Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
1st timer = noob
Feedback Rating: (2)

lookin for my ride still

Long distance on my ninja 250

Will I be able to drive long distance on my 2006 Ninja 250 without any problems? (say from Houston to Dallas or Houston to Oklahoma). my friends wanted to take a road trip up there, and I wanted to see if I can do long distance. Or should I just try going from Houston to San Antonio/Austin first as my first long distance. (on the safe side, my friends will be driving their Van = most likely behind me so that if anything goes wrong they can stop and help). Should I even attempt this motohouston my small bike? Any advice for me in driving long distance will GREATLY be appreciated!!!
booo-iii_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax k5 Long distance 100-1000 yard video shooting? lens selection? Petro Off Topic 10 12-06-2012 05:46 PM
for long distance riders/drivers RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-04-2010 12:18 PM
Its my first semi-long distance ride, any advice guys? ruthlessimage General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 05-31-2007 08:47 PM
Long distance trip.... Would you do it?? Neversatisfied02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 05-26-2006 04:08 PM
Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip
Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
, I'd do it without the van, but no worries if you got an extra vehicle around to keep an eye on you. Most modern bikes will run over 100K miles with the right care and maintanaince. The question is are YOU confident in your abilities to deal with mechanical issues while on the open road.
A few things I'd pack just off the top of my head:
-Good Service Manual
-Tire plugs/repair kit
-Few extra spark plugs
-Extra fuses
-Good tool kit / zip ties / duct tape
-AAA card if you got one

For what its worth, theres a guy that flew over to the US from Korea and landed in new York.
He rode his honda ruckus(yes a 50cc ruckus) all the way down to the tip of florida then across the nation to california. Then theres that guy that rode around the world on his yamaha R1.

Last edited by Scorpio; 04-12-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Uber Newb
Feedback Rating: (0)

2004 ninja 250

make sure conditions are going to be good for riding, and don't overestimate your limits... trust me on this one. I personally think the ninja would be comfortable enough for a 2-3 hr trip, have heard many say otherwise though.
I just got served a heaping helping of concrete... seconds please!
Edit: Thirds please!
coojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #4

50cc metropolitan

You shouldn't have any issues. This guy did a coast to coast run on his ninja 250.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Made Man
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Team Green Ninja !
100cc Knock0ff Dirt

Send a message via AIM to Maverick
the bike will be fine
i stopped like every hour or so, wasnt bad at all.
just keep alert out there.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
El Brilliante
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

No problem. Ninjas were meant to run at high rpms all the time. Make sure to check your oil.... I couldn't resist answering with another repost in case you haven't read it before:

Courtesy of Ninja250 forum: ABOUT RIDING ON THE NINJA 250 for a long distance trip:

You are very brave to attempt 150 miles non-stop on a toy bike. For such adventuring, here are some of the secrets of the 250 Riders Club vets. Well, at least the ones with the nerve to attempt what you're about to.

- switch to reserve at the start, before you get on the highway. This avoids fumbling around in what might be high-speed, heavy traffic.

- some drivers might disrespect such a small bike. One easy way to show them your confidence is by riding with your left hand in your jacket pocket, just like the cruiser riders do.

- ride the whole distance tucked in behind the windshield. Your teensy motor will need all the help it can get, especially uphill.

- keep both knees wide out, to increase side-to-side inertia. Due to the skinny tires, the bike is unstable at high speeds.

- don't wear earplugs. With that much strain on the bike something could go wrong, and you'll want to be able to hear it at the earliest possible moment.

- if you see a truck coming the other way, pull over onto the shoulder and slow down to a minimize wind blast that could send your lightweight bike snakey under you. When I see two or more trucks coming, I try to stop.

- don't make the trip if it's raining. There isn't enough bike weight to keep the tires in firm contact with the roadway, so it's way too easy to hydroplane. Add a crosswind to the rain and a Ninja rider is soon in real trouble.

- don't bring anything with you. The suspension won't cope with it when the high-speed airstream over the windshield forces the bike down, and the extra weight will kill the acceleration if you have to pass someone.

- always keep a tiny bit of pressure on the rear brake. This keeps your rear brake light lit, so cagers coming up behind will notice you sooner and not nearly run you down when they come up fast. Bigger bikes with wider rear tires have almost double the visible area from the rear, and don't need to do this.

- if you have to urinate, pull into a side road so you can do it on the engine. That's better than having the cylinders sieze up from overheating, which they will do if you're over 120 lbs. wearing your gear.

Until the engine warms, and most times after, it's prudent to do a bobsled start. That is, run next to the bike until you're above 5 mph. Then jump on and go. Failing to do this can easily burn up the clutch and waste the engine.

Also, lots of us coat ourselves in suntan oil, as this makes us slicker to the wind, thereby reducing the overall drag on the bike, and increasing out top speed to 57, even 58mph!

Some of us are more bold, and we've carried hooks and chains with us. We use these to briefly hitch a ride on the back of passing cars, when caught behind semis. These little bikes aren't good at passing without assistance.

Lastly, during any extended run, carry with you a spray bottle full of water. When it comes to the lil Ninja, this is the other facet of water cooling. As you travel, roughly every 3 tenths of a mile, mist a little water on the engine. While to the amateur this may seem like an indulgence, the more well traveled of us know it's truly the only thing standing between us and a flat bed ride back to our homes.

specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
Lastly, during any extended run, carry with you a spray bottle full of water. When it comes to the lil Ninja, this is the other facet of water cooling. As you travel, roughly every 3 tenths of a mile, mist a little water on the engine. While to the amateur this may seem like an indulgence, the more well traveled of us know it's truly the only thing standing between us and a flat bed ride back to our homes.

3 tenths of a mile?!
blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Jango
vandals here on the board used to go between his moms house in waco and his dads in houston on a regular basis on a ninja 250.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Do a through once over on your bike. Oil change and brake pad replacement ain't a bad idea if you are close to due. adjust chain and lube it up. Check all other fluids (brake, coolant, turn signal, ect) As other said carry the essentials with you, zip ties, tape, tools needed for your bike (most bikes come with a toolkit). Also I suggest buying a nice big bottle of water on the way out and sticking in your backpack case you get dehydrated on the highway you can pull over and get a drink. A cell phone if you ain't got one already. Make sure and make frequent stops, don't overdo yourself. Keep an eye on your gas. Nothing sucks more than seeing that light come on 30+ miles from a gas station. Good luck with the trip and be safe.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote