MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #61
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
While I don't agree with the street racing, I don't like the idea of companies getting into the personal lives of their employees beyond the preliminary background checks.

As far as the harley guys, any other biker, sport, tourer, or otherwise would/should have told you chit about it too. You have a company that's leery of motorcycles to begin with and want to take away certain parking *privileges*, and you go out and reinforce their negative views. Well done.

Someday, when you get all grow'd up, you might see the bigger picture.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since it's ride to work day B-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-15-2009 02:25 PM
working on bike so i can ride to work got me sick. now i'm missing work, lol loosenoose Off Topic 6 11-27-2008 10:27 AM
RIDE TO WORK? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-24-2007 11:51 PM
anyone off work monday? ride somewhere? Mr. Unassailable Events, Meets and Rides 19 04-16-2007 12:37 AM
ride to work day RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 07-21-2005 05:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #62
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
... and your title is misleading.

"Work issues cause I ride" + like a dumbass <--

It's not just because you ride.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #63
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
... and your title is misleading.

"Work issues cause I ride" + like a dumbass <--

It's not just because you ride.
Dood get on messenger
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #64
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Dood get on messenger

Trying... It won't let me login..
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #65
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
wouldnt that be illegal? an employer cannot tell you what mode of transportation youre allowed to use to get to work.

yup it happened to me too, after my accident they told me no more bikes.

i bought the gs and took it to work, they couldnt say

is not right to tell me not to ride, only a judge of the peace can order me that with enough evidence against me
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #66
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFT View Post
What a person does on a public freeway is of no concern to his employer. Is he on company time? No.

thats what i told my boss, and he rides a harley with no helmet

after i clock out is my life, not their business, i behave and do my job while on company time and company premises, thats the policy

now if im wrong, then we all should be fired for going to the bars, and track and other risky hobbies?

this is what is called private life, company own us only on company time

otherwise would be called slavery
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #67
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
Does your company provide health coverage? If so, I would have fired you by now. You actions while in control of your motorcycle are incredibly risky and display horrible judgement. You put yourself and those around you in danger. If your company provides health coverage you also potentially put them at financial risk now that they know about your poor judgement and high risk actions.

Yup, I would fire your STUPID !!

IBTL

PS, that is how an employer might look at it.
just my opinion but you cant fire someone because of the way they drive out of work. if their job requires them to drive and keeping a good driving record is a must then their driving record will get them fired if they are stupid. but just because i see you driving crazy(on your own time) does not give me the right to fire you......so sounds like you just wanna be a hater and a tattle ...now the adult thing to do would be to talk in private and say hey keep the high speed on the track. otherwise there aint you can do but voice your opinion about what happened.
Old School RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #68
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
Not illegal at all. Goes under code of conduct. We are working on a case similar right now. (cannot post details)

Thing to remember is

who owns the parking lot?

"Employee shall represent the company in a positive manner".
so you tellin me that if a company says you cant park your car here cause its a mustang(just for arguement sake) then you cant park there....thats just dumb.

some a$$hole that can't get laid must be making these rules.
Old School RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #69
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School RR View Post
so you tellin me that if a company says you cant park your car here cause its a mustang(just for arguement sake) then you cant park there....thats just dumb.

some a$$hole that can't get laid must be making these rules.
yes I am saying that and yes its dumb. but thats how it works. The Employee chose to work there.

my second post on this thread might help clear it up better.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #70
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School RR View Post
just my opinion but you cant fire someone because of the way they drive out of work.
Can your boss tell you you can't ride a motorcycle to work?? Probably not. But they can tell you that you may not park it on their property. However, most will not. There is a much simpler and easier way for them to deal with the issue that results in less hassle and potential for lawsuits (they don't like lawsuits even if they're confident they will win). The easy solution is employment action (i.e., Firing your azz).

Your employer can fire you for no reason at all. The law says that they just can’t fire you for the wrong reason (e.g., age, race, sexual preference, etc.) A savvy employer will fire you and avoid arguments and lawsuit issues by giving you no reason at all.

Perhaps some translation from a long time management type will help

Boss says “Jay, I’m concerned about…” =>What he/she means=> “Jay, your behavior makes you a liability to the company. You need to address it or I will. This is your warning.”

<<Time passes with no positive progress>>

Boss says “Jay, we’re cutting back and I’m going to have to release you. We appreciate everything you have done and wish you well” =>What he/she means=> Jay, you big up. I gave you fair warning and you were too stupid to listen. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”

Boss says to rest of employees “Jay has left to seek other opportunities, effective today” =>What he/she means=> “I fired his dumb azz for recklessly endangering himself, others and the financial well being of this company.”

So unless you're a rainmaker and they can't survive without you, you might consider being a bit more contrite... or just tune up your resume.

Last edited by Ogre; 03-30-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #71
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

so i ride like a dumbass.....lol........... im just being honest, ive rode with a quite a few ppl on here ......some ride harder than me, lol
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #72
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement