MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
well why dont u start the first ever "RAIN-ONLY TRACKDAY" hotrod...
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips for riding in rain? solow Safety Corner Main 43 05-20-2009 06:43 AM
No Rain... Anybody riding? maxgs Events, Meets and Rides 12 08-18-2008 07:05 AM
rain gone? anyone riding? Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-08-2007 01:52 PM
Rain Riding..... Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-15-2006 03:42 PM
I loved riding in the rain CBR600RR General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-13-2005 01:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
How about phrasing a question to match the type answer your looking for.
Just stating the obvious.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #23
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
diggler

Quote:
well why dont u start the first ever "RAIN-ONLY TRACKDAY" hotrod
This isn't about "Track Days" Jody.
Its about using a tool..."rain"....to learn how to become a better overall rider, thats all.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #25
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
This isn't about "Track Days" Jody.
Its about using a tool..."rain"....to learn how to become a better overall rider, thats all.
i just figured an expert rain rider such as urself could show us how its done :dontknow:
Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
diggler

Quote:
thats some impressive backpeddling...
No backpeddling...just trying to get you people thinking...about ways to become better riders....which in turn...might just actually save your life someday.

Of course I'm sure you think my reasoning is absurd...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

well train all the cagers how to drive in the rain.. then it will be better for us to ride in the rain...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
diggler

Quote:
i just figured an expert rain rider such as urself could show us how its done
Who is us? I know for a fact you don't need the help....I've ridden against you.

I also never stated I was the know all when it comes to rain. That was your assumption.

The only point I was getting at was riding in the rain will make you a better overall rider period....and all those people complaining about it should maybe look at it from a different aspect....thats all.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #29
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
Who is us? I know for a fact you don't need the help....I've ridden against you.

I also never stated I was the know all when it comes to rain. That was your assumption.

The only point I was getting at was riding in the rain will make you a better overall rider period....and all those people complaining about it should maybe look at it from a different aspect....thats all.
i see ur point... kinda. but i think ur trying to force that one on an audience that has very little interest in rain riding whether its on the track or off. these folks are street riders and fair-weather trackday guys/gals. i dont think they wanna go trash their pretty little bikes in the pouring down rain just to improve their over-all skill level.

if u were talking to a message board full of racers... id agree with ya a little. but ur not. so let them be. now if u really wanna get down with sum rainy ridin bro. get ya a motard with sum rain slicks and we can go play ill be more than happy to join u !
Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
well train all the cagers how to drive in the rain.. then it will be better for us to ride in the rain...
:r ofl::rof l: :r ofl::rof l:
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #31
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i see ur point... kinda. but i think ur trying to force that one on an audience that has very little interest in rain riding whether its on the track or off. these folks are street riders and fair-weather trackday guys/gals. i dont think they wanna go trash their pretty little bikes in the pouring down rain just to improve their over-all skill level.

if u were talking to a message board full of racers... id agree with ya a little. but ur not. so let them be. now if u really wanna get down with sum rainy ridin bro. get ya a motard with sum rain slicks and we can go play ill be more than happy to join u !

do motards really handle well in rain??? i want a husky 610 and want to know, or is it only much better with rain slicks... I'm just curious.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #32
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Ill have the KX65 ready to go hopefully in a month jody and i will be hitting up Katy on a few rainy days would you like to join?

and as far as diggler I take it you are a racer because you said that you road AGAINST jody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #33
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
do motards really handle well in rain??? i want a husky 610 and want to know, or is it only much better with rain slicks... I'm just curious.
motards rock in the rain... especially when u have rain slicks mounted plus if u throw it down... it wont cost u big $$$ to fix. motards are awsome tools for rain-rider training
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #34
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

I've ridden in the rain a few times (not out of choice) and everytime I start to like it more and more. First time sucked because it was 40 outside, second was a little better, but last week I actually had quite a bit of fun in the torrential down pour that I rode right into! It's interesting seeing what the bike does in different/slick conditions, but the first few times is definitely an eye opener. For all of those that haven't tried it, I'd recomend it!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #35
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post

Diggler,

I gotta agree with Jody here. But to answer you questions about if it helps or not. I agree with you fully.

Last year I was probably one of the slowest racers from the MH crowd in mini racing, almost everyone including my team mates made fun/critiqued me negatively of how I could'nt ride longer stints, was a ***** complaining about motor power, just not good enough, blah blah.

I was always a fan of rain riding and took everything to heart about my 'terrible' skills and worked my off in the off season. I would go ride rain or shine every oppurtunity I would get. One thing I quickly noticed was that one rain day riding in the rain for me was equal to 3 days of riding in the dry (learning wise).

Rain riding just taught me to be smooth, trust my tires more, trust my own ability, teach me how to get a cleaner drive coming out of corners (try it in the rain, increase the throttle till you feel the rear slide - at that point try to hold it constant).

Guess wha...

come before race day it was pouring rain @ Katy, 55 deg - super duper wind. I was injured but still went out and rode and managed to put in 58 second laptimes (barely). Well next day it was the 4 hour endurance race, and weather was dry, warm in the high 70s.

Guess wha? I ran consisten 54-55 second lap times and even managed to put in two 53 second lap times (2nd faster in my class).

We finished 1st in our class, the next day in sprints I finished 1st again in motard novice and two 3rd positions aswell.

Guess what happened? Our team got protested and we got $100 out of it and came out clean.

So yea If its raining and you have a dedicated track bike or just like riding in the rain like me - go for it. I do it - and I get flamed for it, so now i've just given up saying it to anyone.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #36
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

From my experience, not that it's alot compared to other seasoned racers... racing in the rain, levels the playing field. Most people are scared to push the pace during a wet race. It teaches you how to be extremely smooth on the gas, and with your body position... granted, you are running with rains. I've had some of the most fun time on a bike during an endurance race in the rain at Hallett.

Jody... just curious, what are "rain slicks"?!?!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt View Post
From my experience, not that it's alot compared to other seasoned racers... racing in the rain, levels the playing field. Most people are scared to push the pace during a wet race. It teaches you how to be extremely smooth on the gas, and with your body position... granted, you are running with rains. I've had some of the most fun time on a bike during an endurance race in the rain at Hallett.

Jody... just curious, what are "rain slicks"?!?!
go here: http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/RoadRacing.aspx

or call John Hutchinson @ South Central Race Center ... aka Kawijim on MH
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #38
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
and I bet you ride everyday, no matter what...cause you're obviously a badass.

Come talk when you ride in 30 degree rain with ice forming on the inside of your face shield.
(not that it was smart, but i didnt whine)
eww i got you beat 20 deg rain in marblefalls! with DaveC , Zrob, and a few others from Moto
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #39
jodyhudson

Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #40
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

why are they caled rain slicks? they are not slick at all lol

you want to hit up Katy when i get my kx65 ready jody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement