MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

When do you know you should replace your chain?

I'm going to Patrick tomorrow, if all goes to plan, to help me out with some maintenance things. I was just curious to know when someone would know that its time to replace the chain?

My noob assumption tells me once the little adjusters for the rear tire are screwed all the way to the back and don't allow the chain to tension any more, that the chain has stretched enough before it starts becoming weak.

Of course thats only an assumption. How would someone know?
Tire alignment/chain adjustment (short-ish chain?) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-14-2014 03:55 PM
Looking To Replace My RX8 Infinite Car Forum 10 02-13-2012 12:17 PM
Tire and chain replace fair price help 2KBUSA General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-04-2010 05:44 PM
When should I replace my chain? houstonaggie23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-17-2010 09:10 PM
Replace chain yamaguchi How To's and Q & A's 4 08-15-2006 03:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
look at your sprockets....rounded off? Pointy? Time to replace both sprockets and Chain.

When the bike is on a rear stand, does the chain tighten in some spots, but loose in other areas? Time to replace.

Hope that helps.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
mattj1094

Feedback Rating: (1)

Ok coming from my back ground in Industrial Maintenance i can help you with this one. Ill give you the same information i give my crews.

All chain drives should receive regular maintenance. Each drive should be inspected after the initial 100 hours of operation. Thereafter, most drives may be inspected at 500 hour intervals. However, drives subjected to shock loads or severe operating conditions should be inspected at 200 hour intervals.
At each inspection, the following items should be checked and corrected, if necessary.
1. Check lubrication -
On slow speed drives, where manual lubrication is used, be sure the lubrication schedule is being followed. If the chain is covered with dirt and debris, clean the chain with kerosene and relubricate it.
WARNING! NEVER USE GASOLINE OR OTHER FLAMMABLE SOLVENTS TO CLEAN A CHAIN. A FIRE MAY RESULT.
If drip lubrication is used, check for adequate oil flow and proper application to the chain. With bath or pump lubrication, check oil level and add oil if needed. Check oil for contamination and change oil if needed. Change oil after the first 100 hours of operation and each 500 hours thereafter. If pump lubrication is used, check each orifice to be sure it is clear and is directing oil onto the chain properly.
2. Check Chain Tension -
Check chain tension and adjust as needed to maintain the proper sag in the slack span. If elongation exceeds the available adjustment, remove two pitches and reconnect the chain.
3. Check Chain Wear -
Measure the chain wear elongation and if elongation exceeds functional limits or is greater than 3% (.36 inches in one foot) replace the entire chain. Do not connect a new section of chain to a worn chain because it may run rough and damage the drive. Do not continue to run a chain worn beyond 3% elongation because the chain will not engage the sprockets properly and it may damage the sprockets.

4. Check Sprocket Tooth Wear -
Check for roughness or binding when the chain engages or disengages from the sprocket. Inspect the sprocket teeth for reduced tooth section and hooked tooth tips. If these conditions are present, the sprocket teeth are excessively worn and the sprocket should be replaced. Do not run new chain on worn sprockets as it will cause the new chain to wear rapidly. Conversely, do not run a worn chain on new sprockets as it will cause the new sprockets to wear rapidly.
5. Check Sprocket Alignment -
If there is noticeable wear on the inside surface of the chain roller linkplates, the sprockets may be misaligned. Realign the sprockets as outlined in the installation instructions to prevent further abnormal chain and sprocket wear.
6. Check for Drive Interference -
Check for interference between the drive and other parts of the equipment. If there is any, correct it immediately. Interference can cause abnormal and potentially destructive wear on the chain or the interfering part. If the edges of the chain linkplates impact against a rigid part, linkplate fatigue and chain failure can result.
Check for and eliminate any buildup of debris or foreign material between the chain and sprockets.
A RELATIVELY SMALL AMOUNT OF DEBRIS IN THE SPROCKET ROLL SEAT CAN CAUSE TENSILE LOADS GREAT ENOUGH TO BREAK THE CHAIN IF FORCED THROUGH THE DRIVE.
7. Check for Failure -
Inspect the chain for cracked, broken or deformed parts. If any of these conditions are found, REPLACE THE ENTIRE CHAIN, even though portions of the chain appear to be in good condition. In all likelihood, the entire chain has been damaged.
mattj1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
D-Mo

Bike(s):
'06 FZ6

I just cleaned and lubed my chain this afternoon. I just started using kerosene instead of just chain lube, and couldn't help but notice the chain kept getting dirty (I'm guessing from the sprockets) and was wondering if I should clean them too. There isn't any debris, just a sticky layer of black film, almost like a tar from the old lube, and I have no idea what the front sprocket looks like. Just wondering what the general consensus is on this, I don't realy care what it looks like, and black matches the wheel so its not like it stands out or anything... but if this could be a problem the fix is a bit of work but not something I wouldn't want to do myself, just need to know since I've never even seen the front sprocket on my bike before.
D-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadHasib View Post
I'm going to Patrick tomorrow, if all goes to plan, to help me out with some maintenance things.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #6
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj1094 View Post
Thereafter, most drives may be inspected at 500 hour intervals. However, drives subjected to shock loads or severe operating conditions should be inspected at 200 hour intervals.
If my math serves me correctly at a 50mph avg. 500 hours equates to 25,000 miles. A bit long fo a MC chain. Even at the 200 hour interval it's still 10,000 miles.

Two different service manuals I have (one factory and one Haynes) for different bikes using same type of chain have different schedules: First one says inspect after initial 600 mi and every 4,000 thereafter, lube every 600. The other says inspect and lube every 500 mi. One seems long and the other short to me. I check about every 1,000 miles.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

FWIW, I clean and lube my chain every 300 miles...wether on the track or on the street.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #8
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

when they break off then replace, lol but seriously after they tighten it up or if ou tighten it uop and there still loose then i would recommend changing them then, i know theres a milage range but not sure when exactly it should depend on how hard you twist the throttle, the harder you twist the more strain you out on the chain
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
robbskittles

Send a message via Yahoo to robbskittles
how many miles can a reg chain give?
robbskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
how many miles can a reg chain give?
DEPENDS ON THE MAINTENANCE....lubrication, cleaning, chain tension, etc.

DEPENDS on the riding style....your average chain lasts 10-15k....if not more if taken care of properly.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I've gotten 18,000 out of one. But it usually isn't the chain that goes...it is the sprockets that show the most wear. If they get pointy or bent then it is time to replace them.

Advertisement