MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #81
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

btw dug this up...

Quote:
Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
S Left pending in committee 02/25/2009
S Testimony taken in committee 02/25/2009
S Considered in public hearing 02/25/2009
S Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 02/25/2009
S Referred to Transportation & Homeland Sec. 02/17/2009 268
S Read first time 02/17/2009 268
S Filed 01/20/2009
S Received by the Secretary of the Senate 01/20/2009

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB502

on a side note..the senate had one meeting this week, and arent' scheduled again until March 9th.

...from what little I can find for the terminology 'left pending' pretty much means it's likely to sit there and rot.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cali lane sharing is awesome! CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 12-06-2013 12:49 AM
Lane Splitting/Sharing... Tony1K Off Topic 11 01-08-2009 11:05 PM
Geez... sharing the lane?!?! specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-19-2008 08:10 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Lane Sharing sparky General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 12-22-2006 12:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #82
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
btw dug this up...

Quote:
Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
S Left pending in committee 02/25/2009
S Testimony taken in committee 02/25/2009
S Considered in public hearing 02/25/2009
S Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 02/25/2009
S Referred to Transportation & Homeland Sec. 02/17/2009 268
S Read first time 02/17/2009 268
S Filed 01/20/2009
S Received by the Secretary of the Senate 01/20/2009

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB502

on a side note..the senate had one meeting this week, and arent' scheduled again until March 9th.

...from what little I can find for the terminology 'left pending' pretty much means it's likely to sit there and rot.
That's what happened last time. We need to get some movement/response going if its going to garner any attention, but sadly there doesn't seem to be enough yet.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #83
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

rcvd this reply today....

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Polunsky_SC" <Steven.Polunsky_SC@senate.state.tx.us>
To: <***********>
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:31 PM
Subject: RE: SB 506

It needs help. Please contact your local State Representative and
Senator, and encourage your friends to do the same.

Steven Polunsky, Committee Director
Senate Transportation and Homeland Security
PO Box 12068, Austin, Texas 78711
512-463-0067 fax 512-463-0097

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 10:31 PM
To: John Carona
Subject: SB 506

I'm curious, if there is any real chance that
SB 506 (RE: Motorycle Lane Sharing) is to
progress beyond it's current state. Or if it's
more likely to sit to die in limbo once again.

Last edited by Ulric; 03-05-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #84
rhenriksen

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
rcvd this reply today....
Thanks for the update, have emailed my rep & senator.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #85
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

just found this...

http://www.tmra2.org/bills.shtml

If i understand this right, according to this site.. the TMRA2(?) is against SB 506?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #86
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
just found this...

http://www.tmra2.org/bills.shtml

If i understand this right, according to this site.. the TMRA2(?) is against SB 506?
Maybe due to the wording.
Quote:
No, it's not. The bill you linked was killed in committee. I inquired of Greg Bodin, Texas rep for the Motorcycle Riders Foundation. He replied on 8/31,

"Our legislative session ended in June. We killed this bill in committee because of some amendments. We were attempting to remove some amendments to our current helmet law, (which only makes us a 'semi helmet free' state"). The lane splitting bill would reintroduce the rules, we attempted to remove from the helmet bill. The sole intention of the author of the bill was to sucker some folks into supporting the bill, under the guise of giving some what they wanted, thus sabatoging the helmet issue if it had passed. The TMRA2, COC, & ABATE did not support the bill because of the language, but as a group would support a lane splitting bill if worded correctly. My personal opinion is against lane splitting, but that is just me. But the reason for killing the bill was the manditory rider training or insurance requirements. Although both training and PPI insurance are good to have, we feel the government has no bussiness forcing them on us."

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=134441
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #87
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Other online posts indicate the issue was that the wording of the bill was involving helmet usage thereby affecting freedom to choose wearing a helmet legally or not if lane splitting. That was the dividing point.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #88
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Thanks specter...

Id imagine it's the same again this year. Take what you can get, then work to get rid of the parts you don't like. We don't 'lose' anything at this point by doing it.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #89
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

one of the guys on TWTex has been in discussion with someone from TMRA, below is an exchange of emails. The first is his, 2nd is a response from TMRA and the third is his (very well written) reply...

Some emails between me and TMRA...

Quote:
To: webmaster@tmra2.org; chairman@tmra2.org
Subject: SB-506

Browsing your website, I see that you have SB-506 listed as a bill you are against. I hope you don’t mind if I ask why. This bill only increases the rights of us riders, and gives us an additional option when caught in heavy traffic. It does not force anyone to do anything that they don’t want to… if a motorcyclist feels that lane-splitting is too risky or dangerous, they are under no obligation to do so. Motorcyclists who wish to do so could pretend that the bill never even passed, and continue riding exactly as they do right now, with absolutely no effect to them. It does not remove any rights that we already have, it only gives us more. Why on earth would you not support that?

I hope you will reconsider your stance on your support of this bill. From what I understand, it needs all the support it can get.

Feel free to write back with your point of view on this legislation; I’d be interested in hearing it. Thanks for your time,

Kegan C
Quote:
To: C, Kegan J
Cc: chairman@tmra2.org
Subject: RE: SB-506

I have added our Chairman into this conversation in case there is anything I say wrong or clarification is needed.

We are not against lane splitting. We’ve supported lane splitting bills in the past, but they rarely go anywhere.

The problem is the wording on the bill, it requires the use of a helmet in order to lane split. Now we are not against helmet use, just the mandatory requirement of their use. This bill was submitted by Senator Corona and he is a supporter of mandatory helmet use. The last couple of sessions he has introduced mandatory helmet bills. We have successfully stopped them in the past so he is trying an end around to get mandatory helmet use by offering lane splitting.

The old adage “give them and inch, they take a mile” does indeed fit here. If we allow a crack in the door this session, they will use that the next session to put in even more restrictions. I can testify to that on other laws that have been enacted. They do it a little bit at a time and eventually before you know it your rights have been terminated.

Now as an organization we will attend the committee meetings and inform our legislators that we would accept the bill if the helmet clause was removed. We don’t slam the door on a bill like this if we can get someone to agree to the wording change. But seeing that the Senator Carona is the Chair of the committee that the bill is in, I see little chance that any movement in removing the helmet clause will be allowed on his bill.

Hope this answers your questions.

Elmer McKeegan
Quote:
Elmer, thanks for your response. If I may…
I am in agreement with you in opposing a mandatory helmet law. I rarely ride without my helmet, but I do enjoy having the freedom to not wear it if I so choose, and I do occasionally exercise that freedom.

My view is that this bill does not introduce any mandatory requirement. Riders who don’t use helmets right now can go right on ahead not using helmets. Sure, they aren’t allowed to lane-split, but they’re not allowed that now! It has NO EFFECT on them. And in the future, when they’re stuck in a 15-mile traffic jam on I-35, I’ll bet they would be thrilled to have the option to pull a helmet out of their bags, put it on for a while, and be able to pass through the traffic jam in a fraction of the time that it would have otherwise taken.

Also, I am in full agreement of the “give an inch, take a mile” view of things. They give us lane-splitting now, with a few restrictions. Let’s take that opportunity to show that it is a safe, sensible practice that is accepted across most of the world, and then ask why the restrictions are there and fight to get those removed. As I said… we are not giving them an inch. Every right we have now regarding riding and helmet use is unchanged, except we now have the opportunity to lane-split if we so choose. They are the ones giving us an inch. Let’s take it, and worry about the mile (ie, removing the restrictions on helmet use while lane-splitting) later.

I have my fingers crossed that you might decide to switch your stance on this legislation. Thanks for your time,

Kegan
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #90
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Now my personal in regards to the commentary from the TMRA

I think they have let this become a bit too 'personal' in regards to the Senator and their claims in regards to the 'helmet' legislation. Instead of siezing on an opportunity and using the very tools they claim the senator attempts to use, they're blinding refusing/considering any ground we might win. They accuse the senator of trying to put his foot in the door to gain movement for more restrictions, their trying to slam it shut instead of using this as an opportunity to wedge it open for their benefit.

If they, as they claim have been so instrumental and effective at blocking 'bad' legislation... why should they fear this opportunity? As Kegan put it, 'we' as riders do not really risk losing anything with this if it passes, but we do stand to gain.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #91
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Well right now it looks like the Bill (SB 506) may get a public hearing on the 18th of March at approx 0730 am. They have enough speakers lined up, but any/as many supporters as possible are invited/requested to attend.

It's been suggested that supporters that ride up, come with gear. Helmet, Gloves, Jacket etc. The idea is to demonsrate the supporters are safety concious, reponsible riders.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #92
azoomm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati 998
KTM 450 EXC tarded
Ducati M900
BMW F800GS
Ducati Hyper EVO SP

Send a message via Yahoo to azoomm
Quote:
Well right now it looks like the Bill (SB 506) may get a public hearing on the 18th of March at approx 0730 am. They have enough speakers lined up, but any/as many supporters as possible are invited/requested to attend.

It's been suggested that supporters that ride up, come with gear. Helmet, Gloves, Jacket etc. The idea is to demonsrate the supporters are safety concious, reponsible riders.
Thanks for posting it around!!! The more, the better. At the very least, to have people show up and sign a card FOR the bill... or anyone and everyone else - I need you to send your Senator a message with your support for SB506. At the same time, send Senator John Carona a message as well. It takes just a moment, and will get us so much farther. We need humans showing up, but if I can't have everyone there - I need at least a stack of printed emails.

We NEED a voice. And, right now our voice is the TMRA - THEY are our voice. They are making the legislature think WE want them talking for us - that is, if we don't do it ourselves.

Here's the contact info for the Senators:

Chair: Sen. John Carona (Introduced Bill)
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t16/dist16.htm

Vice Chair: Sen. Kirk Watson
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t14/dist14.htm

Sen. Wendy Davis
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t10/dist10.htm

Sen. Rodney Ellis
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t13/dist13.htm

Sen. Joan Huffman
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t17/dist17.htm

Sen. Robert Nichols
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...ist3/dist3.htm

Sen. Florence Shapiro
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...ist8/dist8.htm

Sen. Eliot Shapleigh
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t29/dist29.htm

Sen. Jeff Wentworth
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se...t25/dist25.htm

When contacting, reference Texas SB 506 so they know what you're talking about.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #93
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

bump good contact info... up march 18th tomorrow
Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #94
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
We NEED a voice. And, right now our voice is the TMRA - THEY are our voice. They are making the legislature think WE want them talking for us - that is, if we don't do it ourselves.
I think better said they WANT to be our voice, they've been trying to pass themselves as our 'voice'... but I think the recent response to the state has been, they are NOT.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #95
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

word is is passed the comittee with a 7-2 vote. Next it goes before the full senate.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #96
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

AMAZING. I never thought would happen. Kudos to those that were able to speak, show up, and those who took the step to support. I hope it passes senate. Most of what i've heard is that the committee is the hardest part to get passed!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #97
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

the text of the bill approved by committee

Here is the text per texas web site.

Quote:
SRC-HDA S.B. 506 81(R) Page 1 of 1
BILL ANALYSIS
Senate Research Center S.B. 506
81R4578 JAM-D By: Carona
Transportation & Homeland Security
3/13/2009
As Filed
AUTHOR'S / SPONSOR'S STATEMENT OF INTENT
Currently, traffic congestion is a major problem across Texas. It is a result of inefficient use of
our highway network. Texas is constantly seeking and implementing methods of improving
efficiency, such as HOV lanes, improved signal timing, and limiting truck lane usage. One relief
measure would be to allow "lane-splitting," which occurs when a motorcyclist moves between
stopped or slow traffic traveling in the same direction by using the space between the lanes of
traffic. Section 545.060 (Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic), Transportation Code, requires
a vehicle operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes to stay in one
lane. The width of a standard traffic lane is 12 feet and the width of a passenger car is
approximately 6.5 feet, while the width of a semi- trailer truck is approximately eight feet. This
leaves a space of approximately four to 5.5 feet between vehicles driving in two different lanes.
Allowing lane-splitting would effectively create space for additional cars in the lane being
vacated, and at no cost to the taxpayers.
As proposed, S.B. 506 authorizes the operator of a motorcycle to operate at a safe distance
between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction during periods of traffic congestion if the
operator and any passenger wear protective headgear and the operator moves at a speed no more
than five miles per hour greater than the speed of other traffic moving at a speed of 20 miles per
hour or less. This bill prohibits lane-splitting in a school crossing zone or a location where the
posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less.
RULEMAKING AUTHORITY
This bill does not expressly grant any additional rulemaking authority to a state officer,
institution, or agency.
SECTION BY SECTION ANALYSIS
SECTION 1. Amends Section 545.060, Transportation Code, by amending Subsection (a) and
adding Subsection (e), as follows:
(a) Creates an exception under Subsection (e).
(e) Authorizes the operator of a motorcycle to operate the motorcycle for a safe distance
between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction during periods of traffic congestion
if, notwithstanding Section 661.003(c) (relating to an exception to protective headgear
requirements), the operator and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the
safety standards adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation and the operator
operates the motorcycle at a speed not more than five miles per hour greater than the
speed of the other traffic, in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less,
and in a location other than a school crossing zone or a location where the posted speed
limit is 20 miles per hour or less.
SECTION 2. Effective date: September 1, 2009.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #98
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

This is from a blog of someone that attended...

Quote:
Then the old grizzled mohawk guy came out and said "We control six votes in there and it isn't going to pass, I just came to see what you yuppies were going to say." Ducati Shawn was cordial, probably because he didn't understand him the first time and tried to talk to him about the bill. Mohawk, repeating himself because he didn't get the kind of reaction he wanted, said "I didn't testify against it, I just wanted to see what you yuppies were going to say. We own six votes in there and we are going to defeat it again." The older woman who was helping him get around (maybe daughter or perhaps a formerly much youger wife) said, "it is just too dangerous, it is unsafe."
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #99
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

lol
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #100
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Here is my quick email via the senator's website:

Quote:
I wanted to advise you of my support for SB506. As a daily rider this makes an impact on a riders quality of life. I won't go into all the details of its benefits and they are mentioned in the bill's summary that just passed committee. This is an important issue to motorcyclists rights as it will be the first state to officially take steps to legalize it (CA allows it, but hasn't expressly taken steps to legalize it). Many countries already allow this and it has long been considered that USA has been slow in recognizing motorcycles as more than toys. Those of us that ride daily find it a invigorating way of life. Combining the fuel efficiency and lower cost of motorcyles in comparison with cars, for some of us it helps us commute longer distances with less overall cost. As a brief summary:
1. Enables efficient traffic flow and "extra" lanes for motorcycles in high congested traffic.
2. Allows motorcycles to filter to front of stop lights between cars helping move traffic.
3 Helps prevent rear end collisions which can be devasting to the rider's safety.
4. Recognizes the inherent benefits of motorcyles used for daily transportation in traffic efficiency.

I appreciate you taking time to consider this. A large portion of the motorcycle community supports this strongly.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxx

BTW.... don't hate on my quick email. I'm busy. I'm sure it's not that great. I've already put a lot of work in at the beginning of this thread, so if someone else wants to post a "draft" to help others avoid having to type their own letter, feel free, this is my 10 cents worth (more like 7.5 cents) :-) At least I took a step to email... why don't you !?!?! Here's the site:?

FIND MY SENATOR AND EMAIL HIM

Advertisement