MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #41
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

my bad homey, not trying to your thread.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cali lane sharing is awesome! CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 12-06-2013 12:49 AM
Lane Splitting/Sharing... Tony1K Off Topic 11 01-08-2009 11:05 PM
Geez... sharing the lane?!?! specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-19-2008 08:10 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Lane Sharing sparky General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 12-22-2006 12:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #42
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

BUMP! Election time coming up. Gary Elkins signs all around. If we don't get this passed this coming up year... then its TWO MORE YEARS before they'll possibly review... .

please review the top and take SOME action. Even if you won't split, support the right for bikers to be able to. How would you like 100 degree... stuck in HOV, and then just split around and bypass it all????

This isn't the thread to argue, just respond showing your support and actually take some time to spread this news and email Gary Elkins and your state rep (both please!) PASS THE NEWS to any other texas forum you're part of. We need grassroots.

Thanks ya'll!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #43
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Could an admin sticky this till Jan-Feb at least to make it easily seen?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #44
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

UPDATE FROM GARY ELKINS LAW OFFICE: REPLY RECIEVED

Quote:

I apologize that I have not responded to the email you sent last month in regards to the status of our research in regards to lane sharing. My Legislative Assistant left earlier this year and she was going to provide me with a briefing on the topic. I have been the only one in this office for several months so I am handling constituent issues, interim hearings, reviewing interim reports, the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and all my other duties. I am not trying to make excuses but unfortunately I have not had the time to gather the information needed for the briefing I will provide on possible legislative issues for the 81st Legislature to Representative Elkins in January 2009. This issue is in my pending file and I will get to it before the end of the year. I have several issues to review.

I have received several emails from others in support of lane sharing. I would suggest that you recommend that anyone interested contact their State Rep or State Senator and provide information on the issue and ask them to consider filing legislation. The more members you educate and ask to consider legislation the better chance of something possibly getting in the process. In our letter to you we also suggested you may want to discuss this issue with motorcycle associations such as the Texas Motorcycle Rights Association as well.

We will be in touch in early January.

Sincerely,

Debra K. Clonts
Chief of Staff
Office of State Representative Gary Elkins
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, Texas 78768-2910
(512) 463-0722
(512) 472-5610 (fax)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Email for:

CHAIRMAN OF TEXAS MOTORCYCLIST ASSOCIATION

chairman@tmra2.org

AMA - Contact us (form)

http://www.amadirectlink.com/email.asp

Take some action. Please help spread this news. We are within just a short time period. If you want the right to bypass congestion and filter without fear of a ticket on 100 degree days to the stop light... then take some time from posting and work on spreading the news and supporting this office.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #46
khager

Feedback Rating: (0)

Ok I sent a letter to my State Legislator Vicki Truitt and she seems receptive to the idea, according to her reply letter. I live in Keller (DFW area) Are you saying I need to email the TMA and AMA too? I am not a member of either, do I need to be? Would love to get this lane splitting law passed.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #47
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

No. Contact them to make a difference. You don't need to be a member to help spread support. Good for you for taking a stand on this!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #48
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Lane splitting is illigal??

whoops
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #49
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
thanks for sharing this....so you now suggest we email the state rep to escalate this? Do you have a general letter for this?
Yes, see the first pages of the posts. And yes, spread the word, spending 10 mins to contact and post on any other sites your member of and see what a difference we can try and make on this.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #50
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

You know that safe lane-splitting is actually NOT illegal in Texas, right?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #51
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
You know that safe lane-splitting is actually NOT illegal in Texas, right?
correct, nor is it legal.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #52
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
so ur saying if we get pulled over for doing it, we WON'T get introuble? And can fight it b/c it's legal if we do get a ticket? WOW, then what's the point of this thread!?
I think he's playing around. It IS NOT LEGAL. And you most likely WILL get a ticket if the officer is able to get to you or has an emergency lane to drive in and catch up or is just not partial to it. YOU CAN get a ticket.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #53
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Bumped. Keep up the work spreading this please. I need you guys to be spreading this to any other Texas Biker forum. We need to create support for this issue for it to be taken seriously. I'm working on getting some type of petition together, so I'll post that up once I get it ready. Please post a response if you took them time to foward a general letter to your state rep and also PLEASE also copy/contact Gary Elkins office to show support for this issue. Believe me, they are working on it, and the more calls, the more they will take this seriously. I truly believe we have a good shot at getting filtering legalized... what a boon it would be in traffic! We just have to show support otherwise IT WILL GET LOST in committee. The more support, the more shot we have at improving our quality of life as bikers and making riding even more a recognized form of legitimate transportation. See notes previously on getting the email for your rep and some generic support letters. You just have to copy and paste!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #54
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
I think he's playing around. It IS NOT LEGAL. And you most likely WILL get a ticket if the officer is able to get to you or has an emergency lane to drive in and catch up or is just not partial to it. YOU CAN get a ticket.
the code doesn't outlaw it, it doesn't allow it - what that means is it's discretionary whether you are riding recklessly or not. your ticket would be for reckless driving.

In CA everyone has to be under a certain speed, and your speed in relation to the cars has to be less than I think 10 mph...

otherwise... very likely reckless at 90 carving through 60 mph traffic...

lane-splitting is more for getting around stopped traffic, very carefully, not getting through freeway traffic that is moving.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #55
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
the code doesn't outlaw it, it doesn't allow it - what that means is it's discretionary whether you are riding recklessly or not. your ticket would be for reckless driving.

In CA everyone has to be under a certain speed, and your speed in relation to the cars has to be less than I think 10 mph...

otherwise... very likely reckless at 90 carving through 60 mph traffic...

lane-splitting is more for getting around stopped traffic, very carefully, not getting through freeway traffic that is moving.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I've known quite a few riders and done my research on this for a LONG time. CA lanesharing (whitelining as my friend called it) is done while moving, as in many foreign countries (UK, Italy etc). It's NOT just filtering at a light or stopped traffic, but normally the rule of thumb is once traffic is moving beyond 35 mph, you need to merge back in... though in practice in CA i've heard it's not always held to.

In case you haven't done it much, I started to as a rider with experince under a year and found it incredibly easy, just have to stay on your toes. I find under 35 to be very easy. I just cut back because of possibility of a ticket. ONCE legalized.... i'd be doing it ALL the time. (WITH being safe... after all its going to get me, not the driver... i'm out there to end up coming home to my lovely wife!)

BUT, in any case, please start or post on an old debate thread about this if you want to disagree. This thread is focused on THE PROMOTION of supporting it as a major step for motorcylists rights... NOT for debating its validity.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #56
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Agreed - sorry - I support it, if at least to define what is and isn't reckless.

I'm suspect that the driving community won't be very open to it though.... so I think if people do promote it, it needs to be included that when it is made legal (however defined) that it be communicated some way so people don't get all raged on us...

Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #57
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

heck yeah! good good point. Public awareness would need to be a program... kind of like "share the road" program, to make them more aware. However, houstonians overall won't change, its up to us to make sure we ride extremely aware and defensive and use this right with wisdom.

Anyone taken some action? I'm going to be taking steps to contact PR reps for some motorcycle manufacturers. This could improve sales long term in texas if communting picks up because of people seeing the advantages! I'm trying to spread the word.

Anyone have some influential contacts in california highway patrol that could help testify? Any contacts influentitial that could help show support.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #58
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Here is the result. Negative. I guess for now, we have to lane split illegally if we choose to do so, since they don't consider it important enough an issue... or actually care about it regrettably due to not ever having ridden. Whatever, I tried!

Peace out, this thread can retire in peace.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Hull:

I admire your support and eagerness to have legislation filed that would allow lane sharing in Texas. It is always nice to see citizens get involved in the process and you ask some very good questions. As I stated in my past correspondence, we would research the issue since we are not familiar with lane sharing and provide a briefing to Representative Elkins as he decides his Legislative agenda for the 81st Legislature.

My new Legislative Assistant conducted research in regards to lane sharing. She had to talk to three different people at the California Highway Patrol to try to get information on motorcycle lane sharing. They told our office that they do not have a law that permits motorcycle lane sharing but they also do not have a law that does not allow it. So basically it is not in statute in CA but it is not illegal since they don't have a law stating that you can't do it. We also contacted our Texas Department of Transportation and they have been contacted by a research group advocating for lane sharing but they state in their information that more research needs to be done.

After discussing the issue with Representative Elkins and showing him the research, he does not feel comfortable filing legislation to allow lane sharing in Texas. As you are aware, this will be a very difficult issue and it needs to be filed by someone who strongly supports and fully understands the idea of lane sharing. As you mentioned in your email in October, this is a topic that most people do not understand and there will be strong opposition from people who do not ride a motorcycle. As I have mentioned in the past, I would strongly recommend that you contact the motorcycle associations in Texas such as the Texas Motorcycle Rights Association. They are familiar with the legislative members and may be able to suggest a House and or Senate member that would be a better fit for this kind of legislation. I had also suggested to you that the individuals who support lane sharing contact their state Rep and/or Senator and provide information on the issue and ask if they may consider filing legislation to allow lane sharing.

Just from my experience, the best way to show support is for each supporter to write their state Rep and Senator. Each member is interested in what their constituency supports and opposes. We notify Rep. Elkins when his constituents write or call in support or opposition of a bill or topic especially when that bill is on the calendar for a vote. Some members may look at a petition if they can scan through it and see their constituents so you would need to include addresses. I would not include individuals from other states. We do not have the means or ability to set up an online petition or a support phone line in our state office.

I apologize that we are not able to help you at this time. If a member files the bill, Rep. Elkins is aware that you support lane sharing and will take that into consideration if he gets the opportunity to vote on such legislation. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #59
mikes-si

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki zx-6r

Can i use that letter to send to my city council man in college station? just change it up a bit?
mikes-si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #60
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-si View Post
Can i use that letter to send to my city council man in college station? just change it up a bit?
it's a general form letter, of course you can use it1

Advertisement