MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

air Pressure Question

We have probably beat this one to death but I got to ask.

The sticker on my chain gaurd says that I should have 32 PSI in the front tire and 36 PSI in the rear.

All the other bikes I have seen say you need 36 PSI in the front and 34 or 36 PSI in the rear.

Why would one bike be at a lower pressure in the front than the rear?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone got an air pressure impact wrench? jptshadow How To's and Q & A's 16 12-19-2012 04:50 PM
Good air pressure guage for the track? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 03-13-2012 08:22 PM
Pressure washer fitting question flip326 Off Topic 1 02-08-2010 01:08 PM
tire pressure question bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-11-2008 09:57 PM
What type of air pressure gauge do you check your tires with??? xdeviousdavex General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 04-09-2008 11:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
could be lots of things. suspension for one.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
oh, and are you still using the old winter air? you should have put spring air in like a week or two ago,.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
oh, and are you still using the old winter air? you should have put spring air in like a week or two ago,.

check the tire sidewall for the recommended tire pressures, but as others have stated, different tires, different bikes, different riding application will all require adjustment and varied tire pressures.
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

The tires are the stock tires for the bike. Daily commuter bike.
Front: Bridgestone G549, 110/70/H17
Rear: Bridgestone G550, 130/70H17
The bike is a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX500.

The tires on the other bike are stock for street play.
Front: Bridgestone BT014, 120/70/ZR17
Rear: Bridgestone BT014, 180/55/ZR17
The bike is a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600. For goofing off.

The ninja wants 32 PSI in the front and the gixxa want 36 PSI. Both want either 34 or 36 PSI in the rear.
I was wondering why the ninja is lower in the front. I guess it could be the size of the tire, but it sounds a little off.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
The tires are the stock tires for the bike. Daily commuter bike.
Front: Bridgestone G549, 110/70/H17
Rear: Bridgestone G550, 130/70H17
The bike is a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX500.

The tires on the other bike are stock for street play.
Front: Bridgestone BT014, 120/70/ZR17
Rear: Bridgestone BT014, 180/55/ZR17
The bike is a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600. For goofing off.

The ninja wants 32 PSI in the front and the gixxa want 36 PSI. Both want either 34 or 36 PSI in the rear.
I was wondering why the ninja is lower in the front. I guess it could be the size of the tire, but it sounds a little off.
Could be the weight distribution of the bike.... the gixxer probably has the engine riding to the middle/rear of the bike while the EX500 has the engine more to the front... I don't know, to be honest with you... just a guess.
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

What kind of riding do you do? This needs to be answered before hand. Working with the person that sold you the tires is always the best person to ask about pressures.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I'd run the suggested on the Ninja for cruising (better gas and tire mileage)

I'd run lower than suggested on the GSXR while "playing" (30/30 maybe)

Why don't you come "play" on the track? It is SOOOO much more fun than doing it on the street!
Pre-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
I'd run the suggested on the Ninja for cruising (better gas and tire mileage)

I'd run lower than suggested on the GSXR while "playing" (30/30 maybe)

Why don't you come "play" on the track? It is SOOOO much more fun than doing it on the street!

I'm on my way. I bought an '05 SV that is track ready. I'm working a few track days to get info on how that all works since it is new to me. I should be out there in May or so. I still have a few things to collect and get right. I like to have everything perfect.

My fun bike (da Gixxa) is for SMR, rides through the country, etc. Sometimes I like just having a quick bike for spirted rides. I will more than likely buy a liter bike next year and convert the gixxa to a track bike for larger tracks. Haven't made up my mind yet and have a year to decide.

My riding on the lil Ninja is just regular riding to work, etc at normal traffic speeds. It is more comfortable in traffic than a SS bike. I picked it up b/c I got a really good deal on it and I wanted to ride around with my daughter.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The 250 will work well with 32 / 34, the GSXR will do well with 36 / 34 for most street use.
Track use is a different subject.

Hope this helps.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I still have trouble setting up air pressure with diffrent temps.
on a hot day 29 / 31 or 28/30 seems to work great but in the cold or cooler weather I'm catching finding a good temp
Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I still have trouble setting up air pressure with diffrent temps.
on a hot day 29 / 31 or 28/30 seems to work great but in the cold or cooler weather I'm catching finding a good temp
Erik,
Is this on your race tires?
If so, I'd suggest consulting with John / kawi jm, our residant Bridgestone race tire guru.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 03-27-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

That's my default answer on air pressure questions at the track.
Man I feel like a noob
Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
That's my default answer on air pressure questions at the track.
Man I feel like a noob
Don't feel like a noob Erik. There are many factors that can influence your tire setup. Obviously your suspension and geometry are one of them. Track conditions, wind and your riding pace can influence how your tires work.

Before I go into all of that I want to address the issue of choosing compounds. I usually suggest a compound based on optimum grip and ease of use. For example: Say your a fast "B" group rider, but you don't quite feel comfortable in "A" group (the average pace is a little too fast for your liking). If it is cool to moderate in temp; I will usually suggest a Soft front & rear. This tire usually will last 2-3 trackdays and will supply all the grip you will ever need. It also gets up to temp easier, therefore your pace will keep the tire working in it's intended temp range throughout your session.

Now back to the pressure issue. 28 front - 25 rear cold pressures for BT002 Pro's. You can play with pressures just like some people play with thier suspensions. It is not set in stone, BUT (speaking for Bridgestone) there is a operating range that the tire works best in. On track pressures 32-34 psi front & rear is the operating range for the BT002 Pro's. The tempurature window is pretty large at 155 F - 220 F, So a set of properly working warmers at 175 F puts you inside the temp range but towards the bottom range. On the warmers I have been setting people up at 30 Front & 28 rear. Thats fully hot (Wheel warm) on the warmers. 1st session or two CHECK YOUR PRESSURES directly off of the track. If you do this and get the pressures to be consistently in the operating window; then your good to go for the day. Keep them on the warmers all day at 175 F. As you can see the tire can operate at a much higher temp so you can't "cook" them on the warmers. Again these are Bridgestones I am refering to here.

Back to the Compounds. All tires are constructed pretty much the same in that the carcass is built, then there is a base rubber, then a outer layer of rubber. That outer layer is the working layer or premium rubber. It is VERY important to choose the proper compound for the given situation. Now I understand that everyone can't carry around one of each compound, but replacing bodywork and paying off hospital bills will be more expensive. For most riders (trackdays) a soft front and medium rear works perfect, but in early season a soft rear may work better. This is why; in really cold and/or windy conditions to keep heat in a medium rear may require more pace than you can muster. As the tire cools you will tend to spin it. As it spins, 2 things are happening. The carcass is cooling and the surface is getting heated in a very specific place on the tire. Your going to essetially spin off the "premium" rubber and be left with the base rubber. Again the base rubber is not junk, but the grip is diminished a little than that of the premium outer layer. In extreme cases you will "Cold Tear" the tire. That is when the carcass is fully hot but the surface is cool or cold. That is when you see the outer layer torn off. It looks absolutly terrible, and is a totally different thing that the outer layer "spinning" off. Cold tearing destroys the tire, the other just diminishes the grip of the tire. Cold tear can be avoided by using some simple techniques. Leave your warmers on for 45 minutes...minimum; you want the wheel to be warm. Also don't take off the warmers until you are geared up and ready to roll out, don't hangout in the pits smack talking too much waiting to roll out on the track. This is the perfect way to cold tear a tire. The carcass will be hot from the warmers and the longer you sit in hot pit, the more the surface cools. You go out and start running hard right off and you may ....again may cold tear the tire. It will not happen everytime, but you are certainly making the conditions as so. When it is cool, a soft may last longer than a medium, the soft will be gripping and working properly where the medium may working fine at first then start to spin and as mentioned before you can spin off the outer rubber. This is mainly during the cold/cooler months. We are starting to get into the warmer months and the soft front and medium rear would be in order. Until it gets into the upper 90's I would not suggest a medium front.

I hope all of this info helps you guys have fun out on the track as well as explain some things you may have seen and experienced.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement