Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Definetly nice to have a couple buddies along for the ride.
I'll ride solo before I'll ride with someone thats unpredictable though.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
Group Rides... thoughts texlurch General Discussion (Moto Related) 143 10-30-2009 11:37 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
Group forest rides... Hooligan Events, Meets and Rides 143 06-24-2008 09:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #22
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
I'll ride solo before I'll ride with someone thats unpredictable though.
I've seen people post that they would never go on a group ride because they don't want to ride with irresponsible people. I guess my point was that motorcycling is very much a community sport. I can walk up to pretty much anyone with a bike and start a conversation. We already have something in common that most people don't, being a rider.

You can always show up to a ride and then leave if you aren't happy with it or with people in it. I believe that it's the responsibility first of the ride leader and second of the other riders to let someone know that they are riding in an irresponsible or unsafe manner. If they can't keep themselves in check, they can find another group to ride with.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I'd heard that everyone rides their own pace, so the group will let the slower lag behind then wait later to catch up, especially at twisties. etc. So is the mature point of view riding at the the slower rider can feel comfortable and safe at?

I understand the pressure point. No one wants to lag behind, so me on my ninja 250 will push myself to be carving twisties really fast when perhaps i'm not quite ready for the higher speed limit that others have developed....

So is that really the way to ride, ride at the slower pace when with a full group?

And last question, what do you do about some squid who joins your group cruising... had this happen last time i went with a group. All of us were in full to half gear (some didn't wear geared pants, but honestly in groups how many do, i seem to be the anomaly)......He had a beautiful bike custom worked on , a Gixxer? Anyway, he had a helmet and gloves, that was it, and joined up. What do you do, ignore, or pull over and advise its a closed group unless full safety gears worn and we get to know the person, or what?
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I'd heard that everyone rides their own pace, so the group will let the slower lag behind then wait later to catch up, especially at twisties. etc. So is the mature point of view riding at the the slower rider can feel comfortable and safe at?

Point of view varies; my original list was to point out factors and what the odds do in relation. My feeling is to make the decision up front, but if you say you are running a relaxed, noob pace, then stick to it. The "noob" also has to be aware of the pace the ride is going to be at, and realize he will be riding alone a lot on some of these faster paced rides.

I understand the pressure point. No one wants to lag behind, so me on my ninja 250 will push myself to be carving twisties really fast when perhaps i'm not quite ready for the higher speed limit that others have developed....

So is that really the way to ride, ride at the slower pace when with a full group?

That is the way we do it with new riders. We have a couple regulars that don't run the speed we do thru the curves, but they are mature enough to do their own speed, and we always cruise/slow in the straights so they don't have to run 1XX to catch back up.

And last question, what do you do about some squid who joins your group cruising... had this happen last time i went with a group. All of us were in full to half gear (some didn't wear geared pants, but honestly in groups how many do, i seem to be the anomaly)......He had a beautiful bike custom worked on , a Gixxer? Anyway, he had a helmet and gloves, that was it, and joined up. What do you do, ignore, or pull over and advise its a closed group unless full safety gears worn and we get to know the person, or what?

Anytime we get a drop in, regardless of their gear, we pull off at the next opportunity and see whats up. Most of the time they don't stop and continue on their way. There are a couple threads where drop ins caused accidents with the group, so I prefer not to even give them the chance.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #25
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post

Point of view varies; my original list was to point out factors and what the odds do in relation. My feeling is to make the decision up front, but if you say you are running a relaxed, noob pace, then stick to it.

That is the way we do it with new riders. We have a couple regulars that don't run the speed we do thru the curves, but they are mature enough to do their own speed, and we always cruise/slow in the straights so they don't have to run 1XX to catch back up.

Anytime we get a drop in, regardless of their gear, we pull off at the next opportunity and see whats up. Most of the time they don't stop and continue on their way. There are a couple threads where drop ins caused accidents with the group, so I prefer not to even give them the chance.
wise insight. Thanks for your time and constructive advice.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I like the MH groups. I have been out with non-mh riders and I trust them less. I HATE when peeps think they have to share your lane side by side with you. I rode a couple of weeks ago with a non-mh group and found that almost all were riding without m endors.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #27
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
^ you mustn't have ever read any Ayn Rand.
the fountainhead????
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

^ liked that one much better than Atlas Shrugged - but I like the novella Anthem the most.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #29
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I like the MH groups. I have been out with non-mh riders and I trust them less. I HATE when peeps think they have to share your lane side by side with you. I rode a couple of weeks ago with a non-mh group and found that almost all were riding without m endors.
that is another good factor to note....

riders without license/insurance = bad

Not to put anyone down, but I like to know what to expect in the event of a traffic stop.. is someone going to run? Is the cop going to be an to all of us because one or two are riding dirty?

My bottom line is this:

A group ride is just that. A GROUP ride. We are out to have a good time as a group, not a bunch of individuals. Everyone has a different definition of "good" time, so you need to know what to expect when you sign up for a ride. If you know the group plans to run at 1XX all day, and you are uncomfortable with it, plan to be alone, playing catch up all day, or find another group to ride with.

Also ask what the general rules are up front... are people dive bombing others in the curves or over blind hills? Ask up front and decide early, so we don't have to keep adding to the list of downed riders.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #30
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

good stuff.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #31
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

And to add a little more than that, most of the time the riders will naturally sort themselves out so that the faster ones are towards the front and the slower ones at the back. I usually ride near the back at the beginning of the ride to get an idea of how the group is riding.

Plus, even if you are slow out there you still won't be alone. The sweeper will be behind you and be at the slowest persons pace.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #32
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

my first ride i felt uncomfortable with someone behind me, since i was new, so how does a sweeper handle that... just rides no matter what with the pace of the slower rider... as a courtesy and goodwill?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #33
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
my first ride i felt uncomfortable with someone behind me, since i was new, so how does a sweeper handle that... just rides no matter what with the pace of the slower rider... as a courtesy and goodwill?
My old lady hates it when someone is behind her! Unless it is someone who knows what they are doing and gives you some space.

My rule of thumb is to open up to 2 sec gaps, single file, when you get in the twisties. That also gives everyone a margin in case the one in front of you messes up and you need to avoid him or the bike. Plus no passing in the corners (we aren't racing anyhow)

The sweeper, idealy, should be an experienced rider, and have a copy of the planned route. Anytime you come to turns and intersection, the group should wait until the sweeper rolls up and gives a thumbs up. The sweeper should also know enough to hang back a bit and not crowd the slower peeps, since their concentration needs to be on the road, not on someone hovering on their and running up on them in the corners. He/she should also have the leaders cell number in case anything happens, so he can let them know to come back and lend a hand.

But, if the group is riding at an overall pace that suits everyone, there should be no issues at all, since everyone is rolling at around the same speed.

On bigger rides with larger gaps in skills, when I ride sweep I tend to hang way back so I don't bother anyone, and also can play a little in the turns.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Is this a problem with specific riders or anyone right behind you? In Houston, it's pretty common to have a car crowd you from behind. If you're uncomfortable with riders right behind you, just let whoever is riding behind you know so they can give you a comfortable distance or wave them ahead of you.

Here are my characteristics of a good sweeper. The sweeper is there to make sure that everyone makes it to the next stop. Should be an experienced rider and know the route. Will ride at the back of the pack and help keep an eye out for riders that could cause trouble. The sweeper should ride well within their limits and will stop to help any riders that are having issues. On bigger rides or with less experienced riders it's kind of a baby sitting position. I prefer to think of it as good cruising time and just enjoy an easy pace. That's what I envision and try to be on the occasions that I sweep.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #35
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I've seen side-by-side riding on MH group rides, as well, but I've only been on 2 or 3.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #36
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
I like riding in groups, but I always feel bad that my bike has a top speed of 75-80. I don't mind being behind, but I don't like that one guy to feel obligated to stay behind me.

Also, I really don't love for that ONE rider who thinks its okay to come up on me in my lane. Is this something I'm just going to have to get used to?
baby doll, that one guy staying behind you isn't doing it because he feels obligated. He's doing it for the view.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #37
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
I agree entirely.... Galveston's 78 bike ride was perfect example; everyone stayed together on the ride over and everything was awesome....
no. there were a few that the "group" failed to make sure was with everyone and they got left behind. my wife was one of them. it was her first group ride too. i guess there was no designated sweeper.

Last edited by Azylum; 04-08-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #38
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

My two cents. When it comes to twisties, here's what is important to me. Keep the group 15 and under. Have a LEADER and a SWEEPER. Make sure everyone knows to ride at their own pace. Frequent stops (i.e. let everyone catch up) is a good thing. Whenever you make a turn, come to a stop sign, etc. Group stops to wait until every is there.

My experience has shown when you do with twisties with just a handful of people, there tends to be a tendency to try to keep up or show off. I try to shy away from riding with just a few people. Either go by myself or a decent size group (10-15)

When it comes to something like the Galveston run, to me it doesn't matter the size of the group.

And like the original post stated, leader needs to lay down the ground rules. There is one guy I used to ride with that is currently in Iraq. I really liked him as a leader. He was always clear about the ground rules. Ya know, NO passing in the SAME lane, NO passing in a curve. And if we were stopped for too long, before we started out again he would remind everyone of the cold tires.

To sum it all up, I would say whoever puts together the group ride needs to LEAD. And with ANY good leader, that can make all the difference
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #39
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Every ride I've been on, the ride leader has stated staggered riding until we get to some turns and then single file (with a safe following distance) so you get the whole lane to yourself.

I wouldn't put up with someone riding right beside me. At a stoplight sure, but rolling along I want the width of the lane to myself. It's not uncommon to have to avoid debris in the road, the last thing I want to worry about is what the guy right next to me is going to do when I swerve in his direction to avoid that gravel/cat/tire carcass.

Advertisement