MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
diff. strokes for diff. folks I suppose....

no leaky seals that I've seen....and my grips are safety wired? Oh well, back to the original question....

just run the tie downs to the upper triple....worked for me for several years prior to getting a CD...and I've been happy with my CD for a year or so now.
ive used the canyon dancer in smaller trucks like the ford ranger in the first post. i also used the tie downs around the triples.

be sure the bike is in first gear!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please with trailering bike to COTA Goozie Ridesmart Motorcycle School 1 05-20-2014 02:36 PM
Bike Therapy - Ducati 900 SS SP Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 12-21-2012 11:43 PM
Standard vs SS bike Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 09-20-2012 06:17 PM
So no more SS bike for me.... tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 11-01-2010 04:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #22
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Pick up a set of soft loops at walmart for about $3.50. Run them through the lower triple clamp. One on each fork. Attach your straps to the soft loops. Run Your rear straps go to the rear sets, as close to the frame as possible.

Since most people already have straps this option costs less than $5.00 and is a very secure way to strap down the bike. Will not damage any paint or plastics if you do it right.
I like this idea but I'm having trouble visualizing it. I wouldn't suppose you have a picture of this setup?

Thanks for all the ideas so far everyone

I'm leaning towards the Cycle Cynch II. I have D-rings on the bottom of my trailer but I suppose I could just mount 2 D-Rings to the floor of the Ranger...any suggestions for or against doing this?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

BAXLEY SPORT CHOCKS ARE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD... just put it in your bed, ride the bike onto/into it and strap 'er down (you don't even have to strap that tight, just enough to keep it from wigglin').

Those chocks are like having a bunch of little muscle-bound gremlins holding your bike steady!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
I'm leaning towards the Cycle Cynch II. I have D-rings on the bottom of my trailer but I suppose I could just mount 2 D-Rings to the floor of the Ranger...any suggestions for or against doing this?
does the bed of your ranger not have "holes" at the upper front portion of the bed interior?

or hooks down at the base of the front of the bed.

I just used a ranger to tote my bike to GSS and it had two locations on either side of the bed to hook into....and then like Issani mentioned, I run a 3rd tie down through the rear tire/or rearsets to hold the back end down.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
BAXLEY SPORT CHOCKS ARE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD... just put it in your bed, ride the bike onto/into it and strap 'er down (you don't even have to strap that tight, just enough to keep it from wigglin').

Those chocks are like having a bunch of little muscle-bound gremlins holding your bike steady!
eh... At $250 I'm just not feelin' it

I guess I need to decide b/t the Harbor Freight chock or the Cycle Cynch II. I like them both but I'd rather just have D-Rings attached to my bed than the chock. The chock would definately be a good addition to my trailer though, although I will probably be using just the truck much more often.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #26
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
does the bed of your ranger not have "holes" at the upper front portion of the bed interior?

or hooks down at the base of the front of the bed.

I just used a ranger to tote my bike to GSS and it had two locations on either side of the bed to hook into....and then like Issani mentioned, I run a 3rd tie down through the rear tire/or rearsets to hold the back end down.
It does, I have some cheap rings in them right now that bend with any kind of real weight, but they worked good just to stop my Raptor/CR's from hopping around. I also have some type of polymer(??) rings attached to the side of the bed in the corners but I wouldn't trust them or the screws that hold them to hold my MC, especially considering I will most likely need to keep the tailgate open while towing since the bike is going to be too long. I think the Cycle Cynch is meant to be cynched down pretty close to the front tire as well, and not at an angle. I'm worried that I don't have a good hooking point with regular ratchet straps w/o having to worry about damaging plastics :/:
Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #27
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
It does, I have some cheap rings in them right now that bend with any kind of real weight, but they worked good just to stop my Raptor/CR's from hopping around. I also have some type of polymer(??) rings attached to the side of the bed in the corners but I wouldn't trust them or the screws that hold them to hold my MC, especially considering I will most likely need to keep the tailgate open while towing since the bike is going to be too long. I think the Cycle Cynch is meant to be cynched down pretty close to the front tire as well, and not at an angle. I'm worried that I don't have a good hooking point with regular ratchet straps w/o having to worry about damaging plastics :/:
well, I'm lost (as far as vizualization)...most beds have square "holes" on the bed rails and then on the inside as well...That is where I hook them when using the canyon dancer....I would think mounting D-rings to the floor of the bed all the way up to the front would be your best bet if no "holes" are present. Good luck either way
Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Haha, there are holes, I just have some of these in them:

Trailering a SS bike

I'll just take them off, but wouldn't that be too much angle for a handlebar type strap?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

i just pick-up my wifes bike from austin and we tided it from the triple clamp on the back of my cousins ranger.....kind fo put it sideways and the tailgate closed....we got out of austin and stop to eat...checked it...and it was fine....we got to the house (humble) and it was just like we tided 4 hours earlier.....
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

Quote:

Trailering a SS bike

I'll just take them off, but wouldn't that be too much angle for a handlebar type strap?
o by the way....we poped one of those when loading it..be carefull not to pump those ratchets to hard

we fixed it right there thou
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #31
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
CANYON DANCERS SUCK.....I REPEAT.....CANYON DANCERS SUCKKKKKKK!!!!

Cycle Cynch, is a WAY better option. worth the extra bucks. cycle cynch is designed to pull down.....canyon dancers pull off to the side. which in turn not only slowly pulls the grips off your bike, but your bike can still sway side to side.

http://cyclecynch.com/

patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited carries these also....i gave away my canyon dancers after i tried the cycle cynch's.
This is so true! I have one and they are super!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #32
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:

Trailering a SS bike

yes, especially for canyon dancers.

notice how the bike CAN sway side to side if not strapped down tight enough.
Trailering a SS bike

and you can see how the cycle cynch pulls down....

cyclecynch1

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #33
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i have both canyon dancers and cycle cynch here at the shop....and can show you a comparison in person if you need that extra bit to go with cycle cynch.

you can also see how much dust my last pair of canyon dancers have collected since i started using the cycle cynch

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #34
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
i have both canyon dancers and cycle cynch here at the shop....and can show you a comparison in person if you need that extra bit to go with cycle cynch.

you can also see how much dust my last pair of canyon dancers have collected since i started using the cycle cynch
Now I see what you are saying, but...my tie down points have never been an issue....they always seem to pull down.

with that being said...

I'll take your Canyon Dancer for free
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #35
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:

I'll come by and see the difference if you want to donate that dancer I can sacrifice quality for cost

In all seriousness, thank you for the offer.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #36
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
agreed. to get my bike stable with the canyon dancers i had to compress my forks the same, and every time after i'd unload the bike, the fork seals will have seeped from being compressed so long. and not to mention having to replace the grips everytime i used it. even destroyed a set of stock grips that were glued on the clip-ons. unless they're safety wired, they're going to get ruined. worst 35 bucks i ever spent.
my grips are safety wired and they still slide off with the canyon dancers
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha429 View Post
my grips are safety wired and they still slide off with the canyon dancers
ANOTHER USER ERROR
Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #38
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
CANYON DANCERS SUCK.....I REPEAT.....CANYON DANCERS SUCKKKKKKK!!!!

Cycle Cynch, is a WAY better option. worth the extra bucks. cycle cynch is designed to pull down.....canyon dancers pull off to the side. which in turn not only slowly pulls the grips off your bike, but your bike can still sway side to side.

http://cyclecynch.com/

patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited carries these also....i gave away my canyon dancers after i tried the cycle cynch's.
CYCLE CYNCH FTW!!!

canyon dancers squish ur controls.

I always use four straps on my bikes, just in case one goes.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #39
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I spend too much on my trailering stuff. Bike Grab chock that holds the bike on its own, and ratchet straps with soft loops around the frame by the pegs.

The suspension is compressed just like you're riding it, and it just floats along over the bumps.

I also add a strap around the front wheel to keep it in the Grab in the very unlikely event both straps let go.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #40
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
I like this idea but I'm having trouble visualizing it. I wouldn't suppose you have a picture of this setup?

Thanks for all the ideas so far everyone

trailer tie down

Here is the closest pic that I could find. Instead of the loop going on the bars of the harley, they go on the lower triples. Just above your front fender.

That takes care of the front.

For the rear you just run the hook end of your strap to your rear sets and cinch them down to the bed of your truck.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement