Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #121
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I got to work just fine.I too am in the petro indusrty with a G.E.D. and the pay in the inspection industry just keeps going up. I work 4/10 with a little O.T when I want some. Its a 6 figure job. I say get a new yob. My dad got out of trucking due to the hours/pay. He drove for 20+ years. The whole "only thing I know" is ."You got the number to that truck driving school"Top Gun...Wrong school these days.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W NewRider's mid-week morning ride. WEDNESDAY 07/20/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 34 07-20-2011 08:05 AM
Truckers POV Hotwheelscamaro Off Topic 31 09-09-2010 08:03 PM
JAN 13 Wednesday, OTR Cigar Night JustNick Events, Meets and Rides 14 01-14-2010 01:27 PM
Motorcycles Unlimited Thanksgiving Week WEDNESDAY SALE and Hours!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 0 11-25-2009 11:26 AM
WEDNESDAY NIGHT 6/3/09 OTR - Cigar Night JustNick Events, Meets and Rides 9 06-04-2009 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #122
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

lotta people making big $ in this thread.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #123
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
lotta people making big $ in this thread.
:/: Kinda what I was thinking, I thought I was doing pretty well for myself, now I'm getting depressed. lol
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #124
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Not to offend the truck drivers out there, but driving is what many would consider an unskilled labor task and I would expect it's pay to be low. How much mental power does it take a person to drive a vehicle when compared to other jobs that require knowledge and skill? I am not talking about jobs that require degrees or anything just a job with a simple trade. Those require a lot more effort from a mental standpoint. People pay top dollar for people that use their minds and hone good craftsmanship. Before you get all off at me for saying all of this, remember, I have a father in-law that owns his own trucking business and several trucks. Truck driving jobs are going to end up just like the construction jobs of yester-year and the farming jobs. When you work in the unskilled labor field, remember that if you don't like the job or the pay, someone else will be ready to come in and assume your role for the same amount of money. It is just the way of the world.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #125
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Uh, so what happened to the supposed strike?
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #126
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

8%+ inflation...

....3.5% pay increase.

Training? WE can't train because we're too busy...why are we too busy, because we're shorthanded. Why are we shorthanded, because some genius thinks we can 'work smarter' and refuses to accept we're overworked and burning out and refuses to replace the people we've lost already.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #127
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #128
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #129
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
8%+ inflation...

....3.5% pay increase.

Training? WE can't train because we're too busy...why are we too busy, because we're shorthanded. Why are we shorthanded, because some genius thinks we can 'work smarter' and refuses to accept we're overworked and burning out and refuses to replace the people we've lost already.
you a driver too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Ninja View Post
You ever pulled a 60' float with 80,lbs on it? 13.5 feet high and top heavy across the passes in Col? STFU DUDE. Know you roll you Gaborone! Unskilled is sitting at walmart as a clerk or burning fries. Try to run that same pass in December when its snowing and you can see 10 feet. Try to stop that big when some kid in a civic cuts you off and hits his breaks cause hes out of room. That was one of the DUMEST POST YOU HAVE YET TO MAKE.
+1 my job aint easy, takes alot of math and very well learned skill
Old 04-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #130
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Not to offend the truck drivers out there, but driving is what many would consider an unskilled labor task and I would expect it's pay to be low. How much mental power does it take a person to drive a vehicle when compared to other jobs that require knowledge and skill? I am not talking about jobs that require degrees or anything just a job with a simple trade. Those require a lot more effort from a mental standpoint. People pay top dollar for people that use their minds and hone good craftsmanship. Before you get all off at me for saying all of this, remember, I have a father in-law that owns his own trucking business and several trucks. Truck driving jobs are going to end up just like the construction jobs of yester-year and the farming jobs. When you work in the unskilled labor field, remember that if you don't like the job or the pay, someone else will be ready to come in and assume your role for the same amount of money. It is just the way of the world.
+1.......most who drive trucks are NOT doing it for the money, it's just a starting point for many.
And I drove trucks for 15 years, OTR and local.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #131
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #132
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
+1.......most who drive trucks are NOT doing it for the money, it's just a starting point for many.
And I drove trucks for 15 years, OTR and local.

agreed...for most it is a chance to start a new career at a reasonable cost to enter into.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #133
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Ninja View Post
SO you drove and feel Joe Blow can do it? You too are twinkies.
The problem has always been getting good quality drivers..........if you have been doing it for any length of time you should know the difference.
There are people that can drive a truck and there are truck drivers, there are a ton of the first and few of the second.........and GOOD truck drivers always have a job and can make good money.......but it still won't change the fact it is unskilled labor.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #134
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
....but it still won't change the fact it is unskilled labor.
See, Street Ninja even an ex truck driver agrees as well as the US Department of Labor. My intent wasn't to offend the truck drivers out there it was just to make a point about the wages. Don't expect them to change, the labor force will change before that happens. With all of the Mexican Nationals allowed to drive trucks in the US, I expect a dying career for the current Americans in the trucking industry.

The reason why it is considered unskilled labor is cause in a relativly short amount of time, almost anyone could do it. And when you do it, how do you get appreciation in the form of getting a job done? There is nothing to show for your work other than showing up with your load in tack. No one on the receiving end is going to appreciate the fact that you had to drive through snow covered mountain passes, reroute due to weather, or had to avoid all of the idiots driving in town. They just want their stuff. They may say thanks if you're lucky but they will never say "You did a good job in getting my stuff in here. I'm going to recommend you to my friends." It's no different than the postal workers, walmart greeters, fry cooks, floor sweepers, assembly line workers etc they don't get that appreciation either.

With other jobs like a welder, carpenter, brick layer, plumber etc, you have something to show and be proud of. You can pass by years later and tell your kids, "See that over there, I built that".

Is my point sinking in? You may not like it but it is the truth in how society views it. It isn't just me. If you can't see that then you are far worse off mentally than I thought.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #135
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
See, Street Ninja even an ex truck driver agrees as well as the US Department of Labor. My intent wasn't to offend the truck drivers out there it was just to make a point about the wages. Don't expect them to change, the labor force will change before that happens. With all of the Mexican Nationals allowed to drive trucks in the US, I expect a dying career for the current Americans in the trucking industry.

The reason why it is considered unskilled labor is cause in a relativly short amount of time, almost anyone could do it. And when you do it, how do you get appreciation in the form of getting a job done? There is nothing to show for your work other than showing up with your load in tack. No one on the receiving end is going to appreciate the fact that you had to drive through snow covered mountain passes, reroute due to weather, or had to avoid all of the idiots driving in town. They just want their stuff. They may say thanks if you're lucky but they will never say "You did a good job in getting my stuff in here. I'm going to recommend you to my friends." It's no different than the postal workers, walmart greeters, fry cooks, floor sweepers, assembly line workers etc they don't get that appreciation either.

With other jobs like a welder, carpenter, brick layer, plumber etc, you have something to show and be proud of. You can pass by years later and tell your kids, "See that over there, I built that".

Is my point sinking in? You may not like it but it is the truth in how society views it. It isn't just me. If you can't see that then you are far worse off mentally than I thought.

you can tell out on the road who is the professional and who isn't. The pro has their loads strapped down properly, tread on their tires and a truck that is clean and in one price.... not the raggedy that hasn't been washed in 2 years. The guys that step out of their truck and the green funk cloud that follows them give truckers a bad name. When I switched over to bussing it was the same affair. the pro's bus always looked good and everything worked on the bus and the no talents had busses that were always dirty and beat up cause they ran into everything. There is a skill to driving, but only for those who choose to pursue it. It can be a no-skill career or it can be a high skill career... just depends on the individual. the guys that are skilled tend to make more money.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #136
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
It can be a no-skill career or it can be a high skill career... just depends on the individual. the guys that are skilled tend to make more money.
I totally agree....

I find it especially with oversized loads they carry for the Petro Chemical plants. You should see some of them manuver where an accident can blow the plant up.

Last edited by bdmpastx; 04-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #137
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Advertisement