Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: :::: DAILY COMMUTERS ANSWER ONLY, ANSWER BOTH ::::
#1 I filter frequently in heavy traffic (WHEN ITS STOPPED) 45 54.88%
#1 I never filter 32 39.02%
#2 I have been pulled over for filtering and it wasn't good! 1 1.22%
#2 No LEO's i know care, and i never get pulled over despite daily doing it. 27 32.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #61
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

make sure you guys email Gary Elkins office type in ZIP CODE 77065 and it will give you his contact information, then contact your own state rep and advise him that Gary Elkins office is researching it.

I recieved an email back from Gary Elkins office and they stated are still researching and I guess planning on submitting??? BUT THIS WON"T MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITHOUT SOME GRASSROOTS movement. We need to show overwhelming support! Do a search and type in Gary Elkins and you should see another post i gave with a general letter (needs some editing, it was a rough draft), to send to your state rep highlight advantages of lane sharing/filtering (don't call it splitting, has negative connotation)....

PLEASE don't just be a forum trooler. make a difference for motorcylists everywhere, takes a minutes and will be a HUGE step for motorcycle rights in the states. If it passes in texas, other states will follow. We need a precedent. After all its better for bikers and SAFER! (not to mention more people will start commuting to save much time!)
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Cement truck wreck gulf frwy,prompts massive lane splitting/filtering demonstratin urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-29-2016 06:23 PM
Lane filtering is safer pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 10-11-2013 07:46 AM
Lane Filtering Question haleyscomet Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 5 02-18-2013 11:52 AM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #62
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Please post up what you have done here

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=13

seems like those folks are trying to get this passed as well
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #63
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Texas Rider magazine (who publishes info on other states too) repeatedly prints that Texas has no law restricting or providing for filtering. This tells me that for now, it's subjective enforcement of reckless driving that could be invoked by an officer if he felt like it.

Seems like the non-ratified law is trying to determine what does NOT constitute reckless lane filtering. It would be nice to have a definition.

But as far as cagers go, I would say that since that regardless of a law or not, endangering a motorcycle by aggressively blocking travel, or trying to scare a motorcyclist would be construed as reckless endangerment, and attempted vehicular manslaughter. This would render a violent response from me.

So maybe it's better to make it so I'm not in that situation. I'm thinking lane splitting here (and considering the driving pool talent) might be a bad idea for the most part. And some of the roads seem too narrow for me to fit my FZ1 through two lanes of traffic...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #64
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

thats how it is in CA, it's not illegal, but not legal either. officers look the other way.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #65
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Actually CHP has on their website that lane filtering is permitted if done in a reasonable and safe manner. Its not that they look they other way, its that its only a problem if done in a reckless & unsafe manner (ie, its should be done under 35 mph normally)...

Its about the rights of motorcylists, not whether or not you want to split. I know that in many parts of my commute and others then low speeds and ability to split would save tremendous time. Actually yesterday i got caught at the i10 detour and would have been in traffic for over 40-60 mins, but it took me just a few minutes riding between traffic. I actually was suprised at how safe it felt, when i was going at a controllable 10 mph faster than people, and amazing easy....

AGAIN, just like most say helmet laws or seatbelt laws shouldn't be mandatory (don't start a debate please), it should be left up to the individual to choose... SAME THING, we should have the right to choose to split without legal ramifications and breeching the law. MOST foreign countries its the norm and expected, so lets have the same freedom that commuters have overseas.... They use bikes as a mode of transportation rather than luxury, and its vice versa statistically in the states, hence the problem with peoples mentalities.....

Last edited by specterunseen; 04-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement