MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #41
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
lol. isnt that the "Risk" youre talking about?
I never knew you had to experience a sever loss for something to pose a risk...learn something new everyday.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R/C People?? Monster trucks. SupaDupa 600 Off Topic 73 04-30-2013 07:33 PM
Long Bed Crew Cab Trucks? Where??? Mr.P Off Topic 25 12-04-2010 01:26 PM
people with lifted trucks need opinions tonyt915 Off Topic 84 01-19-2010 08:28 AM
We're not even safe in our trucks, anymore. The NERVE of some people. Squoddybody Off Topic 15 06-08-2009 06:09 AM
People that just bought new trucks... Solracer Off Topic 26 05-14-2009 10:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #42
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
I never knew you had to experience a sever loss for something to pose a risk...learn something new everyday.
never said you did. but you keep mentioning this "risk" as if it were so high that you only have a 10% chance of survival.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #43
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
I don't think it's an issue of being afraid of our own shadows. It can't really be compared to riding a motorcycle either. I mean, unless you are piling 8-10 people on the back of your bike without gear on.

When you ride, you are responsible for yourself. Make a stupid mistake and have a single vehicle accident and you are the only one that pays (and maybe one passenger). The driver of a truck with an open bed makes a mistake and has an accident at highway speeds and now he's seriously injured 8-10 other people. On a bike, you have something to hold on to when you stop fast or swerve. In the bed, what do they have to hold onto, usually nothing.

I read almost every day on here about people posting threads making fun of people for riding not wearing gear. What kind of double standard is this that we could make fun of squids, but be perfectly fine with a bunch of people with NO gear on trusting their lives to someone else? We wear gear for that "what if" scenario because the potential cost of not wearing gear is too great.

I've ridden in pickup beds when I was a kid, I've had friends in my pickup bed when I was a teenager. But the first time that I almost lost one of my best friends (in another friends pickup) due to stupid stuff that was going on, I stopped letting people into the bed. Once you are aware of the risk, I just don't think that it should be ignored.

Anyways. I think that they should all ride in the back, but with full face helmets and leathers. Then they'd at least have some protection.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #44
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Thank you all for sharing the law, your experiences & your humor with me .

I got my answers searching through the therads (a lil pun intended :P).

Basically my take is - its like giving a ride two up to someone, they know what they are getting into when they hop on the back with me (or one of you).

Similarly all of these people (college kids minds mind you), have requested again and again they'd like to experience it, I don't have any issues with it but wanted to make sure I know the law (hence the reason for posting) and I also wanted to know other people's experience (hence the posting publicly).

I'm think they'll all be dead tired after an hour so I'm going stop every hour and let them switch/stay/all come in as they like. I'm a responsible individual and will be taking it easy, when the time comes - its in no one's hand. (just like on a bike).

Thanks for your opinions!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #45
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
good deal,
if they give you any , run em through the laser wash.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #46
Azylum
The Chosen One

im still having trouble fathoming this "risk" you guys are preaching. youre making it sound like its some kind of deadly russian roulet or something. youre more likely to get run over by a car crossing teh street. whatcha gonna do? not cross teh street anymore? wear a shoei and leathers to check your mail? sorry but you guys are cracking me up with these visuals.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #47
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
im still having trouble fathoming this "risk" you guys are preaching. youre making it sound like its some kind of deadly russian roulet or something. youre more likely to get run over by a car crossing teh street. whatcha gonna do? not cross teh street anymore? wear a shoei and leathers to check your mail? sorry but you guys are cracking me up with these visuals.
True, screw gear, odds are I'm not going to fall tomorrow anyways right?

risk
Ėnoun 1. exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance: It's not worth the risk.

I'm not sure what definition you're going off of but we're not saying it's probable it's going to happen, just that he will be exposing them to potential injury.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #48
Azylum
The Chosen One

exactly. youre exposed to danger everyday. thats why i wear my gear when i , shower and shave. /shameful plug

Advertisement