Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Gringo3825

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

2nd Burned stator

This is my second burned stator in less than 2yrs. Lucky I bought the extended warranty. Richmond Suzuki replaced it the first time now stubbs is just going to replace it this time. Seriously obviously there is another problem can anybody clue these people in on how to fix a bike. Any ideas on the problem? Saw smoke coming out the right side between frame and engine where the oil fill is this time as well. Also told me my battery is no good but I charged my battery put in my bike and it started right up and got me from katy to stubbs. But since they had it my battery is no good. (someone say crooks)
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chick gets burned Prodigy Stunters Lounge 3 11-16-2011 09:37 PM
Bummed or Burned? cdonnelly General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-26-2011 10:24 PM
apartments burned down bunxx Off Topic 5 10-19-2009 10:59 AM
Who burned the Constitution? logan5 The Circus 0 10-17-2008 10:57 PM
you got burned rickykline Off Topic 5 02-07-2006 06:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane

Loose wiring connections?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
mammothmc

Older Hondas were notorious for stator & rectifier problems......finally got fed up with it & had a electrical engineer friend of mine check it out. Most bikes he found don't have a big enough ground for the charging system. He added a few extra ground wires of a larger gauge to the harness & rectifier & It never had problems again...........I copy that on all my bikes & any customer bikes that are having problems
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

You really need to ask Patrick about this one. It seems to me the reason your battery is probably bad is because your Voltage regulator probably fried it. That would also be a good reason for the stator burning up also. I don't know enough about different bikes to know if your model has had problems like this but I can tell you it would be pretty crazy for a stator just to go bad for no reason. It's just a bunch of wires. I'd suspect the regulator first. I'm assuming you haven't added any kind of lights or something electrical huh? I also think that if there is something wrong with the regulator and stator that that was the cause of the battery going bad and they should warranty it also.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'm assuming tis is on your 2006 GSXR?

Are all of the component parts OEM:
Stator, regulator /rectifier, battery?

Has the bike ever been down hard on the left side?

Do you have a lot of electrical accessories / wiring on the bike?

Do you have the stock headlights in the bike?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

The bike has been down but not hard and it was 6 months ago when it happened. All components are oem except a power commander. No extra accessories. No special lighting. I think they are not repairing it the way if I was a cash paying customer. I bet it would get fixed. Also they said they test my regulator/rectifier on my bike with the bad stator and said it was fine.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

Yes it's my K6 Gixxer 600
Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Did it go down on the left side?
Was the stator replaced the first time because of the crash?
It's possible the rotor or even the crank end may be damaged as well.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

No the stator was not replaced because of crash. When it went down was like 2 mph and just scratched the cover. I replaced the cover then 9mo later it burned out now 11mo after that it burned out again.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

does it have zip ties around the coils?

I know replacement stators had problems with the zip ties melting and causing problems on atleast the 01-03

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
david_banner
Banned

User is banned

david_banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

Bought the bike brand new. I have almost 18k miles on it.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

So here it is almost a month later they are actually going to fix my bike by today. I'm sure they are going to want me to pay for the battery they put in my bike because it supposedly went dead. So who is going to pay my bike note why should I they have had it all month. You figure the amount of money they cost me by not having my bike done in a timely matter.
Bike: $22 in gas all week
Truck: $120 gas all week
So they had for four weeks $120x4=$480.00+$240.00=$700.00
And you say I owe you money. Customers service is what keeps you in business. You just lost this business for life.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
txgsxrbob
THE SH*T STARTER IS BACK

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1K SOLD !
2012 R1 Moto GP replica # 1287

You have learned a great lesson & when you pick it up talk to svc mgr. & let him know how pizzed you are !! & see if he will do anything for you ...If not talk all the trash you want about them !!! but give the svc.mgr. a chance to make it right & good luck !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
NOW WHERE IS TXGSXRBOB WHEN WE NEED HIM????
txgsxrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo3825 View Post
So here it is almost a month later they are actually going to fix my bike by today. I'm sure they are going to want me to pay for the battery they put in my bike because it supposedly went dead. So who is going to pay my bike note why should I they have had it all month. You figure the amount of money they cost me by not having my bike done in a timely matter.
Bike: $22 in gas all week
Truck: $120 gas all week
So they had for four weeks $120x4=$480.00+$240.00=$700.00
And you say I owe you money. Customers service is what keeps you in business. You just lost this business for life.
to think that they owe you for lost income paying for gas is absurd. it's not their fault you don't have another motorcycle to ride, or the fact that you drive a gas guzzling truck. the warranty on your suzuki is FOR YOUR SUZUKI. not for lost wages, extra expenses incurred while your bike is in the shop, or anything else. they're fixing your bike. nothing else is their responsibility.

stop being so unreasonable.

and yes, batteries are NOT covered under warranty, so why would they buy it for you? if you dont believe that it's bad, take the old battery back and don't pay for the new one. problem solved. but if the battery really is bad, don't come back on here because "they didn't fix your bike right"

and there are bad parts out there you know. suzuki were the people that installed the first stator and it went bad, but did you blame them for doing crappy work on your bike? i doubt it. the first stator was bad, so why's it so hard to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the second was bad too? it's pretty hard to fudge up a stator install. they only go in one way. if anything was done improperly you would have known right away because the bike would be spitting oil all over you.

chill out, calm down, and stop expecting so much.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

Whatever! Any way to add on to the ignorance when I took off on my bike it started running really slow and sluggish. I stopped and checked to make sure they didn't steal my power commander(bad experience before)it was there and and powered up. So then while driving home my bike was running hotter than normal. Doing 110 and temp at 218. Clutch is slipping bike really dragging. Got home called service mngr to make sure they put synthetic in my bike they did. They also over filled my oil and put 20w50w in it. Look close Dumb a$$ right there on the frame it say put 10w40w. So hopefully bike clutch is not to messed for there stupid a$$ mistake. Don't tell me to calm down. Buy me another bike then. And this is TEXAS you bet I have a truck.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

I'll need a truck too cause when I buy me a harley I'll have something to haul my bike back and forth to the shop and pay $385 to change my oil and routine check up. My dad is a harley mech. He is getting rid of both of those pieces of $h!+ and buying a boulevard. He wants to ride not work on his bike all the time. I ride my bike EVERYDAY! So do you have your Harley costume ready when you ride! LOL!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I'll give ya a piece of advice. before you go running your mouth to Donnell, go through and see what his last two bikes were. Either one would stomp your GSX-R into the ground never getting out of first gear.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Gringo3825

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

And what bike is that that can stomp my GSXR? First of all I don't care how fast it is mine is for everyday driving. Not for racing. How many miles is on your bike? I have 18126 in less than two years. We have a harley with a 125cu in merch motor with the same bore and stroke as a 427 BBC with a six speed tranny and air ride suspension. My dad will race him from here to alaska when ever he is ready.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #20
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
batteries dont last forever. 1-2 years is normal. if that is the original battery than its normal for it to be dead now. word to the wise, you get a new battery, carve the month and year into it. 1st it will let you know how old the batt is cause months from now you wont remember, and 2nd itll prevent incidents like what happened to your power commander. so i feel you there, cause i have heard alot of in this biz and it doesnt suprise me at all. anyways..

clutches dont last forever. esp on sportbikes. 15-20k miles its normal for a clutch to be on the way out. esp if its had newbies riding the clutch, and/or squids doing wheelies, or burnouts. even just riding the out of it like its meant to be puts wear on the clutch. the clutch plates are made as a wear item, just like tires and brake pads, they not meant to last forever.

oil type. it may say 10-40 on the case, but the service manual will most likely say as 99% of them do that for our tempreture range in houston to use 20-50. if you specified use 10-40 than they should have, but imo 20-50
is better, not that 10-40 is wrong either. 2050 is slightly thicker which is better for the houston heat. the tech that chose 2050 was looking out for your bike and trying to take good care of it. kudos to him.

oil fill, did you check it level or on side stand? supposed to be checked while level. now i will say that i see some people make this mistake, they fill to full mark, start bike. level will be lower because the filter fills up. they fill to full mark again. bad idea. oil gets on the walls of the case, and then drips down. i fill to full mark, run bike, then fill to in between marks.

and yes, ive done this and had people complain its not to full mark...i explain oil will drip down, half understand, half look at me like im making it up on the spot...sometimes you cant win with people...

speaking of which...with your attitude your lucky you have a warranty. any service manager ive met would gladly let your business go somewhere else...to put it nicely.

as for your stator...well. it could be that something made the first stator go bad. it didnt go bad all on its own, maybe? like pat was saying a bent crank. i have seen one. it could be bent so barely that it slowly wears the stator. so when you replaced the 1st one it may not have fixed the cause of the problem.

if i were you i would be trying to find out what the deal is, and get the root of the prob fixed while in warranty, but dude you have to chill out and work with people not against them if you want something done.

Advertisement