MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Title Question

I just bought another bike from a member here. I haven't decided if I want to put insurance on it and make it street legal or just use it for the occasional TD yet. My question is that if I do decide to only use it for trackdays how do I go about transferring the title into my name? Last few times I have registered a bike they made you have insurance first, if I do go only track with it I don't want to waste my money putting liability insurance on it.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Title question tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-10-2013 01:37 AM
title question Japawhat02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-05-2012 12:34 PM
Title question albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-23-2010 09:11 AM
Title Question Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-12-2008 06:21 PM
Title Question booo-iii_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-08-2008 02:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
dont title it if that's the case.....just keep the title in a very safe place.

i've had my track bike for over a year now and still haven't titled it. i just keep a copy of the title with me when driving it around....just in case questions are asked if i get pulled over.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
dont title it if that's the case.....just keep the title in a very safe place.

i've had my track bike for over a year now and still haven't titled it. i just keep a copy of the title with me when driving it around....just in case questions are asked if i get pulled over.
But I plan to sell it eventually, so it's either get it transferred into my name now or leave it in the other guy's name and x-fer it before I sell it then also add the $10 later fee :/:
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
But I plan to sell it eventually, so it's either get it transferred into my name now or leave it in the other guy's name and x-fer it before I sell it then also add the $10 later fee :/:
i plan to sell mine eventually also....but as a track bike. and most people that buy trackbikes will not care that you haven't transfered the title yet, because most likely they don't plan to either.

if it is a streetbike right now.....you might as well transfer it. i bought my track bike out of state, so it wasn't worth buying headlights, tail lights, mirrors, horn, etc. just to get an inspection and out of state form to title it in my name. i'll just sell it to the next guy/gal and let him worry bout titling and stuff if he/she wanted to.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
i plan to sell mine eventually also....but as a track bike. and most people that buy trackbikes will not care that you haven't transfered the title yet, because most likely they don't plan to either.

if it is a streetbike right now.....you might as well transfer it. i bought my track bike out of state, so it wasn't worth buying headlights, tail lights, mirrors, horn, etc. just to get an inspection and out of state form to title it in my name. i'll just sell it to the next guy/gal and let him worry bout titling and stuff if he/she wanted to.
+1
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

What Tony said. I sold mine not titled to me. If it is for the track nobody cares and if the individual wants to title it no big deal either.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:

Yeah the guy I bought it from it was his street ride, I guess I'll pony up a month of insurance $$ just so I can get the title done.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
They just want to see proof of insurance you dont have to have insurance on the bike itself just yet. Tell them that you just bought it and will be getting insurance once its titled. I did this on my first bike.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Isn't it possible to transfer title without registering it? Registration is when insurance comes into play. You should be able to own an uninsured vehicle, just not operate it on the road. If you don't title it, the state can't collect their cut.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Isn't it possible to transfer title without registering it? Registration is when insurance comes into play. You should be able to own an uninsured vehicle, just not operate it on the road. If you don't title it, the state can't collect their cut.
Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

In my experience the tax office rarely gives the same answer twice. But I have transfered ownership without registering. I think they make you lable it "for off road use only". Then when you do want to get it on the road you have to get a green sheet and jump through a few hoops.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

You should not have to register the bike to get the title transferred. You will have to pay sales tax on the sale amount when getting the title transferred. At least that is what I did when I bought my RC51.

If it is just a track bike, get the title and a bill of sale stating the sellers name and your name. That way you have documentation that the bike changed owners. If you go to sell it and want to have the title in your name, you can still transfer it after the 30 days they give you, you just have to pay a penalty ($10 I think). It says on the back of the title. That is what I have done with my past two track bikes, and haven't had any issues.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

I did the same with my trackbike. I transferred the title to my name but did not register the bike. They put 'Off Road Use Only' on the title. I only had to pay the title fee and the taxes.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Okay, I went to the local tax office and this is basically what they told me. I can't use the insurance from one of my other bikes to register this one, that works for cars but apparantely is not applicable for bikes. If I want to title it only w/o registering they will take away my plates, etc. I don't want to go through all that hassle so I'm just going to register & title it. My question is: Is there anyway to get insurance for a day just so I can register it? I'm sure I could start a policy with my local agent then just cancel it but that doesn't seem ethical. Is there a way to beat the system whilst staying within the rules?

~Keith
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

30 day policy
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement