Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I would look at what kind of money I had to spend on gear and insurance. With out those you might want to reconsider aggressive riding in general. With those covered I would do as many track days as i could with the equipment I had until I began to understand exactly what upgrades are more nescessary for your personal style.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about getting a new Track suit... kxthor911 Taking it to the Track 8 05-28-2013 11:06 PM
Thinking of getting a track bike-- Reduxalicious Taking it to the Track 41 12-27-2012 01:52 PM
Switching over to the track Mark06gsxr Taking it to the Track 50 03-11-2010 08:21 AM
thinking about doing a documentary on track days Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 83 07-05-2008 10:34 AM
Thinking about a track bike racer-rob Taking it to the Track 31 09-09-2006 01:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Man I’ve been contemplating the same thing after my first track day at GSS last year. For me it doesn’t matter I still added some protection to my bike, because after all it’s cheaper then buying a motor from dirt getting into it etc. if I low sided and busted an engine case. I haven’t made the full conversion to track from street yet, but find like most others the street isn’t much fun and is littered with cops and cages. I do enjoy the wheelies on the street though and they frown on it at the track. Track day are much cheaper then a ticket in comparison and safer.
Anyway this is what I did to prepare my bike for the track so far.
Tires: Pirelli Corsa III. I’m not fast enough yet for stickier tires. I figure once I start sliding these around I’ll move up to better ones and get tire warmers then.
I had my suspension setup for correct sag etc..
Frame sliders
Axle sliders
Fork sliders.
Woodcraft case covers for the stator cover, starter idler cover and crank cover.
Rearsets
Pazzo levers. I carry my stock ones as backups.
SS brake lines
Vesrah RJL pads (after I got faster to recognize my stock ones were fading)
Now I did a lot more to my bike making it faster and stuff, but to me these were the bare minimum for the track. I figured I’ll get race plastic when I have to replace my stock stuff and then the bike will become a track bike only. But if you follow the Kenny Roberts way you might never need race plastic hopefully. Of course he’s probably not the norm.
See Ya.

Last edited by gixxerman; 03-31-2008 at 10:42 AM.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #23
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Man Iíve been contemplating the same thing after my first track day at GSS last year. For me it doesnít matter I still added some protection to my bike, because after all itís cheaper then buying a motor from dirt getting into it etc. if I low sided and busted an engine case. I havenít made the full conversion to track from street yet, but find like most others the street isnít much fun and is littered with cops and cages. I do enjoy the wheelies on the street though and they frown on it at the track. Track day are much cheaper then a ticket in comparison and safer.
Anyway this is what I did to prepare my bike for the track so far.
Tires: Pirelli Corsa III. Iím not fast enough yet for stickier tires. I figure once I start sliding these around Iíll move up to better ones and get tire warmers then.
Frame sliders
Axle sliders
Fork sliders.
Woodcraft case covers for the stator cover, starter idler cover and crank cover.
Rearsets
Pazzo levers. I carry my stock ones as backups.
SS brake lines
Vesrah RJL pads (after I got faster to recognize my stock ones were fading)
Now I did a lot more to my bike making it faster and stuff, but to me these were the bare minimum for the track. I figured Iíll get race plastic when I have to replace my stock stuff and then the bike will become a track bike only. But if you follow the Kenny Roberts way you might never need race plastic hopefully. Of course heís probably not the norm.
See Ya.

How much did you spend on personal safety gear?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

$2000. No wait I have two Arai RX7RR helmets and two sets of leathers and 2 pairs of boots, so all in all around $3200. I just wear about $2k in gear when I'm on the track.
The bike mods in comparision were alot cheaper.

Last edited by gixxerman; 03-31-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
$2000. No wait I have two Arai RX7RR helmets and two sets of leathers and 2 pairs of boots, so all in all around $3200. I just wear about $2k in gear when I'm on the track.
<shrek voice on>
That'll do donkey, that'll do

<Shrek voice off>
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

First off, a couple of things to check into / consider:

Does your current motorcycle insurance cover your bike when used at a track day?

Some insurance companies will cover loss for track days because it is not a "sanctioned racing event", however I'd recommend you confirm your coverage.

If you're not covered, you need to consider if you are willing to "write off your loss" if you wreck and the bike is unrepairable.

Do you have health insurance, and if so does it cover you if you're injured while participating in a track day?

While riding on the track can be safer because it is a "semi" controlled environment, there's always the human factor to take into consideration, whether it be your own actions or those of another rider, stuff can and does happen.

Having medical coverage is a necessity IMO.

Does the track day provider have an EMS and ambulance on duty?

Not all of them do all of the time, check before you register.

Does the track day provider offer structured instruction and separate sessions for different skill levels?

Being on the track at the same time as much faster / more experienced riders can be intimidating for novice track riders, and can also be a safety issue.

Formal instruction with structured classroom as well as on track guidance is well worth the additional expense, if any, whether you're a novice or a seasoned rider.

All of the above things should be considered. Let's face it, while the track can be safer, most of us are exploring the edge of the envelope when we're riding on the track honing our skills.

Sooner or later, you're going to find that "edge of the envelope", whether it be a simple off track excursion, or a ride in life flight and a totaled motorcycle, these are all things to consider.

Now that the "practical stuff" is out of the way, here's some gear / bike prep considerations:

Gear:

Back protector.
Matt, I know you have full gear; boots, suit, helmet, gloves, but I'd also recommend a good quality back protector. Alpinestars, Knox / Teknic, and Spidi are my recommendations.

Bike:

Tires: upgrade to track day or full race tires.

I like the BT002 Ride Smart or the Michelin Power 2CT. They both provide good wear life, excellent traction, predictable handling characteristics and fade predictably when they wear.

Upgrade the brakes: pads, lines and fluid.
Stainless front lines, Motul RBF or equivalent and a good race pad; EBC, Vesrah, etc..
Stay away from the "sprint" compound pads, as they wear quickly.

Race bodywork.
You'll want to remove all of your good clean unrashed stuff before it becomes damaged.

Race bodywork is much less expensive than stock and can easily be repaired.

Save the stock stuff for when you sell the bike, or sell it to offset some expense.

Steering damper: Although your bike come with one stock, IMO it is woefully inadequate for track use.

Sprockets: If your existing chain and sprockets are in good shape, save the money on a 520 conversion and just buy a couple of sprockets to give you a better choice of gearing from track to track.

-1 c/s (I think you already have that) and +1 and +2 rear will get you pretty much where you need to go.

That's pretty much all you need to go do track days for awhile.
Truth be told, and as I'm sure you've already found out, other than tires, you could go as you are right now.

After you've been doing track days awhile and want to add some things, here's my recommendations:

Tire warmers.
They'll really extend the life of your tires by not letting them heat cycle as much. Plus you can get up to speed faster, instead of waiting for the tires to come up to temp.

Suspension: You can go all out and buy a new shock and replace your fork cartridges, but in all honesty on your GSXR you can get comparable performance / results by revalving / re-springing your stock components for your weight, and at a much smaller expense.

Rearsets: Although not necessary on your GSXR, IMO if you're dragging them you need to work on your body position, but from a crashability standpoint they typically hold up better and are cheaper to get replacement parts for.

One word of caution when buying rearsets: make sure replacement parts availability is good and that they have a good reputation for crashing well.

Clip ons: pretty much the same reason as the rearsets.

Lap timer: This is the last item on my list, as in my opinion it should only be used once you are experienced enough to be consistent.

At that point, it can be a good tool to "fine tune" variables such as different lines, braking points etc.

Hope this helped.

Have fun!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 03-31-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #27
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Attaboy Patrick, always there with the good info! Actually, I'm pretty sure that with an MH subscription every person should be mailed a laminated copy of some of your helpful information about tracks/ track days/ and motorcycle setup!

Here's my $.02, and much of it is an echo.

Like Jeff, I would recommend getting a used track bike versus converting your own. If you're resigned to NOT riding on the street any more, it is more work than you may think it is and also more costly.

If you are resigned to not riding on the street, but are firm about keeping your bike, the only thing I would do to it is to remove all the street bits, replace the bodywork with a used or new race bodywork set, get some stainless lines, get your suspension tuned at Motorcycles Unlimited (notice I said "tuned", not rebuilt or upgraded.... yet!), and that's it.

I'd leave the stock clip-ons, rearsets, and the only thing I would modify is the bodywork and brake lines.

Modern street bikes are juuust fine for the new track rider. Over time, with good seat time, you'll find the things you want to change all by yourself. Jeff Grant for instance races with stock rearsets, as do a couple of other folks that I have worked with. , a friend of mine races (and does really well too) an '03 600RR in sprints AND endurance, and the only mods he has is a rebuilt shock/ forks, aftermarket slip-on exhaust, bodywork, and stainless lines. Everything else is stock.

Spend your money wisely, and as previously mentioned, save your money for two things in this order: SAFETY EQUIPMENT and track time.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #28
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

hey guys so what's the difference in having aftermarket clipon compared to stock? Are they at a better angle or something, stronger. Not sure.
BTW great advice!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
hey guys so what's the difference in having aftermarket clipon compared to stock? Are they at a better angle or something, stronger. Not sure.
BTW great advice!
Adjustable angles. Some of the major brands make them so you can adjust them "infinitely" with angle of the bar on 4 axis.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

Moody: to answer your question safety gear has already been bought except for a back protector. I have full 1pc leathers, A*'s boots and gloves and Shoei helmet!!
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #31
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
after knowing a few people die on the streets, and smash their bikes to pieces ridin the twisties.....

it makes the choice to go track only, easy peezy.

although riding on the track is an expensive past time....it beats gettin thrown down on the pavement on a country road and having a cop give you a ticket while your bleeding through every orafice in your body.

it'll be a hard transfer at first....but if you can sneak in 2 trackdays a month....you'll never feel the need to ride on the street anymore. riding twice a month to the full ability of the bike beats riding 2 straight weeks on the streets cruisin around and trying not to get ran over. speeding tickets are expensive also.

so all in all....why did I go track only? i didn't want to be the guy in the "RIP threads" that went down and a car ran over or slammed into some barbed wires, etc.. Also after the track, ridin on the streets doesn't give me the same sense of satisfaction.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #32
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

ok so since if I'm satisfiied how my stock is it's not a needed upgrade then.
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #33
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

All of this is from Patricks post, answers:

1. Does your current motorcycle insurance cover your bike when used at a track day?
-Havent checked and to answer the next question yes if it was wrecked so bad that it was beyond reasonable repair i would "write it off".

2. Do you have health insurance, and if so does it cover you if you're injured while participating in a track day?
-Yes I have health coverage, but i need to check to make sure I'm covered for td

3. Does the track day provider have an EMS and ambulance on duty?
-I didnt think about this, i just assumed that all of the orgs. did. But i will look it to this for future td. thank you

4. Does the track day provider offer structured instruction and separate sessions for different skill levels?
-Yes for TTD, and im almost positive the other orgs on the board do as well

Gear:
I have everything else that i need just have to get a back protector.

Bike:
I Am currently running Pirelli Corsa 3's, i do like them a lot, sticky enough for me right now but will advance to race tires once i get faster

I Currently dont have SS brake lines(next item on the todo list) I have EBC HH pads and run motul

I would need to get a set of race body work
and im looking at getting a damper this summer as well

As far as chain and sprockets, my gearing has already been changed Motorcycles Unlimited did the -1 front and i did the +2 rear running a 525 stock chain. still plenty of life left on the chain.

And the all of the other accessories will come down the road (tire warmers, rear sets, clipons, etc.).

My suspension has been tuned for my weight, but that will be upgraded down the road once my experience has improved.

thank you patrick for the help.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #34
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post

After seeing Candy ride that '07RR... I want one of them!
what? a candie or an '07RR? i've done a litttle on GSS but that was with a busa so couldn't do much on such a small track... but i couldn't go without riding the street. on a gorgeous summer day if i want go grab lunch on the bike then i can... that is why i got it. just a different type of enjoyment i guess
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #35
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

TomLSTD:

Im pretty dead set on using my own bike as a sole track bike and i know that it will take a lot to get it to track level. but for now like you said i will just get rid of the street accessories, slap some race plastics on, SS brake lines, and my suspension has already been set up by Motorcycles Unlimited.

Can You PM me with details on how much a set of new or used Race plastics are?

thank you
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixxer View Post
Gear:
I have everything else that i need just have to get a back protector.
I have a Dainese back protector if you're interested. I was just gonna put it up for sale.
Quote:
Bike:
I Am currently running Pirelli Corsa 3's, i do like them a lot, sticky enough for me right now but will advance to race tires once i get faster
You'll do just fine on street tires for a while. You'll know when it's time to move to track rubber, or someone will tell you. Lap times at TWS (Texas World Speedway) seem to be the most popular gauge for this. Seems like everyone says "if you're close to 2:00 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), you should move to the track rubber". Probably pretty accurate. If you come to one of our TD's John is always there, and he's a tire genius, he'll let you know pretty quick about that without just trying to sell you something; he'll give you an honest opinion. If you don't feel comfortable with that, any one of our expert racer instructors will surely help you out.
Quote:
I Currently dont have SS brake lines(next item on the todo list) I have EBC HH pads and run motul
Good plan.
Quote:
I would need to get a set of race body work
and im looking at getting a damper this summer as well
New or used bodywork is great to get, if you can find a good used set, it could save you a buck or two.

Steering dampers are a must have IMHO. The stock ones very frequently don't work well or at all in some cases. The stocker (as long as it works) will be fine for the most part, have it evaluated.
Quote:
As far as chain and sprockets, my gearing has already been changed Motorcycles Unlimited did the -1 front and i did the +2 rear running a 525 stock chain. still plenty of life left on the chain.
An un-necessary cost. I would only change to 520 if you're a front running racer. Otherwise, the expense is frivolous. There are lots of gearing choices out there for sprockets in 525, it's not like it used to be. Also, I'd stick with steel sprockets, another pocketbook saver!
Quote:
And the all of the other accessories will come down the road (tire warmers, rear sets, clipons, etc.).
good plan, keep that stuff on the back, back, back burner. If you find a great deal on something, don't pass it up if you want it, but I'd leave the stockers until you had to change it.
Quote:

My suspension has been tuned for my weight, but that will be upgraded down the road once my experience has improved.
Another good plan.

There is no question that when you do get your suspension upgrades it will "feel" great, and performance/ confidence will soar. However, this is a big expense, and you should be sure you want to spend the money.

Again, all of these mods can be bought for pennies on the dollar if you just buy a used race bike, but I don't want to sound preachy. You've got a good outline going.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:

Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #38
Ridesmart

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Well i had my first trackday this sat. Loved it cant wait for the next one. so the story goes:

My good friend recently got in a wreck last monday. made me think about how dangerous street riding really is. I know track can be dangerous too but im talking about speeding on public roads and cars not being able to see me.
Ive been thinking about this hardcore since i got off the track at the end of saturday (thinking of going from street to track only). I was showing fast improvements on the track and would love to (in the future) get my cmra lic/ccs lics. Has anybody switched from street to track only? Why did you do it?

I would actually be able to take off from work every sunday and monday with my new school schedule for summer time so that means i would get more track time.

What would i do besides get race plastics to bring my bike over to the track side (track preparation)????

Im pretty serious about this move and want to make sure that I will be doing the right thing and have no regrets about giving up street.

I know money will play a bigger factor in moving to track as well. I have that base covered!!!

Sorry for the length, just that i have a lot of thoughts about this and want some feedback, which will help in my decision!!!

Thanks guys

way to go....you wont regret it...safer and more fun.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #39
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
way to go....you wont regret it...safer and more fun.

Advertisement