MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I don't care about photos, since I'm not runnin' from "the law" I'll still be anonymous.

Drivers without insurance should be stopped. (All our insurance rates would go down.)

Red-light cameras should be increased. (All of our safety would go up.)

Emissions violators should be advised on their problem. (We could all breathe better.)

Parking violators should pay the appropriate fine.

I don't care who is watching.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Light Cameras Returning NgaWhat Off Topic 182 10-24-2011 02:59 PM
RED LIGHT CAMERAS GONE! morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 89 11-04-2010 05:06 PM
Geesh.... Red Light Cameras tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 08-06-2008 11:25 PM
if you think red light cameras are bad... SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 11-29-2007 11:48 AM
caught on red light cameras bigjay77 Off Topic 18 05-23-2007 11:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #22
Knightrider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Knightrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
why worry about, keep everything legit and your good to go. glad they're up and running, they outta be towing people who don't have ins. vs writing them a ticket.
i dont disagree one bit especially with the towing part lol...should get both to be honest, and some officers will tow for no insurance...just putting the word out...you would love the new DWI cars they got, cuz i do HAHA
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #23
Brandon

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

The only time I run a red light is after I have been sitting in the turn lane for 3 or 4 light cycles. Happened to me yesterday and I even had a BUS stopped behind me. I waved her to pull up more and it still did nothing so after sitting for 7 or 8 minutes (4 cycles) I went.

I know it is illegal but seriously I shouldn't need to wait 10-15 minutes at a light while my bike overheats. The other alternative that I take is to go through the intersection and hook a U-turn or take a right at the intersection and hook a U-turn. I try to avoid this type of situation as much as possible.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
I don't care about photos, since I'm not runnin' from "the law" I'll still be anonymous.

Drivers without insurance should be stopped. (All our insurance rates would go down.)

Emissions violators should be advised on their problem. (We could all breathe better.)

Parking violators should pay the appropriate fine.

I don't care who is watching.
Well you are just a law abiding citizen subject now aren't ya? Why not have camera's all in are homes so they can make sure we don't do nothing wrong there.
AFterall, it shouldn't matter if we ain't doing nothing wrong right?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
Blippin-Yellow
Blippin-Yellow

Bike(s):
99' CBR 600F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
Crackdown on illegal turns
That change came as City Council, following a new state law, required police to cite motorists who turn on red lights without first stopping and yielding to cross traffic.
[/I]."
Man, I thought i was okay to turn on Red with a "rolling stop."
Now im going to be worried everytime i go get the mail....
Blippin-Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

crazy how a STOP sign means to STOP, huh?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Gixxerbil - Still not worried - except they can't put one in my hallucinogen room. No way. That's totally private. And as long as they don't x-ray INSIDE my tires where I transport crack to Racer X for his board-posting snacks...

The red-light cams and insurance laws I want are to make more drivers more aware of their driving responsibility so they might not KILL ME in the process!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
That' debatable. The Chron reported that there's no evidence that the RLC's lowered the number of accidents at those intersections.

How about installing cameras and radar in school zones to catch speeders? Now there's something that we need. Everytime I go through a school zone I see people speeding.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post
That' debatable. The Chron reported that there's no evidence that the RLC's lowered the number of accidents at those intersections.

How about installing cameras and radar in school zones to catch speeders? Now there's something that we need. Everytime I go through a school zone I see people speeding.
I'd go for that. I like kids.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #30
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post

RLC are very debatable safety devices. I remember someone brining up a good point:
If you are on Westheimer, where traffic can get pretty crazy. And the light turns yellow. Corvette in front of you seems like its gonna gun it, then changes its mind and slams on all 4 of its 6-piston brakes. Your late 80's F150 with a bike in the bed has 0 chance of stopping in time.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #31
Texmex1
Bzzzzzzzzz

Bike(s):
`
03 Ruckus
77 MT125R
89 GB500
2015 Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
RLC are very debatable safety devices. I remember someone brining up a good point:
If you are on Westheimer, where traffic can get pretty crazy. And the light turns yellow. Corvette in front of you seems like its gonna gun it, then changes its mind and slams on all 4 of its 6-piston brakes. Your late 80's F150 with a bike in the bed has 0 chance of stopping in time.

Then you are at fault for following too close, inability to control vehicle...
Texmex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #32
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex1 View Post
Then you are at fault for following too close, inability to control vehicle...
But if you were the corvette owner, would you want to be rear-ended? Even if it's not your fault?

And it proves a point. Traffic cameras can also cause accidents.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #33
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

but that kind of accident happens anyway.... and if it teaches EVERYONE to slow down approaching a yellow light - then good! And just because the data is not there yet, I have to think if fewer people run the light, there will be fewer T-Bones. At 1960/249, I haven't seen a wreck there in a long time, since they put the cameras in... I'm sure i've missed some - but before the cameras, it seemed like there was a major wreck once or twice a week....

I don't know - I think maybe it will make people notice the lights more... I surely watch close when I cross under a freeway - bike or car....

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Well you are just a law abiding citizen subject now aren't ya? Why not have camera's all in are homes so they can make sure we don't do nothing wrong there.
AFterall, it shouldn't matter if we ain't doing nothing wrong right?
If for some reason the government thought I was a threat and needed to be watched more closely (that is why the cameras are up aren't they? running red lights makes you a threat), I would be much happier that they put a camera in my house rather than detain me. That just seems like the two best options the way I see it, you can either try to prevent people from doing it in the first place, or ensure that an individual person doesn't break the rules again. Maybe I am just weird... my mind acts goofy at times.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #35
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

"If there's a decline, that pretty much says that people aren't running red lights," said Councilwoman Sue Lovell, who chairs a committee that oversees city transportation issues. "We're modifying people's behavior."

This is the problem that I see with the way this system is working. Modifying peoples behavior. I don't see where she states making the road safer for people.
Let's just let big brother do what he wants to control us. We don't mind, really. Fast forward about 20 years and you might be suprised at the amount of the behavioural modification you felt good about that your children will pay for.

What I read was, "About 60 percent of those motorists have paid their fines, resulting in more than $11.5 million in revenue. The police department has spent $4 million operating the system, including $2.7 million to its vendor, American Traffic Solutions. Another $2.1 million must be shared with the state, leaving a profit of about $5.4 million, records show."

That number is $5,400,000 that the city is generating with this behaviour modification, safety for all system.
I guess we can feel good about that with our new modified behaviour.

That is all...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Yep - police system in houston could use more money - maybe they could pay their people better for risking their lives every day , or maybe hire more cops to help make our city safer or something like that!

Hope y'all popo's put the money to good use!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #37
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Yep - police system in houston could use more money - maybe they could pay their people better for risking their lives every day , or maybe hire more cops to help make our city safer or something like that!

Hope y'all popo's put the money to good use!!!
That's all we need is more cops writing tickets instead of protecting our homes and businesses...NO THANKS.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #38
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

um... maybe some of the cops are the ones who do protect our homes and businesses - anybody know what the percentage is of cops/constable distribution between patrol/response and traffic?

Sure is nice to see cops helping stranded drivers on the road like they do so often...

I'd like to do anything to improve 911 response too...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
Daytona_Rider
3rd Ward PoPo

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Daytona 675 - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Too late, I always see white box trucks chilling at entrance ramps to the freeways with cameras to capture every license plate that comes through. Hmmmmmm

dude... those aren't cameras.... those trucks are there to measure the flow of traffic, (by counting cars as they run over the little black cable that goes across the road) and the emissions released from said traffic. it's the environmental people doing their research and statistics junk.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #40
Daytona_Rider
3rd Ward PoPo

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Daytona 675 - Jet Black

ok... just read the rest of the thread and realized that like 5 people already said the bit about the emissions..tried to edit and take mine out but wouldn't let me.... so sorry for the repetitive junk.

*now lemme get on my soapbox for a sec*

as for about "that's all we need...more police writing tickets instead of protecting our homes and businesses." all i can say is that you are making blind assumptions as to what we do. everyone thinks all we do is write tickets because that is one of the most visible parts of our job. we write a ticket on the freeway and thousands of people see it....we respond to a lady who got stabbed by her husband (just like last night) and only four people see it. people only tend to make assumptions based on what they see in a few instances instead of on what the reality is. most people on this forum lead a sheltered life as to what really happens in the city of houston. most don't have to worry about getting shot in their apt complex or getting car jacked in their driveway....instead they just about getting a speeding ticket or whatever...EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE SPEEDING.

but what can i say... nothing will change the opinion of those that think all we do is write tickets to generate revenue. which is an idiotic idea that someone writing $200 tickets is needed to generated revenue for the fourth largest city in the U.S. with a budget in the BILLIONS of dollars.

but hey...like i've said before, to each his own. I'll be the first to admit that there are some Cops in houston...in all the different Departments. But HPD has 5000 officers, HCSO has 4500 or so, plus all the constables...you find me ONE organization with that many employees that doesn't have any subpar people working for them... it's not possible.

Hate the Cops or Love the Cops... i'll still come when you need me and i'll still do everything i can to help you and to help keep your neighborhod safe.

*steps off soapbox*

Advertisement