MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Thinking of Switching from Street To Track...need some guidance

Well i had my first trackday this sat. Loved it cant wait for the next one. so the story goes:

My good friend recently got in a wreck last monday. made me think about how dangerous street riding really is. I know track can be dangerous too but im talking about speeding on public roads and cars not being able to see me.
Ive been thinking about this hardcore since i got off the track at the end of saturday (thinking of going from street to track only). I was showing fast improvements on the track and would love to (in the future) get my cmra lic/ccs lics. Has anybody switched from street to track only? Why did you do it?

I would actually be able to take off from work every sunday and monday with my new school schedule for summer time so that means i would get more track time.

What would i do besides get race plastics to bring my bike over to the track side (track preparation)????

Im pretty serious about this move and want to make sure that I will be doing the right thing and have no regrets about giving up street.

I know money will play a bigger factor in moving to track as well. I have that base covered!!!

Sorry for the length, just that i have a lot of thoughts about this and want some feedback, which will help in my decision!!!

Thanks guys
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about getting a new Track suit... kxthor911 Taking it to the Track 8 05-28-2013 11:06 PM
Thinking of getting a track bike-- Reduxalicious Taking it to the Track 41 12-27-2012 01:52 PM
Switching over to the track Mark06gsxr Taking it to the Track 50 03-11-2010 08:21 AM
thinking about doing a documentary on track days Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 83 07-05-2008 10:34 AM
Thinking about a track bike racer-rob Taking it to the Track 31 09-09-2006 01:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
The big stuff I'd recommend to start with would be bodywork, rearsets, case covers, and clip-ons. Get your suspension properly set-up and ride it like that until your pace comes up; I can name a handful of guys that are hauling some serious on bone-stock suspension. Once you get the bike set up just get as much seat time as possible, and you'll get to where you need to be. If you have any questions let me know, I've gone turned quite a few street bikes to the track for myself and buddies and I'd be more than happy to help you out.
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

haha! That first day bit you hard! The track is tge place to play for sure!

you'll need some race plastics (talk to TomLSTD on that one, some good tires, tire warmers, possibly a generator, and lots of time, patients, money, and enthusiasm!

Welcome to the dark side Matt!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
You really don't have to do anything unless you plan to race. I quit street riding in '03 and never looked back. I have a Vespa for short hops locally but that is it for the street.
If you wanted to go whole hog on the track and you have the funds available here are my recommendations in order......

Stainless brake lines
SUSPENTION rear shock first then revalve and spring the front.
520 gearing kit with gearing for the tracks you plan to run.
Body work
That should get you started and give you a good track steed. Beyond that lots of seat time. LMS has trackdays twice a month at MSRHouston with half hour sessions. 4 hours in the seat. We'll have some Sundays and Saturdays mostly with quality experienced instructors who can take your riding to the next level in a hurry.
I'd also recommend calling Larry at MSRHouston for the set up help unless you are a do it yourselfer. His contact info is here.....
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50594
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Warpbender
warped and bent

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

Hey man good luck with whatever you decide.
All I can say for me is if I get the opportunity to ride and don't - I hate myself.
I live very near the sticks so all my obstacles are a few slow moving drunks, and critters so I would be a fool to give up the easy life.

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
haha! That first day bit you hard! The track is tge place to play for sure!

you'll need some race plastics (talk to TomLSTD on that one, some good tires, tire warmers, possibly a generator, and lots of time, patients, money, and enthusiasm!

Welcome to the dark side Matt!
No kidding. I got a hit of the track pipe and it was guuuuuuuudddd. But it hit really close to home with his wreck. thats why im having a change of heart.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

you wont regret it! listen to Buck's and Dustin's advice, that will take you a long way!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

We've seen countless riders go from street, to street/track, to track only because they said the street just isn't that fun anymore. Some folks still do both and I think it depends what you want to get out of motorcycling in general.

Some folks still do both and just enjoy the fact they're on a bike and will take seat time any way they can get it. Others are there to get the most out of their motorcycle and the track is the best way to do that.

A lot of it would have to do with how many of your buddies are still riding the street and how much of that plays a part in your social life. For me and my friends, after a few of us had some major tickets and life threatening accidents, we were ready to do track days only and take our need for speed to the closed course.

Heck, I started doing track days in '99 and racing in '02. I didn't have a street bike again until last year.... but it's a cruiser ('07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R). Personally, I didn't miss it at all.

If you just love to ride your bike on the street and still have a group of friends who do the same, you might want to invest in a clean, used track bike and keep your street steed.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

You might find it cheaper to buy a race bike for $3000 to $5000 and to sell your current bike than to convert your current bike to a race bike. Look on the CMRA and WERA boards to see whats available.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
You might find it cheaper to buy a race bike for $3000 to $5000 and to sell your current bike than to convert your current bike to a race bike. Look on the CMRA and WERA boards to see whats available.
I will down the road prolly 6 months. But for now i cant afford to sell my bike and get a cheap track bike. Plus i would rather beat the out of my bike that i know is working good than get one that has already been ridden hard.

just mt theory, but ill do that later once i can afford to sell mine!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
We've seen countless riders go from street, to street/track, to track only because they said the street just isn't that fun anymore. Some folks still do both and I think it depends what you want to get out of motorcycling in general.

Some folks still do both and just enjoy the fact they're on a bike and will take seat time any way they can get it. Others are there to get the most out of their motorcycle and the track is the best way to do that.

A lot of it would have to do with how many of your buddies are still riding the street and how much of that plays a part in your social life. For me and my friends, after a few of us had some major tickets and life threatening accidents, we were ready to do track days only and take our need for speed to the closed course.

Heck, I started doing track days in '99 and racing in '02. I didn't have a street bike again until last year.... but it's a cruiser ('07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R). Personally, I didn't miss it at all.

If you just love to ride your bike on the street and still have a group of friends who do the same, you might want to invest in a clean, used track bike and keep your street steed.
I do love to ride and have put about 8k on my bike alone in the past 8 months but i would rather not put my life in danger with all of the cars and other people as well. I would rather switch to track completely and avoid those dangers.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

That's exactly what I did, i wrecked badly on the street about a year ago. My wife actually saw me land at the hospital in an AIRLIFE CHOPPER, Almost dead. i broke allot of bones and had various peices of metal put in my body. now i only ride on the track, Set up my bike strickly for it, Race body work, Case covers and the works on the suspension. Never looked back at street riding. Yes I do miss it but I promised my wife I wouldn't do it again. I can only imagine the look on her face when I was landing at the hospital. Yes I have crashed at the track also but it's a much more controled enviroment and there is always EMS waiting there. And there is no cars,Trucks,Barb wire fences,Poles or other various objects to really mess you up. It's a decesion you will have to make on your own and be able to live with that decision. It's fun and addicting but much safer in my mind.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANSON6 View Post
That's exactly what I did, i wrecked badly on the street about a year ago. My wife actually saw me land at the hospital in an AIRLIFE CHOPPER, Almost dead. i broke allot of bones and had various peices of metal put in my body. now i only ride on the track, Set up my bike strickly for it, Race body work, Case covers and the works on the suspension. Never looked back at street riding. Yes I do miss it but I promised my wife I wouldn't do it again. I can only imagine the look on her face when I was landing at the hospital. Yes I have crashed at the track also but it's a much more controled enviroment and there is always EMS waiting there. And there is no cars,Trucks,Barb wire fences,Poles or other various objects to really mess you up. It's a decesion you will have to make on your own and be able to live with that decision. It's fun and addicting but much safer in my mind.

I actually had a similar dream a day after my friends wreck. Scarry chit. i woke up checking all of my body parts
Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It can happen at the track too but as stated there are usually EMS on site
and none of the dangers of traffic and unexpected obstacles (gravel, potholes,etc.)
Ride within your abilities, use EXTREME caution following somebody faster than you and keep good rubber on the scoot and you will do fine.
Plus riding bikes is cool but the track is just COOLER than the street!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
HoustonGixxer

Member Garage

well im probably leaning more towards switching to track, since i was having so much fun at GSS on sat. i havent had that much fun on my bike, ever.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixxer View Post
well im probably leaning more towards switching to track, since i was having so much fun at GSS on sat. i havent had that much fun on my bike, ever.
Right there with you dood!

There is just too much potential for things to go wrong on the street, your fault or not!

After seeing Candy ride that '07RR... I want one of them!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #17
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I can't preach enough about the advantages of riding the track. I rode the street for 8 yrs. and loved every minute of it. I don't have enough friends that ride street to warrant contninuing the street. A nice SMR with some good friends is a TON of fun, but after weighing the pros and cons of street vs. track, I found the answer for me was track riding. It is fairly expensive, but after experiencing all that I was missing (after one TD I rode my bike harder than ever before) I was hooked. Riding the street was no longer "as much fun". Still enjoyable? Yes. Nearly as fun as hanging with cool peeps and riding in circles? Not so much. I enjoy the track comoroderie (sp?) and all it provides. Trackdays are for me....I was even skeptical about this past Saturday going out to GSS. None of the "normal" (my normal TD crew) were gonna be there and I was even thinking I'd find myself bored between sessions without my buddies. YEAH RIGHT!!!! I found myself meeting new peeps, getting better aquainted with other folks, and spending time with other folks I've met through TD participation. The smile the track brings to my face is priceless.

Sorry if this is a long post...I spent most of my evening drinking beer and playing softball (3 games).....Goodness, my body is sore
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Look at the bike and evaluate closely where you want to spend your $$
The street bodywork is fine to begin with. The bike has rearsets. The first things IMHO are brake lines, pads, Frame sliders, rear spools, suspension and decent tires. Throw a steering dampner in there and your ready for some serious trackday action. Performance wise that will put you well off. Now later on You can dive into the bodywork, warmers and generators. All of that stuff can come in time. If you decide to start racing then obviously that is a real $$ commitment. I wouldn't start racing unless your prepared to commit to a full season.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #19
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Wait until you throw your bike down at the track...THEN get your 'race plastics'
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #20
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
After seeing Candy ride that '07RR... I want one of them!
That bike is awesome on the track. Especially the smaller tracks like GSS and even MSRH ! It has great low/mid range! It's very light and easy to ride...great bike! The rider's pretty hawt too!!!

Advertisement