MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
coastal imports

Feedback Rating: (0)

Suzuki Katana

could anyone give me a quick description of what the difference between a 600 Katana, GSX-R, and a SV650 is. Thanks
coastal imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Katana 750 -2005 grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-31-2011 02:50 AM
Suzuki Katana's Reputation marioc89 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 07-02-2009 01:30 AM
Suzuki Katana 750- No electrical power help PAA General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-19-2009 01:07 PM
katana 750 cinco de mayo General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-01-2008 08:22 AM
suzuki katana dislikes....... DanteLee General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-19-2008 08:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track

why are u looking at those bikes?
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
coastal imports

i want to know how the katana stands against the GSX-R and SV650
Old 10-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
katana is slower. i think people get them as begginer bikes?? i dunno for sure. but the gixxer is def the sport bike
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Katana is considered a sport touring bike... it's a bit heavy and a bit underpowered compared the the GSXR. The Katana will be MUCH more comfortable, but then again it's not 'race' oriented like the GSXR. They are both inline 4s.

The SV650 is somewhere inbetween when it comes to ergonomics. It's a nice and relaxing ride with great low end torque. Don't let the laid back appearance fool you though... the SV is quite possibly the perfect beginner trackday/race bike and it one of the most popular bikes in the paddock. This is a vtwin.

I caution you though, if you're that 'uninformed' about motorcycles then more than likely NONE of these bikes are suitable for you. If you are a complete noob, like you sound, you should take the MSF and talk to an instructor and find ot what bike they recommend for you. Most likely it will be a Ninja 250, GS500 or the likes.

Don't like your ego get in the way of learning properly... :icon_bigg
Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Screw it!!!! Buy a BUSA.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

Quote:
Godsuki says: Screw it!!!! Buy a BUSA.
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
mightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal imports
could anyone give me a quick description of what the difference between a 600 Katana, GSX-R, and a SV650 is. Thanks
the Katana is a detuned ver of the gsxr.. it has the same air cooled motor as the old gsxr from back in the days before the water cooled motor.. getting performance and dress up parts for them is hard because they are not ment for moding. the Katana is a throw your leg over and go for a nice ride bike not a go fast bike all though the 600 will top out at 150mph. It was a good frist bike for me because it's very tame an it can be a fun ride.
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
coastal imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Katana is considered a sport touring bike... it's a bit heavy and a bit underpowered compared the the GSXR. The Katana will be MUCH more comfortable, but then again it's not 'race' oriented like the GSXR. They are both inline 4s.

The SV650 is somewhere inbetween when it comes to ergonomics. It's a nice and relaxing ride with great low end torque. Don't let the laid back appearance fool you though... the SV is quite possibly the perfect beginner trackday/race bike and it one of the most popular bikes in the paddock. This is a vtwin.

I caution you though, if you're that 'uninformed' about motorcycles then more than likely NONE of these bikes are suitable for you. If you are a complete noob, like you sound, you should take the MSF and talk to an instructor and find ot what bike they recommend for you. Most likely it will be a Ninja 250, GS500 or the likes.

Don't like your ego get in the way of learning properly... :icon_bigg
yes i am taking the MSF class, yes im a noob, and yes im going to start out on something smaller, but just wanted to know the differences. but thank you for all the information
Old 10-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
coastal imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki
Screw it!!!! Buy a BUSA.
thanks for the info :notworthy
Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

(Thread Jack)
HOLY ...
Funny thing to see a Katana post here and now.
For those of you that don't know, my 31st birthday was Saturday .
My wife has been run ragged listening to me about bikes, MSF, Safety Facts, DMV tests and bike wish lists for the past year and 1/2. Bless her heart.

Well today she goes out and buys me an '05 Katana 750
I guess she could have gone all out and bought me a Busa but I don't think she made it that far down my wish list. (Thank )

I am in shock ! we're going today to pick her up from the dealer along with helmet/jacket & Gloves after work

I think the first few months will be spent late at night or early in the morning in Target/Wal-Mart parking lots learning my new bike as suggested by my MSF instructor.

Any suggestions on BREAK in period other than checking the MOM?

Sorry for the thread jack thanks for letting me share. :icon_bigg
(Thread Jack OFF)
Old 10-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #12
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E
(Thread Jack)

I think the first few months will be spent late at night or early in the morning in Target/Wal-Mart parking lots learning my new bike as suggested by my MSF instructor.
(Thread Jack OFF)
monthes?
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #13
yellowgxr6

Send a message via ICQ to yellowgxr6 Send a message via AIM to yellowgxr6
Quote:
Take as long as you need. Something tells me you'll get pretty tired of the parking lot quick enough.

Great wife!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
mike hawk

Member Garage

gixxers are the . I like them anyways...
Old 10-05-2005, 12:16 AM   #15
BritishDevil

Member Garage

150? riggggghhtttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse
the Katana is a detuned ver of the gsxr.. it has the same air cooled motor as the old gsxr from back in the days before the water cooled motor.. getting performance and dress up parts for them is hard because they are not ment for moding. the Katana is a throw your leg over and go for a nice ride bike not a go fast bike all though the 600 will top out at 150mph. It was a good frist bike for me because it's very tame an it can be a fun ride.
lol i got mine up to 170mph 05 gsxr 600
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #16
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishDevil
lol i got mine up to 170mph 05 gsxr 600
Is yours the GSXR or the Katana GSXF600?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #17
BritishDevil

Member Garage

Quote:
Is yours the GSXR or the Katana GSXF600?
GSX-R

www.myspace.com/BritishDevil666

i got a pic of it cept it the 04 not 05 (mine 05)
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #18
wreckerwally

Member Garage

In my opinion don't buy the Katana unless it's really really cheap. Get the gixxer. You can have the horsepower but you don't have to use it. I just traded mine in for an F4i. Katanas don't handle well when you lean them hard. Not exactly what a beginner needs when learning to do twisties. Plus nobody stocks parts for them. Performance upgrades ha! good luck nobody makes them. You can get cosmetic stuff like clear lenses but that's about it other than adding some neons or something. There's a few other cosmetic things you can get but it's not worth it. Plus you will drive it about a month and hate it because the only thing you can outrun is a ninja 250. Not exactly something to brag about. The 600 has about 83 h.p. stock with a top speed of about 150 m.p.h. on a good day with the wind pushing and a gixxer pulling you. It's tough to get it up there and it takes forever to get it up there. You can run about 120 to 130 all day long but the bike handles terribly. The widest tire you can fit on the back is a 160/60/17 which is too small of a tire to be hauling on a bike that big. And the suspension is so soft that if you are like me and weigh in at a little over 200 lbs that even with the suspension stiffened up it's still not enough. If this does help you nothing will. Good luck in your bike purchase.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
Lafonda McNasty

Send a message via AIM to Lafonda McNasty
i vote for the sv650s
Lafonda McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #20
coastal imports

thanks for the replys and no biggy on thread jack

Advertisement