Teknic riding gear review: 1 year check in andrave Gear Talk 3 07-19-2007 02:04 PM
Is A New Safety Gear Regulation??? BusaFlo Safety Corner Main 13 03-08-2007 03:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

My AS leather jacket held up very well in my DEC wreck as did my Sidi boots and Scorpion EXO-700 helmet. The Joe Rocket Atomic overpants were pretty ripped up though. They did there job long enough and my blue jeans were not torn underneath, but the overpants had a couple of pockets blown out and a few tears where the seams gave way. That would be my concern with the cheaper gear (like my JR overpants) - the stitching and the seams...

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
mattj1094

Feedback Rating: (1)

well just recently having a accident i can tell you that my arai helment did its job and protected my head but i will be having to replace it it busted all the way down to the Kevlar. My jacket looked pretty good with minimum scuffs but unfortunately the EMT's had to cut it off of me due to my shoulder being broken. So there goes $1000.00 worth of gear that saved my life so i guess thats all that counts when you go down you are as safe as your possibly can be and you come out of things as best as possible.
mattj1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #24
slo_rdr

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i'll agree JR is junk too.........
Dood - You're way off base. I have various 'levels' of JR gear and each has proven hardy hardy. My track gear is JR Speedmaster - unfortunately seen pvmt at TWS (Texas World Speedway), MSRH, & MSRC w/ no seam issues, no open wounds & about $30 in reinforcement leather for repair. A couple of my buds are also JR track gear owners (one ended up in the hospital for a week but the gear was fine - we'll was - got cut off at TWS (Texas World Speedway))

Have a JR nation leather and I think it's got great armour in a jacket comparing to A* and other street gear, while fewer zippers than lots but enough to let some air flow. Been wearing it for almost 1.5 years - great chit.

Also, had a old skool Ballistic mesh jacket that saved my arm from breaking & skin from being ripped off when a car hit me and pulled my arm under the wheel well and wrapped it around the tire dragging me & the bike. Jacket didn't even have a snag & the trim on the car was ripped off by my shoulder. That was a year ago, the zipper recently broke & I decided it'd seen enough wear & ordered a JR phoenix.

Anyway, I do a lot of research on almost everything I purchase and found good & bad gear reviews for all the 'street' brands. Also, ask those who have 'crash tested' different types of gear to find out how it held up.

(My next track gear is going to be Komodo all the way)
Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Racer X is old school....he sticks with what was around when he was younger.....just because Icon and JR and newer products just started comin out doesn't mean they're junk.....every company has to start somewhere even dainese, spidi, vance, arai etc. Everything is better then nothin

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Well my Frank Thomas gloves were comfortable and took a beating and heldup, my star jacket did ok, look like a shot gun blew from the inside out and my helmet KBC VR2 did it job, just from imo this weekend!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #27
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Well my Frank Thomas gloves were comfortable and took a beating and heldup, my star jacket did ok, look like a shot gun blew from the inside out and my helmet KBC VR2 did it job, just from imo this weekend!
how r u feelin today?
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #28
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Like a one legged man in a kicking contest, naw i am feeling like a champ down cause of my bike but i am Good, think the bike will be down til this weekend, but thats only cause i am of a peferctionist and want it fixed.
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
08SmashHoundR6
I can Do that.. on my PS3

Bike(s):
2008 yamaha r6

im not impressed at all with my icon helmet though i havent gone down with it, my top vent blew off at high speeds, the vents are so so and i put it to the test today i rode from nacadoches to houston at 2 and i was burning in it my merc jacket is great though very good ventilation and is super comfortable. i want a new helmet but i dont know which to go with.
08SmashHoundR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #30
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so have you crashed in it yet? thats when you find out it's junk.
i have... and i had the leather merc jacket on ....and it wasnt junk for sure....glad i had it on actually....it def. did its job !!!!!!
gixxergirloh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement