Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #41
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
why are they caled rain slicks? they are not slick at all lol

you want to hit up Katy when i get my kx65 ready jody?
sure, let me get the frame fixed or replaced on mine first.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips for riding in rain? solow Safety Corner Main 43 05-20-2009 06:43 AM
No Rain... Anybody riding? maxgs Events, Meets and Rides 12 08-18-2008 07:05 AM
rain gone? anyone riding? Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-08-2007 01:52 PM
Rain Riding..... Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-15-2006 03:42 PM
I loved riding in the rain CBR600RR General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-13-2005 01:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #42
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Okay... I just know them as "rains" or "rain tires", never heard them called "rain slicks".
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #43
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt View Post
Okay... I just know them as "rains" or "rain tires", never heard them called "rain slicks".
werd
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #44
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
All of you that complain about riding in the rain are a bunch of and you all need to get rid of your bikes.

Go get a car. Jackasses
Let me start off by saying I have NEVER been on the track. But here is the way I see things. If I'm paying x amount of money for a track day, I expect dry weather.

If it is raining, instead of them canceling the track day, they should give people the option to still come at a discounted price.....say, 50%.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #45
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Okay here's one for you. If all that matters is improving your riding skills then I guarantee you if you go out on the freeway and ride against traffic and make without getting killed you will have improved your riding skills. If you want a bigger challenge try that in the rain. Let's see just how good you are.

Most people on here and doing track days have lots of improving to do riding on dry roads/tracks without ever needing to do it under slick conditions. Once you've done a significant amount of improving under dry conditions then maybe if you possess the ability you should move to less traction as practice.

I used to do lots and lots of off road riding all in dirt then several years ago I went out to Big Bend for the first time and started riding the mountain trails on rock and I swear the first time I did it I thought it was impossible. Then after awhile it became like normal and that improved my skill way beyond riding street and dirt. But if all I had had at the time was street experience I probably would have killed myself.

So back off the people who don't want to pay to ride fast in the rain and chance killing themselves and tearing up their bikes. We've seen plenty people crash out at trackdays and cause plenty of damage on perfect weather days, for many that's enough. So what the big deal!
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #46
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Let me start off by saying I have NEVER been on the track. But here is the way I see things. If I'm paying x amount of money for a track day, I expect dry weather.

If it is raining, instead of them canceling the track day, they should give people the option to still come at a discounted price.....say, 50%.

bro... u dont have a clue what it costs a trackday org. to rent the track. if they did what you are suggesting. they'd all go outta business and there would be no more trackdays. why dont u come and actually do a trackday before you start giving opinions how to run one
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #47
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
No backpeddling...just trying to get you people thinking...about ways to become better riders....which in turn...might just actually save your life someday.
Trying to get people to think? try a dif style... and to be blunt, how the is anyone supposed to have any idea of your qualifications/experience?

Do I ride in the rain? Not presently, need more rain gear...and I'm not going to risk ruining a jacket and boots by getting em soaked if I don't have to. In addition, the heat is a real pita that I don't feel like dealing with.

You know what works better, plain simple practice.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #48
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post

bro... u dont have a clue what it costs a trackday org. to rent the track. if they did what you are suggesting. they'd all go outta business and there would be no more trackdays. why dont u come and actually do a trackday before you start giving opinions how to run one
I can do simple math. Good weather + x amount of riders = x $$$. Bad weather + cancel track day due to bad weather = $0.00

Now you have vendors x, y and z all canceling track days. Now the track isn't being rented out to anyone. Track is losing, vendors are losing, riders that want to ride in the rain are losing.

So don't get on my just because I haven't made a track day. Money is money. A little profit is better than NO profit.

I suggest you go back to Economics 101.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #49
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
So don't get on my just because I haven't made a track day. Money is money. A little profit is better than NO profit.
..and no ambulance service to pay, no employees to pay if their closed, vs money spent & money earned for a 'wet track day'. Better no profit, no loss... than paying more than you earned for the day.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #50
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
I can do simple math. Good weather + x amount of riders = x $$$. Bad weather + cancel track day due to bad weather = $0.00

Now you have vendors x, y and z all canceling track days. Now the track isn't being rented out to anyone. Track is losing, vendors are losing, riders that want to ride in the rain are losing.

You are off on this one. The track does get their money. The track day organizer still has to pay for the agreed days track rental whether it rains or not. So the organizer would loose out on the income from the riders plus pay for the track rental. Now economics 101 that!
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #51
jodyhudson

Quote:

i dont need to go back to economics 101. i know exactly how the works because ive been doin it for 15 years.
3 of my closest freinds just so happen to own one of the trackday orgs. so yeah i actually might know what im talking about
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #52
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
beating a dead horse
Stole my pic lol.

And I ride rain or shine. That's how real riders do it
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #53
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Nothing makes a track day more exciting to me than rain. It's even better with thunderstorms! Lightning, hail...nothing makes riding a motorcycle more fun than that! Also, if I don't see at least 50% of the track covered by standing water then...I'm outta there. I mean, how am I gonna practice my Mad Skillz yo! without standing water on the track, and preferably in the corners. I like to live on the edge....of traction.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #54
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Chassis View Post
Nothing makes a track day more exciting to me than rain. It's even better with thunderstorms! Lightning, hail...nothing makes riding a motorcycle more fun than that! Also, if I don't see at least 50% of the track covered by standing water then...I'm outta there. I mean, how am I gonna practice my Mad Skillz yo! without standing water on the track, and preferably in the corners. I like to live on the edge....of traction.
and Sassy rides a whoolie around the entire track....thats how she rolls.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #55
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Chassis View Post
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #56
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...forget rain, bring on the ice.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #57
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...forget rain, bring on the ice.
hellz yeah ! break out the ice studs and lets get it on !!!!!!!!!!!

ice6b

Last edited by jodyhudson; 04-09-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #58
J lo
I am who U say I am

hahaha another rain thread.

The last one went way bad .. I give this one till the end of the day.
J lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #59
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
hellz yeah ! break out the ice studs and lets get it on !!!!!!!!!!!

ice6b
FAh studs are for pansies...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #60
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
FAh studs are for pansies...
yep... and so are FZ1's