MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #21
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

using a stick or your hand will send your learning curve in reverse. a scared dogs lears nothing. terrible idea. really.
as far as rotts, I hated working with them. fun, sweet dogs, but too hard headed. no good for real protection (IMO) terrible out, stubborn. if you can manage the rotts, I'm impressed. is your boerboel a toy, food, or attention driven dog? you can hone in on what he likes and use it if you know what it is.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with steering and handling 713RR How To's and Q & A's 10 05-29-2015 05:02 PM
Victory owners - Handling/Twisties? kxthor911 Cruisers Lounge 3 05-02-2014 04:19 PM
my handling issue.... Jerzey How To's and Q & A's 12 10-02-2010 03:02 PM
handling question bigjay77 Taking it to the Track 28 10-13-2005 11:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
melissa claire
hardy har har

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
using a stick or your hand will send your learning curve in reverse. a scared dogs lears nothing. terrible idea. really.
as far as rotts, I hated working with them. fun, sweet dogs, but too hard headed. no good for real protection (IMO) terrible out, stubborn. if you can manage the rotts, I'm impressed. is your boerboel a toy, food, or attention driven dog? you can hone in on what he likes and use it if you know what it is.
The rotts were trained by my sis in law and I. very attention driven. The Boerboel is my significant other's dog. It isnt attention driven. and only listens to my SO. how do i change that? as far as i can tell it is food driven but is on some special diet to make it gain some muscles. (lol My SO's doggie bodybuilding diet ftl) so no treats or such. how do i work around that?
melissa claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #23
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

get that dog off the juice. 2 shots of hcg and it will be fine to feed it whatever you want.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
get that dog off the juice. 2 shots of hcg and it will be fine to feed it whatever you want.
dont forget the nolva.

freakin roid heads and their PCT

Its not on the juice mr greg valentino
Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I've got an AKC belgian malinois... its my first dog. I picked him up free from my friend and he was already crate trained, so I figured I couldn't pass him up.

He does fairly well with commands, but sometimes he just won't listen (like when I actually NEED him to "come"); its like he knows... We went to Memorial Park for a ride (run for him) and when it was time to leave there, he went and hid in the bushes. I tried softly calling him, sternly calling him... nothing worked. I had to go in, grab his 'lil neck and carry him out. Maybe he knew it was time to get in the truck...

Thoughts?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

you have to find a treat he CAN have. ask your vet for diet-restricted treats, they should be able to help. I know a lot of dogs who have various diet issues for health, allergies, weight loss/gain. there has GOT to be something he can have, even if it's just a taste. does he have a toy drive?

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
you have to find a treat he CAN have. ask your vet for diet-restricted treats, they should be able to help. I know a lot of dogs who have various diet issues for health, allergies, weight loss/gain. there has GOT to be something he can have, even if it's just a taste. does he have a toy drive?
he does actually. did not even think of the toys. so whats next?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #28
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

pre-k;
how long have you had him? have you figured out his motivation? you can always stick small treats in your pockets and give them out for returning to the vehicle when you're done playing. it'll make him want to come back to the truck to get his goodies. also, I would not let him work off-lead until you are really good with him. anything else?

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

melissa, as far as listening to you, be the one to feed him for two weeks. put his dinner in his bowl, but hold it by your chest. make him sit. when he's cool, put it waist height and let him eat about a quarter of it. lift it back up and make him sit again. repeat. at least an hour after dinner he can play with toys (you don't want to work him near dinner time, they get excited and can get GVD http://www.critterchatter.com/past_i...g05/bloat.html

play fetch with him. start by holding his toy and palying with it while you have it, establishing ownership. if he stops, take it and keep it. there can be no other toys around, or he'll just find one you don't have.

the purpose of you feeding him is to establish his pecking order. he sees your SO as the alpha, and thinks he's next. this puts you as his provider as well as the alpha(your SO).
if his toy drive is slow, cut a slit in a tennis ball and put a small amount (1) of his dinner in it ( or peanut butter is good if he can have it). make sure this is nowhere near his supper time. he'll want to play with the ball as it smells good and tastes like something he loves. I keep small bits of whatever the vet allows in my pockets for instant correction. it's a good thing my SO does laundry. I hope it's a good start, ask me anything if it doesn't go well!

I never let mine work off leash until their on leash manners are impeccable(for pre-k). oh, and if he stalls on you, reattach his lead and just walk right out. I use a gentle-lead on my golden. for the malanois or shepherd, use a seperate collar for "work" or being out somewhere, and regular for around the house. the work collar tells him it's time to learn, they love it. the keller method tells you "right hand moves=correction, left hand for praise". used on a choke chain alllthough that's not a good name for it. a regular slip-chain is what I'm referring to. my working dogs would change attitude immediately when the work collar came out! lemme know if it works, and join a schitzhund club for maximum payoff! if I still had a sleeve, I'd come show you what I mean. I hope non of what I said was too vague.

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

ps; everyone please read up on GVD. my shepherd had it several years ago and it almost killed him. the er vet renamed the operation the "Ingram" after he survived. cost me about $11,000 for his surgery and recouperation at A&M. the ear infection he had when I got him made the total cost around $20K, but the hardest part was on me. he was worth twice that easily, I had the money.

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #31
Javi
Siempre positivo..

i just tel him what i want him 2 do and he does it... sometimes takes a few talks.. but never went 2 class and i think i messed up a few times along the way....
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa claire View Post
he does actually. did not even think of the toys. so whats next?
quit trying to train my dog. he knows who the boss is and thats all there is to it

Advertisement