MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #81
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
I said it once and i will say it again the only reason this really is not gonna change anything is there is no structure to it the only time a STRIKE works is when EVERYONE DOES IT that is why people join unions that have structure and communication I know what the numbers will look like wed
about half or a little mroe nono union will strike but everything will still get moved because the rest that dont strike will see all the loads and they will be able to hand pick and choose what load they want and it will be a win for them

i think the idea they have is good but at the same time they have other options and ways to go about it IE join a union all the union drivers i know and have talked to are pleased with it they dont complain NEAR as much as the the non union guys and not only that but they are about 200% more dependable to get the load theree when it needs to be there not 20 min late or 1 day late I respect anyman that will stand his ground and fight for what he believes in but there is a difference between having "" and not having any brains it takes to fight a fight that you can eventually when but it will be hard to win but it takes someone with no sense to fight a fight that they no they cant win at all

but who knows what will happen all i know is wed may hurt my pocket a little bit but hey it wont hurt my pocket near as much as it will the pockets of the trucks that arent driving
Oh I agree, but his idea of roll over and die, or just move on to something else, is kinda ignorant. Its easy for someone young to say they would just move to another career. Not true for everyone is all. While it may not do any good at all (which I agree with you, like I said, my Uncle will benefit greatly, somone is going to make a big buck off this) at least they are making some kind of effort instead of just blindly changing careers like the other guy made it sound so simple to do.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W NewRider's mid-week morning ride. WEDNESDAY 07/20/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 34 07-20-2011 08:05 AM
Truckers POV Hotwheelscamaro Off Topic 31 09-09-2010 08:03 PM
JAN 13 Wednesday, OTR Cigar Night JustNick Events, Meets and Rides 14 01-14-2010 01:27 PM
Motorcycles Unlimited Thanksgiving Week WEDNESDAY SALE and Hours!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 0 11-25-2009 11:26 AM
WEDNESDAY NIGHT 6/3/09 OTR - Cigar Night JustNick Events, Meets and Rides 9 06-04-2009 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #82
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
LMAO, you think this is one company doing this? What if your entire industry, across the board was like this? You been doing it for 20 years, and this is all you know? You made good money at one time, have a standard of living, and then you can't make it because your pay has been slowly falling behind for 5-10 years now. Little different.
Oh right How could I possibly overlook the grand scheme by the trucking companies to starve out the only resouce they have for making money. Then they can replace them all with robots or remote control operations from the dispatch terminals. I can be such a dummy at times
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #83
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Ninja View Post
and you will throw a lil extra to cut the throat of the man who needs the lil extra? Your a ****ing ..

LMAO 1st I am not a dispatcher I am a broker and i choose to dispatch my own loads instead of paying someone else to do it and be lazy more money for me

2nd
no the man who really needs the money will work for it and do whatever he has to do get the money not sit back and say i wont work at all until i get everything i want

I agree truckers are under paid but they are not alone everyone in the trucking business is underpaid and it just gets worse and worse 2 years ago my yearly income in logistics was over 6 digits last year right at 6 digits lol right now the way it is going it will only be half of what it was last year that is why i went back to work at another job and just doin it on the side now see im a real man i do whatever it takes to make my money (this is my opinion)

it seems to me you want everyone to feel sorry for you and your pops it sucks he is not getting rich but can he put food on the table? my dad drove my whole child hood I grew up on a farm hauling watermelons across the state and i did ot shotting for a little while

but for every trucker that strikes takes money out of my pocket and hurts my family and my living how is that fair? i dont have a choice i have to take care of mine and my own props to the people that are going to strike like i said earlier i just dont see it doing anything but hurting them because not everyone will do it and all the brokers out there will find someone else to pick up the load it may take an extra hour to find a truck but hey we will find one

Im not fighting with you but there is 2 sides to everything i do not feel sorry for any trucker out there because i am loosing money the same as them but im not just gonna sit on my and refuse to work and make money i will work as long and as hard as i can to make my money for my family

and the numbers i posted up earlier on my makings that was before taxes or anything else keep that in mind i dont make anymore than most of the truckers out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #84
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:
Oh I agree, but his idea of roll over and die, or just move on to something else, is kinda ignorant. Its easy for someone young to say they would just move to another career. Not true for everyone is all. While it may not do any good at all (which I agree with you, like I said, my Uncle will benefit greatly, somone is going to make a big buck off this) at least they are making some kind of effort instead of just blindly changing careers like the other guy made it sound so simple to do.
I see what you mean and i dont agree with just switching careers after a life in one but there are other companies out there other types of driving out there that prolly will pay more you just have to look for them some people do look for other ops other people refuse to change they just want to do the same thing and about it if hauling hay doesnt pay haul somthing else dont keep hauling it and about how you are losing money do you see what i mean?

but yeah while other trukcers are sitting at home on strike the ones that arent will be making a big BUCK

Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #85
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:

I didn't say roll over and die. I said a days work for a days pay and if you are dissatisfied with either to exercise your options. I see ads daily from trucking companies begging for drivers. The offer decent pay, vacations, benefits, and sign on bonuses. As far as being young, based on your avatar photo (beautiful baby by the way) I am much older than you. I am not afraid to make a change if I think I would be happier.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #86
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #87
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
I didn't say roll over and die. I said a days work for a days pay and if you are dissatisfied with either to exercise your options. I see ads daily from trucking companies begging for drivers. The offer decent pay, vacations, benefits, and sign on bonuses. As far as being young, based on your avatar photo (beautiful baby by the way) I am much older than you. I am not afraid to make a change if I think I would be happier.
You know what they say by assume? I assumed you would be one of the younger ones. I myself am battleing with the fear of changing careers even though I am in fact making good money. So I guess I can relate to the fear first hand at the moment. You make valid points, but are you sure it is good pay these trucking companies are offering? They may be begging for them like fast food companies beg for managers and cooks. :dontknow: Your post made it sound like no big deal to change (which for you it may not be) but I don't think it is that easy for everyone. And thanks for the compliment She got her beauty from momma.

BTW 26 here.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #88
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

and that is your opinion stay at home and get things resolved is what you say but that is not what you are doing you are staying at home and HOPING that things will turn in favor for you you dont know if they will or not but you are putting your life on that hope and that want for them too i have said all that i feel i should say in the end no one will win in this if the truckers get paid more it wont matter it will make loads more expensive and make company's spend more money wich in turn will cause more inflation

if you go and really look you are saying that they have not gotten a raise in 10 years correct? why is that do you even know?

because 10 years ago and before transportation was regulated by the government and truckers and all transporters were makeing BANK but they started saying it was not fair that it was regulated and people could choose whoever they wanted because they couldnt compete with prices so the government gave them what they wanted let them negotiate there own prices so someone went lower and anothe bid lower and lower and lower then ran themselves into the ground just to get loads because someone would always take it for cheaper they have done this to themselves so for that they need to take responsibility and set back and slap themselves for doin it to themselves another thing is with inflation the way it is the increase in minimum wage in the last 10years to acount for inflation and rise in cost of living has gone up what? about 1.50 an hour at my other job the average pay increased in 10 years 2.75 an hour so lets do some math real quick and we will make it easy and say 3.00 an hour is what most company's (they say) have raised the pay to accomodate for the cost of living and gas and inflation but the gov has only gone up about 1.50
the average OTR i will load out pays about 2-2.50 a mile and again make it easy and say 2.00 a mile truck travels at 70 miles an hour but even at 50 miles an hour that is 100.00 an hour he is getting paid so let give hime his 1.50 government raise in there that would be an extra 7.5 cents extra a mile ill give him the 3.00 raise that most everyone else has gotten in the country so .15 more cents a mile then will they be happy no because i had a load on Friday pick up here in houston and take it to San Antonio would normally pay about 2.75 a mile but this company was vital to get it there it paid out 4.95 a mile wich is ridiculous for a small load like that i have never paid out so much because it was not even a FTL it was just a LTL and peopel still wanted to but people will always that is the way it works

in all honesty I hope the best for your Father and family and the rest of the men and woman out there that will stand there ground i just feel sorry for them at the same time because to many other drivers out there will gladly pick up the extra loads to put food on the table at there own houses

Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #89
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #90
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #91
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
You know what they say by assume? I assumed you would be one of the younger ones. I myself am battleing with the fear of changing careers even though I am in fact making good money. So I guess I can relate to the fear first hand at the moment. You make valid points, but are you sure it is good pay these trucking companies are offering? They may be begging for them like fast food companies beg for managers and cooks. :dontknow: Your post made it sound like no big deal to change (which for you it may not be) but I don't think it is that easy for everyone. And thanks for the compliment She got her beauty from momma.

BTW 26 here.
Pay is relative. What is good for one segment of an industry may be low compared to another. Delivery drivers for a local lumber company pays nothing near what UPS or Fed Ex pays their road drivers.

Change is always tough. Status quo is easier to deal with than the unknown. Some people would rather complain than make an effort to get something better. Others are willing to take a chance. You can stagnate or you can move on but seldom is something better going to fall in your lap. You have to go after it if you want it.

I make in excess of 6 figures and I don't have anything more than a high school education. I have changed jobs several times and all but one were for the better. One was a bad choice on my part .

Strange to hear someone 26 talk about the younger ones. Next year I qualify for AARP status.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #92
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Pay is relative. What is good for one segment of an industry may be low compared to another. Delivery drivers for a local lumber company pays nothing near what UPS or Fed Ex pays their road drivers.

Change is always tough. Status quo is easier to deal with than the unknown. Some people would rather complain than make an effort to get something better. Others are willing to take a chance. You can stagnate or you can move on but seldom is something better going to fall in your lap. You have to go after it if you want it.

I make in excess of 6 figures and I don't have anything more than a high school education. I have changed jobs several times and all but one were for the better. One was a bad choice on my part .

Strange to hear someone 26 talk about the younger ones. Next year I qualify for AARP status.
I'm working my way up close with the same level education you have. I do well. I say younger ones, because most people at 26 years old don't have 8 years experience working. Most of them have 2-4 years. Like I said, its easy to assume. My current position is the only one I have made a mistake on. Took a step back for the promise of a huge step forward that hasn't happened after 3 years. Working on changing that though.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #93
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #94
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
I'm working my way up close with the same level education you have. I do well. I say younger ones, because most people at 26 years old don't have 8 years experience working. Most of them have 2-4 years. Like I said, its easy to assume. My current position is the only one I have made a mistake on. Took a step back for the promise of a huge step forward that hasn't happened after 3 years. Working on changing that though.

You are a good example of what I'm talking about. Your employer made you a promise and for whatever reason aren't keeping it. You can hang around and be unhappy about it, you probably don't have an employment contract so good luck fighting it, or you can move on to something better. I know what I would do and you stated that you are working on changing it. So, there ya have it. Don't like the deal you have.......get a new deal somewhere else.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #95
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

<---- stocking up on beer... just in case...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM   #96
Liqued600RR

Bike(s):
2003 Honda cbr 600 rr

on another note these truckers will drive as slow as possible and ride side by side in the lanes and wont let you pass them so becareful .. and they do swerve into the shoulders to try to keep you from coming around.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #97
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

99 zx9

im an otr driver and i go back out on wed. dont be on the freeways unless you want to be stuck in a traffic jam. my truck and every truck will be doing 46 miles an hour max. these fuel prices are ridiculous for truckers and yall too. the man getting richer!!!!
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #98
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgixer View Post
im an otr driver and i go back out on wed. dont be on the freeways unless you want to be stuck in a traffic jam. my truck and every truck will be doing 46 miles an hour max. these fuel prices are ridiculous for truckers and yall too. the man getting richer!!!!

it'll never happen mang.... you might have a few that participate but it will never be enough to make a difference.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #99
jgixer

99 zx9

this is 4 psyco ninja ive been a dispatcher and id like to say the trucking industry as a whole is getting the shaft. u know as well as i do the loads aint paying i feel this is a start look at all the ch robinson loads taking food from ur family, u as a broker know they are the industry. u as well as i aint making the money we did 15 years ago. and as far as watermellon season u know that pays good.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #100
jgixer

99 zx9

its a start

Advertisement