MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
you like the sissy bar comment?
it's true, but only when the gf rides with me, and with the extra weight, i could use all the stopping power i have, another reason i went with HH pads
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
four wheel skill Mike Ingle Off Topic 3 06-27-2009 02:40 PM
talent vs. skill The_Gunslinger Off Topic 5 02-13-2009 10:55 AM
Skill for LSTD CLETUS Taking it to the Track 2 08-18-2007 08:16 AM
Sobering article ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-19-2006 03:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #22
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

If you're having problems maintaining much of a straight line, with the rear locked...or you'r doing a long skid with the rear trying to brake with the rear (unintentionaly). You've got some fundamental issues in regards to braking to work on.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #23
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

like i said I hardly use it.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

For those that don't use the rear, try this.

First, adjust the rear pedal so your normal movement can't lock it. Will take some trial and error. You want to have it where you almost have to take your foot off the peg and stomp to lock it.

Now, at say 50-60 mph, grab a handful of front brake and see how the bike feels. Nose dive and rear tire in the air, correct?

Now, at the same speed, hit the rear first, then the front. What did the bike do? Less brake dive? More stable?

Your throttle control will also add to this. Chopping the throttle and grabing the brakes will make it dive more and more prone to rear lock. Try rolling out smoothly and braking at the same time.

The real trick is to find that back road speed where you don't need the brakes anyhow..
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Twist of wrist talks about technique and how a majority of dangerous highsides and problems occur from rear brake problems. Its BETTER to learn to use front properly than rely on more rear than needed, example of me today. I practice braking, and yet I still had a quick reaction that caused a little rear wheel slide.... I'm not a pro, but i'm no squid and i practice... I ride everyday rain or shine... and still it got me in a SR (survival reaction, from Twist of the Wrist 2)... I need more front control and to lighten on the rear....

Thanks all for the input...
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #26
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post

First, adjust the rear pedal so your normal movement can't lock it. Will take some trial and error. You want to have it where you almost have to take your foot off the peg and stomp to lock it.

Now, at say 50-60 mph, grab a handful of front brake and see how the bike feels. Nose dive and rear tire in the air, correct?

Now, at the same speed, hit the rear first, then the front. What did the bike do? Less brake dive? More stable?

Your throttle control will also add to this. Chopping the throttle and grabing the brakes will make it dive more and more prone to rear lock. Try rolling out smoothly and braking at the same time.

The real trick is to find that back road speed where you don't need the brakes anyhow..

Exactly how mine is set up. I have to nail the outta the rear to get I to lock. The few times I've had to panic stop I've gotten on both brakes hard and stopped/slowed easily.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I'm wondering - if you're really hard on the front brakes, and hit too hard on the back and create a lock-up, is it worse than locking up the back with no front brake, comparing how much the back end will tend to slide out sideways?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #28
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
I'm wondering - if you're really hard on the front brakes, and hit too hard on the back and create a lock-up, is it worse than locking up the back with no front brake, comparing how much the back end will tend to slide out sideways?
Depends, usually not since it is so lightly loaded. The bike is pretty unsettled already at that point anyhow.

You can lock it up by downshifting too hard as well, unless you have a slipper.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #29
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:

I have all of my bikes set up this way. Especially my daily driver that I use to go to and from work. In the mornings, when the road and tires are cold, you stand the best chance of looking one up.

I think the reason you locked was the fact that you were out of road and were about to eat cager more than brake performance. Seems like everytime I have to stop that quickly that happens. It's not the brakes.
I have just learned to give them a little extra room and focus on that what they are doing. Also, being impatient in traffic is a major no-no considering the amount of speed you can gain with a big hand full-o-throttle.

(I sound like Racer X)
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I use my rear brake alot for very low speed cornering(parkinglot) as well as slowing me down when I let out the clutch in traffic and going a daunting 5mph(busas don't appreciate those speeds and buck easily.)

I also flash my brake lights before braking when there is traffic behind me and to warn riders behind me when coming up on a tight corner.

If is wasn't important, it wouldn't be on there
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #31
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

i like to use the rear as lil as possible and when at low speeds and nothing crazy infront of me ill use only rear gently to slow me down, but thats something you will learn how to do in time, do what msf has taught you so far
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #32
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
i like to use the rear as lil as possible and when at low speeds and nothing crazy infront of me ill use only rear gently to slow me down, but thats something you will learn how to do in time, do what msf has taught you so far
i always use both, and only one time the rer had locked on me. but besides that time it always had worked great for me. at any speeds, of course i dont step on it, i push it gradually, but it goes all the way down at the end, in complement with the front,

sometimes i only use the rear for slowing down before a turn, and let it go while entering the turn.

it helps a lot and i say is a major no no not to use it, front do the majority of stopping, but rear works in a diferent way, but it works good
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #33
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:
Depends, usually not since it is so lightly loaded. The bike is pretty unsettled already at that point anyhow.

You can lock it up by downshifting too hard as well, unless you have a slipper.
I wish I had a slipper - I'm working on revving more on downshifting - I've had lockups in that case before. Is it possible to mod my 01 FZ1 to a slipper clutch?

On the other posts....
I'm not sure I agree with modifying the back brakes to reduce their effectiveness though... wouldn't it be better to learn a softer touch on the pedal??

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #34
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
On the other posts....
I'm not sure I agree with modifying the back brakes to reduce their effectiveness though... wouldn't it be better to learn a softer touch on the pedal??
The softer touch goes out the window in a panic stop. And I can't think of too many situations where I want to lock my rear.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #35
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

It used to be difficult to lock up my rear brake. It seems that it is easier to do now. Why is that? Does it need to be re-adjusted?
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #36
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Adjustment maybe, perhaps rear tire is worn, cold weather and roads, perhaps you are getting more comfortable with the front brake and using it harder

Advertisement