MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Want to lift my truck!

2001 Ford F-150 4X4
Thinking of going with 6" suspension lift. Rancho, Fabtech or Pro-Comp
New gears. New wheels.
This is the first truck I've ever lifted.
Not too worried about the terrible gas mileage it will get, I really dont drive it that much. Just a play truck and grocery getter.
Any suggestions?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to buy a truck / truck questions v.12313 mekrew Off Topic 71 05-07-2013 09:32 PM
truck lift pester Off Topic 5 11-29-2010 09:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Take it to four wheel parts ! They can do everything and you can wheel&deal with them .
ANTISOCIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

FourWheelParts USED to be the place to go... not so much anymore. High prices and shoddy work.

TexasTrucksUnlimited in Pearland has always treated me right, and the quality of their work is great! Its a smallish shop but has ALL the tools needed to do complete custom fab jobs... you name it, they can do it...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

BTW... TexasTrucksUnlimited is not the cheapest place you'll find (nor the most expensive)...

Personally, I'll pay a little extra for peace of mind knowing the job was done correctly!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Well i have my opinion & you have yours. I have never had any issues with
4wheelparts . So there you got served somethin fierce
ANTISOCIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Thanks for the info so far, what sorta time frame am I looking at to get the work done?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
JRxGRUBZx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

spend the money on the bike!
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
jph1486

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

texas truck works in magnolia or ynot do it urself?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Drop-axle lifts do very little for real world off-road performance for an IFS front suspension. The only thing they'll do is make the truck more top-heavy, with basicly the same amount of travel, and sometimes less articulation, and sometimes even less clearance at the axle than stock. Consider instead a realistic suspension lift that improves your truck's off-road performance. For an IFS, I would consider long travel upper and lower control arms, and an adjustable coilover front shock. Then in the rear, replace the springs with Deaver Springs http://www.deaverspring.com/ , Alcans Springs http://www.alcanspring.com/ , or something equal. Lift blocks, body lifts (when used as your only lift), and in many a wheelers' opinions... drop-axle lifts are all ghey.

If you take it to a shop, especially like 4WPW, you'll pay up the wazoo for the work. The same can be said for most any other specialized shops. If your gonna spend the money for a drop-axle lift (Fabtech/ProComp/Etc.), you'll be alot happier if you just did a solid axle swap, but I don't know too much about Fords, and what costs are involved in that. Most Wheelers will agree that these drop axle lifts do nothing more than add bling, and not much for performance. Those who started off with these, without knowing any better, regret their decision, and wish they had gone SAS instead.

If you really want to save money, and build up a great rig, I would first suggest you join a local 4x4 club. A great club is TX4WD. Here's a link to the local chapter http://houston.tx4wd.org/

I'm with them, but I'm more active with TTORA www.TTORA.com , but it's specifically for Toyota owners (Toyota Territory Off-Roaders Association). The great thing about joining these clubs, even if you're just stock at first, is the breadth of knowledge the members will share with you. An even better advantage is that they are all willing to help, and many times help, you build up your rig through what we call "WATS", which are "Wrench-A-Thons". Join the club, learn alot, then post up for help with a WAT, and you may be surprised who comes to help you install your lift! Many times (at least with TTORA), we'll get 10-20 guys helping each other work on their trucks!! The good thing about all this is that now you can spend your money on the parts, and not waste it on labor at these shops. It's really not all that hard to lift a truck, provided your with guys who actually know about wheelin'.

Good luck!

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 04-07-2008 at 01:16 AM.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Here's a quote from Clint Duncan, the President of the Houston Chapter TX4WD. I added it here, because it kinda gives you an idea of the kind of club we are, and that we're open to all people who really want to wheel instead of pose. And wheelin' is alot of fun if you know what your doing, and how your rig works. You may like what he says about cost and labor, too!

Technical Experience:
I have worked in several hi-performance and off-road shops here in town and even thought its a great place to work, the pay isn't so great. Several friends and members 4x4s and cars have been in my garage more than once. I get the most satisfaction from helping out others. The list of suspension kits and body lifts I have personally done is extensive and now with the help of my V.P. Dave Gutwillig I will be learning how to fabricate. I was like the rest of you guys and quickly learned how to do my own maintained and my own installs on pretty much anything I buy. I figured that the more you install the cheaper it is and allows for more parts to be bought. Consider this, If a suspension kit costs 500 and the install is 350 wouldn't you rather save yourself the 350 and maybe buy new seats or a top or tires?? Let's just put it this way this stuff isn't rocket science if you can change your oil and you can read then you can install a lift kit. The right tools go a long way and help tremendously with the install. My basic motto is "learn to drive it then modify it as you see fit, and try not to buy a part that you will not need in the future or that you will change." Its no secret that jeeps or any 4x4 for that matter are built not bought. I have seen the biggest baddest 4x4s and the owner simply can't drive it because he is either scared or unaware what it will do and act. I have nothing against the person that takes a new vehicle and modifies it but then when they drive it off-road there is a BIG learning curve.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

I just re-read my first post, and noticed I said "drop-axle". I musta been having a brain fart, and meant to say "Drop Bracket". Fabtechs and ProComps are Drop-Bracket lifts.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Shop around for the lift you like the best and at the best price, then bring it to the house and we'll put it on. If you have all the parts it is an easy days work.

All you'll need to do afterwards is get an alignment, we can get it close.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Shop around for the lift you like the best and at the best price, then bring it to the house and we'll put it on. If you have all the parts it is an easy days work.

All you'll need to do afterwards is get an alignment, we can get it close.
Say when and, if I'm free, I'd be willing to help for some beer and pizza

Advertisement