MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
HoustonRealtor
Formerly known as ZULater

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
KX250
YZ250
CRF450
Pitster X4
R1

Sugar Glider

Does anyone own a Sugar Gider? I am interested in getting one. Any info. would be appreciated. Do they tear stuff up or are they good pets to own? Also, do they smell? I wanted a Ferret, but they smell.

Thanks,
Mark
HoustonRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost contact with Hypersonic Glider!!!..... 7cain Off Topic 13 08-11-2011 03:10 PM
2 up K.I.A. in Sugar Land CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 08-11-2011 11:03 AM
FREE SUGAR GLIDER!! ForgottnSoul Off Topic 17 06-02-2010 03:03 PM
Why is everything FULL of Sugar?? Hooligan Health and Fitness 10 08-27-2009 04:22 PM
All Riders from Sugar Land... BlackWidow Events, Meets and Rides 40 06-15-2006 12:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I've heard they're pretty mean. I had a friend with a couple of them but they always just stayed in their cage and did absolutely nothing excited. I think hers were rescues or something. Don't know anyone who raised one from birth, maybe that would change the outcome. Of course my facts are not from first hand ownership so hopefully others will chime in.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
PETE
CLUTCH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
my friend had sugar gliders left them next to the hamster cage and the glider killed a baby hamster. true story. i witnessed the murder.... so i think u should leave them away from baby hamsters?
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
HoustonRealtor
Formerly known as ZULater

Bike(s):
KX250
YZ250
CRF450
Pitster X4
R1

And people say pitbulls are mean. I might get a Glider for home security now.
HoustonRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRealtor View Post
And people say pitbulls are mean. I might get a Glider for home security now.
yea dude it was crazy saw it like 5 years ago, no lie
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
I had two a while back and I think there is boost has some. they are not mean at all and get really attached to a single owner.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
was thinking about getting one too....let me know what you find out.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

they are really sweet. Usually get EXTREMELY attached to one person. They will be happy in a pouch around your neck pretty much all day. They dont smell and they LOVE fruit!

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
CubanGIXXER
R.I.P. Burns

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CubanGIXXER Send a message via Yahoo to CubanGIXXER
I've had 4 in the past, 2 about 11 years ago, and 2 about 7 years ago. They are really cool pets, but they require a lot of attention for them to know you and like you. they can be mean, but it depends on their diet and how much or little time they spend with people. Also, you must get one when its a baby that way it considers you (the owner) its parent. To successfully bond with a sugarglider, you need to buy a warm pouch that they sell for them, I would usually tear off a piece of a t-shirt that i had worn and didnt want anymore, and put it in the pouch with it and then you must carry the pouch with you as much as possible (prefferable around your neck so that the pouch lays on your chest and the sugarglider can hear your heartbeat and recognize your scent). The more time you spend with it, the more calm and playful personality it will have. They are not "mean" by nature, they just get scared and attack in fear and self-defense. And you DO NOT want to be bit by an adult!!!! that is some pain right there! the kind that last for a couple of weeks. Your bound to be softly bit when its a baby, but its not too hard, and its just getting to recognize your taste.

also, a lot of people feed them meal worms ... which yes are good source of protein for them, but it tends to make them a little meaner, and carnivorous. I used to make my own blend of meat flavored gerber with chopped up fruits & veggies. keeps them healthy and sound.

but all in all, they are super cool pets if taken care of and raised properly!
... and they can walk on walls and jump (glide) for several feet ... how cool is that!!!!
CubanGIXXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanGIXXER View Post
I've had 4 in the past, 2 about 11 years ago, and 2 about 7 years ago. They are really cool pets, but they require a lot of attention for them to know you and like you. they can be mean, but it depends on their diet and how much or little time they spend with people. Also, you must get one when its a baby that way it considers you (the owner) its parent. To successfully bond with a sugarglider, you need to buy a warm pouch that they sell for them, I would usually tear off a piece of a t-shirt that i had worn and didnt want anymore, and put it in the pouch with it and then you must carry the pouch with you as much as possible (prefferable around your neck so that the pouch lays on your chest and the sugarglider can hear your heartbeat and recognize your scent). The more time you spend with it, the more calm and playful personality it will have. They are not "mean" by nature, they just get scared and attack in fear and self-defense. And you DO NOT want to be bit by an adult!!!! that is some pain right there! the kind that last for a couple of weeks. Your bound to be softly bit when its a baby, but its not too hard, and its just getting to recognize your taste.

also, a lot of people feed them meal worms ... which yes are good source of protein for them, but it tends to make them a little meaner, and carnivorous. I used to make my own blend of meat flavored gerber with chopped up fruits & veggies. keeps them healthy and sound.

but all in all, they are super cool pets if taken care of and raised properly!
... and they can walk on walls and jump (glide) for several feet ... how cool is that!!!!
Did you ever ball yours up and throw them up to watch them glide?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
CubanGIXXER
R.I.P. Burns

Bike(s):
'07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
Did you ever ball yours up and throw them up to watch them glide?
na man ... lol ... but i would put em on top of their cage and stand about 5 feet away, put a peice of fruit on my shoulder and watch them jump and glide ... they are super cool creatures!!!

the only thing that i couldnt stand was their screeching sometimes at night!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

....i've heard chinchillas are pretty clean/odorless also as another possible alternative.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
CubanGIXXER
R.I.P. Burns

Bike(s):
'07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Member Garage

oh and another thing for those of you that are looking to get one ... when you get their cage, they prefer narrow but tall cages with a lot of branches to jump from one to another, and you MUST get a powdercoated cage. their paws are very sensitive, and if you just get an aluminum or galvanized cage, they get some kind of iron poising and will die.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanGIXXER View Post
oh and another thing for those of you that are looking to get one ... when you get their cage, they prefer narrow but tall cages with a lot of branches to jump from one to another, and you MUST get a powdercoated cage. their paws are very sensitive, and if you just get an aluminum or galvanized cage, they get some kind of iron poising and will die.
+1 especially when they are babies. and they love the grapes. they peel them lol
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
flyininja
if ya cant duc it f*k it

Bike(s):
none, but i can use flynducs or ninjananas

Send a message via Skype™ to flyininja
i had 2 of them years ago and they were so cute. but their life expectancy is not long. they have a history of falling wrong and it causes sesures and then they die. trust me i know from experiance and it's very sad to have a cute little creature convolsing in your hands. well thats a bad memory, but you have risk with alot of pets. gotta choose what's important to you. just keep in mind they cost $100 usually and cage and all equipment around $50-$100 and both of mine died within 4 months or so? so i would not ever buy one again cute or not my money is too valuable to waste.
flyininja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i have one currently. The other one died. They have very long lives actually. I think ours is nearing 6 years old (i've had it for two) You just have to pay attention to their diet.

Their cage can smell if you don't clean it.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I had one pee on me once. :/:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I had one pee on me once. :/:
...they always do that too.

Another important thing to know is that they are nocturnal...so sunlight hurts their eyes, and can blind them.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

for a second there, i thought sugar glider was another term for gay guy, lol
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

Sugar Gliders are soooooooo cute!!!!

I think Boostjunky has some. (pics of them on her myspace)
melissa claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement