MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Dog handling?

So there has been a lot of dog posts around here, and my question is, what kind of handler schools have any of you been to, and what did you learn? I'll share mine later. What kind do you have and what have you done to familiarize yourself with the breed and it's capabilities?

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with steering and handling 713RR How To's and Q & A's 10 05-29-2015 05:02 PM
Victory owners - Handling/Twisties? kxthor911 Cruisers Lounge 3 05-02-2014 04:19 PM
my handling issue.... Jerzey How To's and Q & A's 12 10-02-2010 03:02 PM
handling question bigjay77 Taking it to the Track 28 10-13-2005 11:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

you should talk to joker he trains k9s
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
gem
o_O

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gem
Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
So there has been a lot of dog posts around here, and my question is, what kind of handler schools have any of you been to, and what did you learn? I'll share mine later. What kind do you have and what have you done to familiarize yourself with the breed and it's capabilities?
do you show dogs?

Attention for Rent: PM for a free quote.
Ask about the Emerald Club to see if you qualify for membership today!

gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

My dog jumped ship at 50 mph, so now hes scared of the inside of the truck, too (where I put him to take him home).

Hes getting better about being inside, but still won't get in on his own (I pick him up, whimpering).

Helpful hints (besides not putting him in the bed)?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
My dog jumped ship at 50 mph, so now hes scared of the inside of the truck, too (where I put him to take him home).

Hes getting better about being inside, but still won't get in on his own (I pick him up, whimpering).

Helpful hints (besides not putting him in the bed)?
Awww. He's scared to death of the car! :/: There really isn't a great way to make him face his fears- he just doesn't understand that. Only time will heal - and he may not ever love going 'bye-bye'

I've never had any formal training, but I've had dogs all my life and worked with them for years. My dogs (save one little retarded one) are well trained and have mostly good manners- although they are spoiled brats.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

well, I had no formal dog training until I got my malanois during my 10 year stint as a popo. afterwards I went to k9 handler schools all over, trying to be as good a hander as the dog I was gifted with. he was ending his term of service with the DODMWDA, and was smarter than most people. I had to buy him myself, as the dept at the time wouldn't spend the money (typical PD stupidity). so I got to go to schitzhund schools, regular patrol schools (mine was a track-and-bite, not detection) and a few others. I was lucky because my first one was already trained to do everything, but I needed to know how to keep him that way. handler certification, and general training/upkeep became a monthly thing. since I left (he passed several years after) I have taken my other adopted dogs to petsmart or other places for remedial training. unfortunately, they are good at some basics, but lack real education (what can you expect for $125). has anyone else been to the petsmart classes? has anyone else worked schitzhund here in houston? what did you think of either? has anyone worked up a dog for hunting, or for social/hospital work? I have a golden, a basset, and a fuzzy thing, so I can't do schitzhund anymore, but I was thinking about doing agility courses or some of those action competitions? has any of the people that drew out the pit thread done anything with theirs? there was a lot of opinions over there!

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
None, raised on the farm, have owned many different breeds and working dogs. I have watched training videos, and learned from others.

I have only had one dog try to bite me that we have owned. A catahoula leopard. This is a herding dog that has a blood line from wolves. That dog was transferred to an experienced Catahoula trainer/worker at a year old. He had the dog for 6 months before the dog turned on him also. The dog was put down. All my dogs since I was a kid have been well trained and well mannered. Ranging from chihuahuas, australian shephards, multiple beagles, retrievers, dachsunds, blue heelers and mutts. The only dog that is/was not real obedient is the golden we have now that my wife wanted to train with a gentle hand. I am not an abuser, but I am much more stern. Part of being a farm boy i guess. She is a sweet dog, just doesn't mind (kinda like the owner ). But, since you are tying this to the other thread, I also don't have confidence in my ability to own a fighting breed and handle them well enough to guarantee it won't turn on my family. In fact, I think probably 90% of the owners out there with those breeds are not capable, but that is my opinion. If I owned one, it would be a working dog (hogs) and therefore would not be a family pet anyways.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
well, I had no formal dog training until I got my malanois during my 10 year stint as a popo. afterwards I went to k9 handler schools all over, trying to be as good a hander as the dog I was gifted with. he was ending his term of service with the DODMWDA, and was smarter than most people. I had to buy him myself, as the dept at the time wouldn't spend the money (typical PD stupidity). so I got to go to schitzhund schools, regular patrol schools (mine was a track-and-bite, not detection) and a few others. I was lucky because my first one was already trained to do everything, but I needed to know how to keep him that way. handler certification, and general training/upkeep became a monthly thing. since I left (he passed several years after) I have taken my other adopted dogs to petsmart or other places for remedial training. unfortunately, they are good at some basics, but lack real education (what can you expect for $125). has anyone else been to the petsmart classes? has anyone else worked schitzhund here in houston? what did you think of either? has anyone worked up a dog for hunting, or for social/hospital work? I have a golden, a basset, and a fuzzy thing, so I can't do schitzhund anymore, but I was thinking about doing agility courses or some of those action competitions? has any of the people that drew out the pit thread done anything with theirs? there was a lot of opinions over there!
I started my black lab I have now for retrieving birds. Had her to a point she would do it, and then I got busy, moved to Houston, and quit working with her as much. She would go get doves for me, but I didn't have her getting ducks yet. :/: That is what I used the videos for. Goldens are really smart. Mine doesn't have the patience to learn that stuff, but she got spoiled to much as a puppy. I truly think if you can't spoil them before you teach them. At least not as much as mine got spoiled. I think agility courses would be awesome. I would love to get dogs into the hunting competitions, or the long jump in stuff.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

having a bird dog would be awesome, but I just don't hunt as much as I used too. the competitions of all kinds does look really fun, I'm going to check in and see what all I need to do. goldens are so smart, but they also get their feelings hurt easily if you correct them harshly. mine gets a sad dejected look, and looks for my gf to sit in her lap if I say anything above a whisper when correcting him.

funny, with as many opinions as were thrown about with the pit thing, so few seem to have any background or education with regard to what they were arguing about.

hmmmmmmm.

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
having a bird dog would be awesome, but I just don't hunt as much as I used too. the competitions of all kinds does look really fun, I'm going to check in and see what all I need to do. goldens are so smart, but they also get their feelings hurt easily if you correct them harshly. mine gets a sad dejected look, and looks for my gf to sit in her lap if I say anything above a whisper when correcting him.

funny, with as many opinions as were thrown about with the pit thing, so few seem to have any background or education with regard to what they were arguing about.

hmmmmmmm.
haha, my golden is the same way. My last one was a man's dog. She was awesome, this one, well she is a IMO. Love her, she is sweet, but can't listen for jack. My old one used to dig out of my yard. Well being the redneck I am, I got a hot wire for the bottom of the fence. She promptly unplugged the cord from the box, without chewing on the cord. Opened the gate using the handle and went playing. Some one stole her though. She was my favorite so far. :/:

And you are right about the pits, thats my problem with them. I think professional training SHOULD be required to own them. But most dogs don't need THAT much special attention to be good family dogs. I know they CAN be good dogs.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

I have never taken any of my dogs to formal training, dont know if I lucked out and got really good dogs or what. I can leave my pom outside and she will never leave my yard, i can have her cage open or even my front door open and she wont leave without permission, my mom tries to give her food and she will leave it there until she gets an ok. She is such a good dog, she is the type of dog you dont have to have a leash to walk.
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Quote:

I see that the Malanois is quicky becoming the working (police, military) dog of choice. why is that? are they that even tempered?
melissa claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

no training besides seeing how my dad handled dogs growing up and seeing what worked. I have a russian toy terrier that used to beg for food... now she just gives you the sad eyes and waits for me to feel guilty.... and the aussie, i got when he was 3 years old but he's learing some things.... so i must be doing something right
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez View Post
I have never taken any of my dogs to formal training, dont know if I lucked out and got really good dogs or what. I can leave my pom outside and she will never leave my yard, i can have her cage open or even my front door open and she wont leave without permission, my mom tries to give her food and she will leave it there until she gets an ok. She is such a good dog, she is the type of dog you dont have to have a leash to walk.
Poms are cute. My wife had a miniature dachsund which was the cutest thing too. Sad story with that one.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

malanois are a little trickier to work than shepherds. they have a longer attention span, but can be harder to "out" (release a bite from toy or person). I have had both shepherds and malanois, it really depends on the handler and his commitment. a malanois is NOT the dog of choice for a first time handler.

most dogs will respond to attention as a motivator. little dogs are SO attention motivated. I like them all.

PM's open temporarily.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

my neighbor trains his dog by wacking it with a stick....lol...hes old school,
Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
my neighbor trains his dog by wacking it with a stick....lol...hes old school,
i use my hand
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Quote:
malanois are a little trickier to work than shepherds. they have a longer attention span, but can be harder to "out" (release a bite from toy or person). I have had both shepherds and malanois, it really depends on the handler and his commitment. a malanois is NOT the dog of choice for a first time handler.

most dogs will respond to attention as a motivator. little dogs are SO attention motivated. I like them all.
have you ever worked with Rotties or how about a Boerboel. any opinions on working with either breeds? my rotties are well trained but I cannot train the Boerboel for the life of me. a very smart dog when it wants to be.
melissa claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
ThomAss
I like to ride

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus