MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #41
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since it's ride to work day B-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-15-2009 02:25 PM
working on bike so i can ride to work got me sick. now i'm missing work, lol loosenoose Off Topic 6 11-27-2008 10:27 AM
RIDE TO WORK? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-24-2007 11:51 PM
anyone off work monday? ride somewhere? Mr. Unassailable Events, Meets and Rides 19 04-16-2007 12:37 AM
ride to work day RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 07-21-2005 05:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #42
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFT View Post
Thats not thier right to be concerned about what he does on his own time. He pays a premium monthly for the insurance I'm sure. I doubt there is any legal action that could be taken in a case like this. I passed my boss at 110 jacked up on a 3rd gear staggered a few weeks back....
not the point, while he pays a premium, I bet it is less than 30% of the total cost. There is not any legal action they can make. BUT, if they feel that his actions outside of work are a problem financially for the company (which an accident like say Gimps would cost a fortune) I'm sure any company could find SOME reason to fire. I'm just saying they have a reason to be concerned. Nevermind, until you are a business owner you wouldn't understand. I'm on Jay's side on this even though you think I'm not, I just want to show people that their actions don't JUST affect THEM. :dontknow: I think the idea of "fk them, they can't tell me what to do" is wrong especially when if you do screw up you are going to expect them to help pay for your mistake.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #43
juan diablo
MR. UNFLANKABLE

Bike(s):
2005 gsxr 600

wtf

That's just a bunch of major bs! They probably can't get a bike
Than need it and not have it!
juan diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #44
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan diablo View Post
That's just a bunch of major bs! They probably can't get a bike
huh? :dontknow:
Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #45
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
lol
soap4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #46
KMFT
WHLS UP

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 1000RR

I admit defeat.

Coog - 1
KMFT - 0

Good round. I'll getcha next time!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #47
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
I admit defeat.

Coog - 1
KMFT - 0

Good round. I'll getcha next time!
no defeat, just good debate
Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #48
KMFT
WHLS UP

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
no defeat, just good debate
So...about those freeway wheelies? If I'm not insured by my company, are they ok?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #49
eyefull
Crash Test Dummy

Bike(s):
'01 SV & '07 R6

Actually AMA is fighting this battle right now.

"On August 21, 1996 an important opportunity arose when President Clinton signed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), prohibiting employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker’s pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling."
eyefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #50
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
So...about those freeway wheelies? If I'm not insured by my company, are they ok?
haha, ok as in you have a right to take your life in your own hands? yep. Ok as in legal, nope. Ok as in responsible? Nope Ok as in looks sweet because I don't have the or talent to do them? Yep

Did I miss any?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #51
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefull View Post
Actually AMA is fighting this battle right now.

"On August 21, 1996 an important opportunity arose when President Clinton signed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), prohibiting employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker’s pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling."
Is it considered a legal activity if they are knowingly doing 153mph and racing ninjas? Is it a legal activity if they are riding wheelies on public streets? There probably wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't KNOWINGLY breaking the law. I think any good corporate lawyer could find a nice loophole since he has already made it known to the company that he does drive reckless. Thats where announcing it publicly could possibly bite him in the a$$
Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #52
KMFT
WHLS UP

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 1000RR

Quote:
haha, ok as in you have a right to take your life in your own hands? yep. Ok as in legal, nope. Ok as in responsible? Nope Ok as in looks sweet because I don't have the or talent to do them? Yep

Did I miss any?
ROFL.

Ok, I'll take 2 out of 4.

Ok as in I don't do them with any cars within a halfmile of me. lol
Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #53
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
ROFL.

Ok, I'll take 2 out of 4.

Ok as in I don't do them with any cars within a halfmile of me. lol
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #54
eyefull
Crash Test Dummy

Bike(s):
'01 SV & '07 R6

Quote:
Is it considered a legal activity if they are knowingly doing 153mph and racing ninjas? Is it a legal activity if they are riding wheelies on public streets? There probably wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't KNOWINGLY breaking the law. I think any good corporate lawyer could find a nice loophole since he has already made it known to the company that he does drive reckless. Thats where announcing it publicly could possibly bite him in the a$$
I am actually with you on this, it is very stupid. But it is not the companies job to enforce laws (unless your company is DPS or something). If he got a ticket or arrested I am right with you.

But because of the negative image the owners see out front I am just saying there are better ways of curbing it instead of making a "motorcycle free" zone.
eyefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #55
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefull View Post
I am actually with you on this, it is very stupid. But it is not the companies job to enforce laws (unless your company is DPS or something). If he got a ticket or arrested I am right with you.

But because of the negative image the owners see out front I am just saying there are better ways of curbing it instead of making a "motorcycle free" zone.
Agreed
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #56
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
So a guy at my company is trying to get rid of motorcycle parking, says its bad for the company. Riding bikes I mean. Happened since there was a guy being filmed doing wheelies in front of our company. Don't know who it is. Doesn't work for us. Then today I ended racing a ninja on the highway on my way 2 work. I ended hitting 153 mph, my boss somehow found out. Now I got drama for it. And a group of harley riders got alittle agitated at me. They're going on a ride 2morow. Said I could go. I said sure, ill keep it in 3rd gear for yall. Lol. They started it by saying to get a real bike, mine needed training wheels.lol . Its all good. Anyhow, one of the main guys is trying to get employees not 2 ride 2 work.... 27 total riders at our company are mad. Me and 2 others are the only ones who ride sport bikes... the rest are cruisers...anywho, anytime a guy is seen wheeling or stunting by some of the companies top dogs...I get questioned about it.... grrrrrr, ima give em something to question about..... just had 2 vent I guess......im riding 2morow, lets see what happens, by the way, I smoked the ninja
wasn't Bill asking about the public's perception of sportbike riders, wheelies 'n such?

Well, I guess this is a pretty good example.

--Not talking about your situation though, Jay. I act a fool too, but try not to do it in front of work!

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #57
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
Can you show me where in the code of conduct is says that it is not illegal to tell someone what they can drive to work? Unless they are going to provide vehicles or reinbursments, then I don't see where they can tell them not to ride their bikes anymore. He did not act an on the companies property nor when he parks his bike to get into work. Or does he?
I think you miss understood me. :/:

I was making a generic statement.

First things first all companies dont share similar codes of conduct. There are industry standards and such to take into consideration.

But the answer to your question is easy it falls under his company's sovereignty rights. His place of employement cannot tell him not ride his bike under the law. But they can well make sure that it is not parked on their property. (my frim does not allow diesel trucks in the parking garage) They
dont have to reimburse anything or take any stipulations into account under the law.

In harris county among others, anything within 200 yds of the said company is considered under company allowances. same law that lets schools prosecute kids who fight off school property but within 200 yds of the school. Same law that was argued in a case where a party sued his/her employer when his/her car was vandalized when it is parked on a street in front of said employment. ( this is dependent on the size of the company)

I really cant get too much into this but...
I know why he would win if he sued the company.
I know why the company would win if he sued them as well
but I have to keep that to myself.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #58
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

ok so whats your question? what you do on your own time with your personal vehicle is your business,what do you do that your bosses care so much? and im in conroe everynight whats your co name?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #59
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

i dont do it front of work ppl........ as for the guy who said man up, i aint about it, i just dont give a *, its on my own personal time, ppl always talk, doesnt matter what you do, so it doesnt matter to me what ppl say.......
Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #60
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

First....no company can dictate what type of vehicle you ride to work

Second, they cannot fire you for riding a bike, regardless of how stupid you ride it, unless you do it on their property.

Third...what you need to do is put in a formal compliant with your HR department. If you are fired for ANY reason after that (even thought TX is an "at will" state, meaning you can be fired for no reason at all), you can file can file a wrongful termination suit again them claiming retaliation.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement