Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
1st timer = noob
Feedback Rating: (2)

lookin for my ride still

Asian import bike vs American made bike for beginners

I am about to get my first bike, however, since im fairly new to riding, I have no idea which bike to get. I will be taking the MSF course in May after school gets out. My experience in riding a bike, has been primarily over seas in Asia (Every summer since 2005), even before I took the MSF course. I have found that over in asia, the bikes are considerably smaller, and thus have less power (making it very simple to learn to ride).

Starting next fall however, I will be attending school over in San Antonio, and will need transportation. I plan on getting a bike (ONLY 250cc), that is reliable and can get me from school, home, and work, and the occasional joy ride. I will be attending school there for the next 4 yrs (so hopefully the bike will last me that WHOLE time). From school to the place I will be staying at is about 25 miles.

I have been shopping (going to the stealership and sitting on the bikes = getting a feel for the bikes) and scoping out my tastes in bikes, I have found that sportsbikes are the ones for me (nothing over 250cc). Obviously I will be getting this bike used so it will be cheaper for me, and I wont have to worry about dropping a brand new bike.

I have a couple of questions though:
1)Which bike will I recieve the most "bang for the buck," an Asian import bike(ie kawasaki, honda, etc) or an American made bike (ie, buell blast, etc) and be able to last me all 4 years of schooling?
2) How much will this recommended bike cost me? what features does this bike have that the others do not?
2) Has anyone ridden in San Antonio? is it safer then houston, and what can I expect (ie. more hills, traffic, etc)?

(yes and my budget not quite that high since im a college student)
booo-iii_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike import from Japan? Stevieboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-07-2014 12:20 PM
What is the best bike EVER made? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 01-05-2012 01:04 AM
What made you get a bike? tonyt915 Off Topic 41 10-16-2008 02:37 PM
What is a Good Beginners Bike DRR2326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 106 11-02-2007 03:40 PM
Mean Streets: Domestic, Import, and Bike Show 8/11/07 MSR Houston SexualChocolate Events, Meets and Rides 11 07-09-2007 05:01 PM
Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Just so you know...
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Pick you up a 2007 Ninja 250 for a song. No one wants their now the 2008 models are out. Reliable, light-weight, fun and fairly cheap. $2000 or less.

OOOhhhh and PS - SIGN UP IMMEDIATLY if not sooner for Motorcycles Unlimited's Basic Maintenance Class.
Deal with it...
Meaner-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Feedback Rating: (0)

San Antonio has more hills than Houston so consider where your feet are going to go when you stop. Make sure the bike is leaning in a safe direction on the kickstand. If it's leaning too far left on the kickstand it will dig right into soft, hot asphalt. Too far right and it could blow over in strong winds. Safety is really no different than Houston, there are bad areas to avoid so ask around before signing a lease. I moved away 10 years ago so i have no current information.

Some people like the Blast & they are priced right second hand but I would avoid them just because you would have to have them serviced at a HD dealer. Their priority is going to be the couple that just spent $45,000 on matching his & hers Road Kings. Not a college student with a used Buell.

If the bike is going to be your only transportation I'd consider getting a car. Hauling books, lab material, groceries & household items in your backpack would get old real quick. Or get a girlfriend with a car.

Here's a great site with lots of advice. These are one persons opinions so don't take then as gospel

Last edited by TX_Blue1; 04-01-2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Added link
TX_Blue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
1st timer = noob
Feedback Rating: (2)

lookin for my ride still

Thanks guys, for the information. It is making me seriously think of what im doing (since this is the biggest purchase I have EVER made in my life )

I do, have friends and family that I can rely on over there in San Antonio for rides (incase it rains and I cant ride the bike, so I do have alternate modes of transportation if I wanted).

I have done some massive searches and im guessing the most reliable type of bike for a college student's budget, would have to be an Asian import (most likely a 2000-2007 kawasaki ninja 250).
1)About how long is the life on this bike? (again I will be using it to move me from school, work, home, and occasional joy rides)

2)Is there any problems specifically with that type of bike I need to look out for?

I will be attending the University of the Incarnate word. So those of you that know the area around there, are the places on campus and around campus safe for me to park my bike at night or during school? (say if i was to live in a dorm on campus, or off campus in a closer apartment)
booo-iii_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Becoming a regular here
Feedback Rating: (0)

i have 06 ninja 250, no problem so far
R1CHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
09 r1!
Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i got a 06 ninja 636 (bigger then what you looking for) but ive put well over 23,000 miles on it and it still is running like a champ, just make sure to keep the oil changed and filter cleaned and chain lubed and it will last ya!
We as riders know the risks we take everytime we put that kickstand up and twist the throttle.
Gryphin is offline   Reply With Quote