Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
slo_rdr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

Question Bike Used to Start in Gear w/ Clutch Pulled...

Something's up with my bike - any suggestions? It used to start while in gear with the clutch pulled in - now it will only start when in nuetral - I noticed it last slow cranked, now it doesn't crank at all when in gear. Starts right up in nuetral. What happened? What should I check?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Fred
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 cbr600rr wont start in gear! Yayo General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-10-2014 03:40 PM
Guy gets pulled over then drops his bike when stopping on gravel OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-07-2011 11:18 AM
got pulled over yesterday on the bike urbanXJ Off Topic 7 05-27-2009 07:10 PM
can't get my bike to start creedseebas How To's and Q & A's 9 09-06-2005 03:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
slim

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
03 R1
zx7r street fighter
95 shadow 1100

cluthch sensor not working or broke wire to it?
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
cluthch sensor not working or broke wire to it?
check the wire to clutch switch or wiring itself.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Are you saying it won't start / turn over at all or it turns over too slow to start?

If it's too slow to start it probably has too much freeplay in the clutch cable.
Adjust the clutch cable where you have 1/16" of play between the clutch lever and the perch with the lever all the way out.

If it won't turn over at all unless it's in neutral it's probably your clutch safety switch or the wiring going to it.

I see you're in College Station. I'll be at Texas World Speedway Sunday till about 2-3:00 p.m..

If you're unsure how to adjust the cable, look me up by the Motorcycles Unlimited trailer and I'll adjust the cable for you real quick and show you how to do it, no charge.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
andrave

if its cranking slow when it cranks I agree its probably your adjustment... its probably engaging the clutch as it tries to start, putting extra strain on the starter, making it start slow. That'd be the first thing I'd check. Do you have a rear stand? put it up on the stand and try starting it in gear with the clutch pulled. If it starts easy and the rear wheel is spinning on start up, thats your problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Are you saying it won't start / turn over at all or it turns over too slow to start?

If it's too slow to start it probably has too much freeplay in the clutch cable.
Adjust the clutch cable where you have 1/16" of play between the clutch lever and the perch with the lever all the way out.

If it won't turn over at all unless it's in neutral it's probably your clutch safety switch or the wiring going to it.

I see you're in College Station. I'll be at Texas World Speedway Sunday till about 2-3:00 p.m..

If you're unsure how to adjust the cable, look me up by the Motorcycles Unlimited trailer and I'll adjust the cable for you real quick and show you how to do it, no charge.

KUDOS for GOOD SERVICE

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

^^this guy!

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
andrave

hopefully he can get his bike started to meet patrick.
:-)
Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
hopefully he can get his bike started to meet patrick.
:-)
He said it starts when it's in neutral, should be all good.

While you're meeting Patrick at the track, check out some of the fast folks at the CMRA races! Don't forget the gate entry fee (I think it's $10 today, but plan on $15).

Awesome way to step up Patrick, as per usual
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Could it be the kickstand sensor? If the kickstand is up, but the sensor doesn't think so, anything other than neutral might kill the engine, clutch or not.... at least that's how it is on my FZ1...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
andrave

yeah well if it starts in neutral and shuts off when he kicks it into first because of things like kickstand switch or the clutch out of adjustment, just starting in neutral won't be enough!
happened to me before.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
slo_rdr

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did adjust the clutch cable but I think the problem is the wiring to the safety switch. I actually headed out to see my bud near Houston today so I didn't make it out to TWS (Texas World Speedway) but thanks for the offer Patrick. Now for the dumb part...yesterday my clutch lever bolt rattled out, the local honda shop was out of the bolts so I ordered a couple...what's holding that lever on now is a couple of zip ties so I think that has something to do with the issue as the lever actually moves a bit in the slot rather than rotating true. I tried pushing the wiring to the clutch lever but it just doesnt seem to be able to get a good connection. I'm thinking once I get my bolt back in everything should work out. If not, I'll take the thing apart and see what's up.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_rdr View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I did adjust the clutch cable but I think the problem is the wiring to the safety switch. I actually headed out to see my bud near Houston today so I didn't make it out to TWS (Texas World Speedway) but thanks for the offer Patrick. Now for the dumb part...yesterday my clutch lever bolt rattled out, the local honda shop was out of the bolts so I ordered a couple...what's holding that lever on now is a couple of zip ties so I think that has something to do with the issue as the lever actually moves a bit in the slot rather than rotating true. I tried pushing the wiring to the clutch lever but it just doesnt seem to be able to get a good connection. I'm thinking once I get my bolt back in everything should work out. If not, I'll take the thing apart and see what's up.
Crucial bit of information there mang Your clutch lever is not actuating the clutch safety switch likely because it's mis-aligned with the bolt out. That's my bet.

These things are always easy to diagnose when you see them- on the internet is tough because you don't see the whole picture (like the piece of information you just mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave
yeah well if it starts in neutral and shuts off when he kicks it into first because of things like kickstand switch or the clutch out of adjustment, just starting in neutral won't be enough!
I took for granted that it wasn't dieing when he put it in gear (which if it's the clutch switch, it wouldn't die anyway), but I think we see here that there is some missing information...

Replace that bolt, it should fix your issue. I'd be a dollar to a donut hole that Patrick has a few just sitting in a spare parts bin somewhere...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I've got a couple of them in my desk drawer, but if you've already ordered one from the Honda dealer in Collge Station than you may want to wait till it comes in.

When you get the new bolt, put a little grease on it before you install it.
Don't over tighten it when you put it in and put a self locking nut on the bottom side.

Give me a call at the shop if you have any questions or problems after you put it all together.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

^^this guy again!

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Ok, quick question. I also can only start my bike in neutral right now. EVEN with clutch pulled. I dropped my bike about a month ago at 3 mph, didn't hit tremendously hard, just a good knock. Think its also damaged and need the same repair? (ninja 250)
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
Ok, quick question. I also can only start my bike in neutral right now. EVEN with clutch pulled. I dropped my bike about a month ago at 3 mph, didn't hit tremendously hard, just a good knock. Think its also damaged and need the same repair? (ninja 250)
your bike should only start in neutral with the kickstand down. If you can start it in gear with the kickstand down, you have a faulty kickstand switch or it has been bypassed at some point and time. You should be able to start the bike in any gear assuming you have the kickstand up and the clutch lever pulled in.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
your bike should only start in neutral with the kickstand down. If you can start it in gear with the kickstand down, you have a faulty kickstand switch or it has been bypassed at some point and time. You should be able to start the bike in any gear assuming you have the kickstand up and the clutch lever pulled in.

i'll double check today. I think i was having problems starting with clutch pulled in if i didn't shift back to neutral. I'll check on it. Thanks for your input.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
like dbuck said....kickstand up to start in gear....if your kickstand is up, and you can't start in gear.....

there will be two wires that plug in behind your clutch lever....make sure BOTH of those wires are plugged in with a good connection. that is your clutch safety sensor thingy....that's what tells your bike the clutch is pulled in so you can start it in gear.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement