MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Jody is the rain man. On equal bikes he lapped me at Hallett in the rain.
-Gabe
YEAH, BUT UR STILL MY HERO GABE
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK YOU FUGGERS, WHOO DID IT???? HoustonGixxer Forum Updates & Feedback 43 10-08-2008 08:38 PM
so....insurance....how much do you fuggers pay? flip326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 03-20-2007 08:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
J lo
I am who U say I am

Feedback Rating: (0)

rain

The rain is not bad. I know cats like Jody that make it look like the track was dry. I have raced a few times in the rain. The first time, I was freaking out prior to getting on the bike but when it was all said and done, I had a freaking blast.
The best rain day was a few years ago running minis in Denton. Talking strategies, we were like "F" this, we are leading in points and we are far enough up to give up some laps. So, it starts to rain and Tim signals that he is going to come in. That lap, I think 8 bikes flew off and disappeared. I just knew he was going to throw it on the ground in the same spot the others had just lost it. He didn’t. It finally came down to it and I had to go back out and run some laps on that wet, slick track. We continued to switch riders and run, off and on, in the rain the entire race. it was awesome. Kicker was, slicks were all we had. Rain tires…. Bah humbug. Who needs rain tires? I am not positive, but I don’t think that they even allowed them mini racing. I think if you use them, you get made fun of.

-Jerrel
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #23
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by J lo View Post
The rain is not bad. I know cats like Jody that make it look like the track was dry. I have raced a few times in the rain. The first time, I was freaking out prior to getting on the bike but when it was all said and done, I had a freaking blast.
The best rain day was a few years ago running minis in Denton. Talking strategies, we were like "F" this, we are leading in points and we are far enough up to give up some laps. So, it starts to rain and Tim signals that he is going to come in. That lap, I think 8 bikes flew off and disappeared. I just knew he was going to throw it on the ground in the same spot the others had just lost it. He didn’t. It finally came down to it and I had to go back out and run some laps on that wet, slick track. We continued to switch riders and run, off and on, in the rain the entire race. it was awesome. Kicker was, slicks were all we had. Rain tires…. Bah humbug. Who needs rain tires? I am not positive, but I don’t think that they even allowed them mini racing. I think if you use them, you get made fun of.

-Jerrel
I concur, the most fun I had in the rain was in Denton last year, doing the night race. It was sure hard to see, with the glare of the lights on teh wet track, but it was fun!!!! I lapped the whole field several times that session.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:

-Jerrel
werd...it was a race...and you were running mini's. I'm not so "okay" with a trackday event in the rain where 8 bikes "fly off & dissappear". I'm sure you get my drift.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #25
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
ABSO-FUGGIN-LUTELY!!!!!!!!! Even if the cost of TD's goes up a bit....I'm happy! You and like 2 others in this world enjoy riding in the rain. I can state a FACT that the MAJORITY of TD participants enjoy dry track riding
+1
Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
PB125

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

+1 and then some. Generally, I spend x2 for things like this because my wife likes to do things with me. This means about $400.00 + for TD, food, gas and whatever else comes my way for that day. So, having said that, I want a DRY track to ride on. Sure, practice in the rain is always good but, be real. The bike I'm riding is my only bike so, why up the risk and ride on a rainy track only to possibly trash it. F-That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Riding in the rain sucks! To me its like swimming in the sand, or flying on the ground. It just doesn't work for me.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #28
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:

-Jerrel

Jerrel,

I'm running slicks aswell on the mini this year (17s), if it ever happens again. Find/borrow a heat gun from someone (2-3 people almost always happen), and just make your own thread out of the tires, its better then being on slicks anydays while raining.

Try it with minis - its awesome, now doing that in a CMRA race racing in SuperStock - err I don't think that'll pass tech.

The only concern I would have is, if the slicks are brand new, then you just wasted them.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #29
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Are you all happy now? I've never heard or seen soo many Track Days being canceled...

Thanks to "some" whiners and biyatches, now its a norm. Every other organization is canceling track days due to weather. Just this year alone - TexasTrackDays, Ride Smart & LSTD have all already canceled 1 or more track days off their schedule.

Thanks alot guys for whining, its sucks coz no more rain riding... Nor can people now develop skills riding in bad weather

On the other hand - Mucho Props to all the "public" track day organizations for manning up and listening to their Customers!

Now i'm hoping this does not become a habit - and we have atleast some rainy days!

To the fuggers that always whine - ya happy now?
Not sure about this one Moe. Us "non-public" guys started with a fair rain policy and it would seem the other "publics" have followed suit. Pre '08 riders were SOL on rain days and as you can see by the feed back here not many folks would rather go back to the old ways. I would also think that as a Ride Smart instructor you'd be happy to see it as Ride Smart seems to take the most for putting folks on the track in very adverse conditions.
99.8% ride trackdays for fun. The added risk in wet conditions is substantial and the learning curve much sharper. If you are not racing, there is little point to riding in the wet. Next trackday look at the racer to regular Joe ratio and then pull you head out. So who's really whining here, and why? You'll always have Oakhill.......enjoy it.

And for cutting your own rains from slicks.........no you can't do it in SStock as you are to be on DOT's, rain, or intermediates depending on race directions call for a wet race. In Superbike, abso-freakin-lutely you can run cut slicks, tricky to keep the tire balanced though.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...

Last edited by Buck Beasley; 04-03-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #30
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Not sure about this one Moe. Us "non-public" guys started with a fair rain policy and it would seem the other "publics" have followed suit. Pre '08 riders were SOL on rain days and as you can see by the feed back here not many folks would rather go back to the old ways. I would also think that as a Ride Smart instructor you'd be happy to see it as Ride Smart seems to take the most for putting folks on the track in very adverse conditions.
99.8% ride trackdays for fun. The added risk in wet conditions is substantial and the learning curve much sharper. If you are not racing, there is little point to riding in the wet. Next trackday look at the racer to regular Joe ratio and then pull you head out. So who's really whining here, and why? You'll always have Oakhill.......enjoy it.

And for cutting your own rains from slicks.........no you can't do it in SStock as you are to be on DOT's, rain, or intermediates depending on race directions call for a wet race. In Superbike, abso-freakin-lutely you can run cut slicks, tricky to keep the tire balanced though.
Buck,

1) You "non-public" guys can do what ever you like (more power to you). It was not you guys that made the other orgz. (Ride Smart/LSTD/TTD) follow with that policy, but rather the customers.

Enough posts had been made, enough time instructors from Ride Smart/LSTD had gotten into it and then forwarded it to management (concerns of customers).

It finally happened, that's why props to the "public guys".

2) As an instructor or rider - its in my best interests to see riders come ride at the track (rain or shine). Once they pay for it, they should come prepared. How many times have we had rain days where 20 riders still rode, coz they came prepared with stuff like rain tires, rain coats, different bike, different attitude.

Does it cost extra money and time? Sure - that's why there out there enjoying and learning. They came planned. The rest 100 or so others did not, or were too stubborn to do so.

IF THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT THE EXTRA MONEY OR TIME that it takes to do all that then, they are in the wrong hobby. That's all i gotsa ta say for em.

3) As far as cutting slicks go - if you read my post, it was directed towards Jerrel as an idea in MINI RACING.

In TMGP its all fair, CMRA - that's illegal. I've never done it in CMRA and personally speaking don't intend to.

4) Props to you for keeping the rain policy early (2007), sure it got you more loyal customers and more riders out there but then again its 25-30 (LMS) riders VS 75-100 riders (Ride Smart/LSTD/TTD). but that's a different thread.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #31
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
To be prepared for a rain day means rain tires, which are good for one day tops. Most guys I know would rather do antoher two trackdays with that dough. Riding in the rain does nothing more than invite disaster. FWIW.....you are welcome to ride as my guest any rainy day you like at MSRH, just give me a call.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #32
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Moe, make sure you let everyone know you speak for Ride Smart and not any other org.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #33
J lo
I am who U say I am

Ya, we really kicked around cutting the tires. There may have been a time or two that we actually busted out the tools, but you know how it goes. It is tough to justify cutting them tires when you remember that those tires are "suppose" to last the remainder of the season. And, for the most part, two sets of tires can cost as much as the bike. Sooooo we roll the dice and take the chance. The only problem with that is that crashing hurts and stuff.
Ya ya ya... here we go. If you add the cost of leathers, helmet, boots and other gear that could get busted up and other riders on the track... bla bla bla, I think bikes that went down in the race line just became part of the track and duct tape was used to repair your leathers and boots.

The cool thing about the mini stuff is that rain or shine, wet or dry, oil, dirt, rubbin, bumpin, pushin, and crashin is all part of the race. It is a different type of racing and a different attitude as well. That's why I am glad during our last riding lesson, Jody taught me to use other bikes on the track as burms and ramps.

I AGREE…. Track days are not race days!!!! I will even repeat that for good measure… TRACK DAYS ARE NOT RACE DAYS!!!! Sorry for bringing a race day into a track day thread. I was just making a general comment about RAIN.

I completely agree. Track days should, utilizing every means possible, provide a rider with the most ideal and safe situation. I agree that RAIN is not the premier environment in which he/she will have the opportunity to improve his/her riding capabilities. ACTUALLY, that may be an incorrect statement.

Buck, I am going to use something you said to bring up a point about track days. (Disclaimer: this is not in any way directed toward BUCK, if anyone, he knows exactly what I am saying) I would venture to say that there is an overabundance of crashes, stuffs, and personal championships won and lost by guys in “Advanced” and “intermediate” groups during track days. How is it that, simply by the numbers, more time is eaten off of the overall track day clock because of rider errors causing get-offs, red flag situations, and hospital transports than any other group? Can anyone think of a time when someone was transported to the hospital during a rainy track day? I doubt that it has ever happened. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. When it’s raining and people choose to ride, they ride within their limits. I would venture to say that the true “invitation to disaster” is to a “Advanced” or “Intermediate” group rider when the sun is out, the track is hot, and testosterone is pumping through riders like a runaway freight train.

CHOO CHOO BABY CHOO CHOO
Old 04-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #34
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
To be prepared for a rain day means rain tires, which are good for one day tops. Most guys I know would rather do antoher two trackdays with that dough. Riding in the rain does nothing more than invite disaster. FWIW.....you are welcome to ride as my guest any rainy day you like at MSRH, just give me a call.
I really don't want invite drama, but I PRESUME most folks enjoy riding in dry track weather....not wet. End of thread....Please don't call me a fugger when it comes to riding in the rain vs. shine. I ENJOY riding my INVESTMENT (that being my trackbike that I use for trackdays, not races)

I'm not willing to invest $300 into rain tires. I'd rather use that money for future trackdays (almost 2 of 'em)....Moe, I think you're on your own here....I'm still waiting for someone that runs a TD to tell to me they make more off folks who race vs. AVID street riders. ESPECIALLY when were talking 75+ riders..... YOU gotta be sh*ttin me
Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #35
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Chiit, I think we should cancel trackdays if the weather is gonna be good!

That way, we can practice being smooth, burn up a set of expensive rains in one day, be nervous about crashing, not enjoy ourselves, etc...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #36
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post

That way, we can practice being smooth, burn up a set of expensive rains in one day, be nervous about crashing, not enjoy ourselves, etc...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #37
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Moe, make sure you let everyone know you speak for Ride Smart and not any other org.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 AM   #38
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Dih-toe!

IMPORTANT UPDATE! Any/all track day organization's rain-outs will automatically be taken over by Ride Smart!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #39
Scotsman

It is my understanding that the TTD event at TWS (Texas World Speedway) was NOT cancelled due to rain, but rather a family emergency of one of the organizers.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #40
J lo
I am who U say I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
That is what you come up with after reading my post?

I guess what I was saying was buried under to many words.

Let me scrape off the mud, ya know that stuff that is created when you mix dirt with a little bit o’ rain.

I (me and only me) do not “mind” RACING in the rain.

I DO NOT HAVE RAIN TIRES…. or at some point, I would have said something like “When it began to rain, we put RAINS on the bike!”

Rain sucks for TRACKDAYS, although fun, I would prefer a dry track. By the way, the pitiful separation of “you’re on a mini” is sad. Yes, your 750 or 1000cc superbike is fast. Problem is most people here couldn’t hang with a 125 on any track but TWS (Texas World Speedway).

I never show up to a track day with rains. , Right now I am looking for the next set of take offs I can get my hands onto. SOooooo as this time I would like to thank all of you, my sponsors, for taking tires off of your bike a little early so that I can finish them off for good. (SIDEBAR I need tires for my 600 - does anyone have for cheap, aka as close to free as possible, a set of slicks and/or rains for sale)

THIS IS A FACT: More Advanced and Intermediate riders crash than NOVICE riders. One would think that they would not be the case. Every single time you or I take our bikes out onto the track we are aware of the inherent risk associated with doing such. I am just saying that good weather allows for people to ride way over their head, PEOPLE WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER. In the rain, we all ride with a certain sense of caution.

Other than that, I could care less if you enjoyed yourself, if you were nervous about crashing, if you spent money on tires, or if you were smooth.
Closed Thread

Advertisement