MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #21
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

ok guys, the Katana isnt as bad as yall are making it out to be, especially for a new rider.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Katana 750 -2005 grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-31-2011 02:50 AM
Suzuki Katana's Reputation marioc89 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 07-02-2009 01:30 AM
Suzuki Katana 750- No electrical power help PAA General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-19-2009 01:07 PM
katana 750 cinco de mayo General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-01-2008 08:22 AM
suzuki katana dislikes....... DanteLee General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-19-2008 08:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #22
BritishDevil

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckerwally
In my opinion don't buy the Katana unless it's really really cheap. Get the gixxer. You can have the horsepower but you don't have to use it. I just traded mine in for an F4i. Katanas don't handle well when you lean them hard. Not exactly what a beginner needs when learning to do twisties. Plus nobody stocks parts for them. Performance upgrades ha! good luck nobody makes them. You can get cosmetic stuff like clear lenses but that's about it other than adding some neons or something. There's a few other cosmetic things you can get but it's not worth it. Plus you will drive it about a month and hate it because the only thing you can outrun is a ninja 250. Not exactly something to brag about. The 600 has about 83 h.p. stock with a top speed of about 150 m.p.h. on a good day with the wind pushing and a gixxer pulling you. It's tough to get it up there and it takes forever to get it up there. You can run about 120 to 130 all day long but the bike handles terribly. The widest tire you can fit on the back is a 160/60/17 which is too small of a tire to be hauling on a bike that big. And the suspension is so soft that if you are like me and weigh in at a little over 200 lbs that even with the suspension stiffened up it's still not enough. If this does help you nothing will. Good luck in your bike purchase.
150 on a good day? wtf? how come i get mine round 178-180 daily?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #23
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishDevil
150 on a good day? wtf? how come i get mine round 178-180 daily?
Please don't tell me you actually think you're going 178mph... You have atleast a 9% speedometer optimism error. At the VERY most you're doing 162 or so.

Why they are you doing that speed on public roads? :BangHead:

And people wonder why cops stereotype sportbikers.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #24
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap

And people wonder why cops stereotype sportbikers.
+1 :eh:
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #25
mightymouse

I owned a Katana 600 for 5 years and 25,000 miles and it was a great bike. Yes a bit heavy but none the less a good bike.. I'd still have it if it wernt for the fact the head started leaking oil and i wanted to upgrade to a big bike. IMO the GSX600F is a good starter bike.
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #26
mike hawk

Member Garage

what to you know wally
Old 10-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #27
mike hawk

Member Garage

"do" i mean
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #28
mike hawk

Member Garage

mmmmmmmm..... gixxers. almost as good as smokin on the
Old 10-08-2005, 01:47 AM   #29
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Nothing at all wrong with Kat's, I really miss mine, it was a perfect every day rider, compared to the gixxer it was like laying across a sofa going down the road. Plus their is a lot to be said for a gas guage

If I was smart I'd of kept the Kat for an every day rider and got the gixxer for toying around on the weekends. It's ok though, it went to a good home.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #30
coastal imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse
I owned a Katana 600 for 5 years and 25,000 miles and it was a great bike. Yes a bit heavy but none the less a good bike.. I'd still have it if it wernt for the fact the head started leaking oil and i wanted to upgrade to a big bike. IMO the GSX600F is a good starter bike.
does anybody agree?
coastal imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 AM   #31
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Ask AliceNChains, it was his first bike (after an MSF course)

He seems to be doing great to me.

I agree, they are fine bikes. Heck,I'd own another.

As far as a first bike, it depends on your maturity. That thing will still run 130 mph and if you've never been on a bike before first gear just might surprise you.

They key is throttle control, respect the throttle and you'll be fine. On the Kat I rode it was a fairly tame bike below 7k rpms, but above that it would wake up a bit. Quite a bit if you've never done it before.

Remember you don't have to do it all today, that would just make tomorrow boring
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #32
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
As far as a first bike, it depends on your maturity. That thing will still run 130 mph and if you've never been on a bike before first gear just might surprise you.

They key is throttle control, respect the throttle and you'll be fine. On the Kat I rode it was a fairly tame bike below 7k rpms, but above that it would wake up a bit. Quite a bit if you've never done it before.
Again, maturity is only a small part of learning to ride. A newbie has no throttle control, so they can respect it, but they can still get hurt by it. They extra margin for error that a Ninja 250, 500 or GS500 can provide is HUGE when learning throttle control. There is a reason that Europe, Japan, Austrialia and a few others have tiered licensing systems... it works! :icon_bigg
Old 10-10-2005, 01:51 AM   #33
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with you, I really do believe their is an added benifit to starting on a smaller bike and learning how to control it before moving up instead of starting from the top and just surviving.

Those bikes aren't even that bad looking any more, the new gs500 looks like a baby busa, I think it's pretty cool looking
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #34
coastal imports

thanks for all the input guys
coastal imports is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement