MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #41
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

that is true because most people dont know what they will gain from re-gearing a vehicle but i know some do i was just posting about my truck im sorry if this bothered you but hey this thread is for someone looking for info not for everyone to argue over what we have a calling BS on people but i will agree with you CUMMINS FTW i had my 2001 3500 dually the best truck i have ever owned until someone stole it i miss it so much but will be buying another dually this summner for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
be glad you're healthy RACER X Off Topic 16 06-06-2013 09:08 AM
Not healthy enough to kill...... tonyt915 Off Topic 7 03-13-2010 08:04 PM
healthy trim?? along77082 Health and Fitness 30 08-21-2009 02:08 PM
This is sure to start a debate - Arizona new anti illegal immigrant law Ridesmart Off Topic 15 12-24-2007 09:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #42
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
that is true because most people dont know what they will gain from re-gearing a vehicle but i know some do i was just posting about my truck im sorry if this bothered you but hey this thread is for someone looking for info not for everyone to argue over what we have a calling BS on people but i will agree with you CUMMINS FTW i had my 2001 3500 dually the best truck i have ever owned until someone stole it i miss it so much but will be buying another dually this summner for sure

you didn't bother me. the sky is the limit when one speaks of modding a vehicle. cars are so choked down from the factory that they kill mileage. I had a 79 trans am with a 403 that got 22 highway... but then again it had 2.46 rears. I don't generally discuss possible figures in threads like this because they vary too much from person to person and car to car. I tend to speak of general numbers from factory cause john q public doesn't usually dive into their vehicle that deeply. Most tend to drive it like it sits for 2 years and trade it off and get another. your 360 is the exception not the rule. good job. I wish my 360 would have gotten better but i didn't have the cash to change exhaust, gears etc....
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #43
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
1) The truck's gotta be full size, (crew cab/super cab/4 doors basically).
2) The truck's gotta be gasoline, (not diesel - not open for debate).
3) The truck's gotta be a V8 (4.6 or above).
4) The truck's gotta be black in color, open to any interior (leather/cloth).
5) The truck's gotta be 2wd (no plans of offroadin`).
6) The truck's gotta get atleast 16-17 mpg (city) & 20-21 (hwy).

ur shootin for hopes and dreams there Moe.

if you want a good truck for the price you are asking.....and it's gotta be gasoline, go with a Chevy. We have a full mechanics shop and full body shop here, so i see a lot of cars come and go....and Fords and Dodges have more problems than Chevy's. From work horses to daily drivers....Chevy is the better choice.

Now if you were talkin about Diesel's....i'd say Ford or Dodge.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #44
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I know it's out of your parameters, but if you'd like to get a toy hauler, bite the bullet and get a diesel.

Ask Ronnie Hay about his experiences of gas vs diesel.

And yes, while diesel is more than gas, it's offset by getting 17 mpg city and 22 hwy unloaded. (that's hand calcultated btw)
Not bad for a 4wd 1 ton dually. and better than anybody I know who has a gas truck.

Yeah, I've heard the argument that filters and oil are more, but the diesel will outlast the gas engine anyday, add the mpg offset over time and it's a no brianer.

Plus it's nice to actually be able to pull out and pass while pulling a trailer, or go up a grade on the way to say Hallett without flooring it.
Also the 3/4 ton / 1 ton trucks have stronger brakes and suspension and are better able to handle the load.

IMO, 1/2 ton trucks are fine for pulling small trailers or putting your bike in the bed, but if you're pulling anything with any size to it, they're pretty useless.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #45
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I know it's out of your parameters, but if you'd like to get a toy hauler, bite the bullet and get a diesel.

And yes, while diesel is more than gas, it's offset by getting 17 mpg city and 22 hwy unloaded. (that's hand calcultated btw)
Not bad for a 4wd 1 ton dually. and better than anybody I know who has a gas truck.

Yeah, I've heard the argument that filters and oil are more, but the diesel will outlast the gas engine anyday, add the mpg offset over time and it's a no brianer.

Plus it's nice to actually be able to pull out and pass while pulling a trailer, or go up a grade on the way to say Hallett without flooring it.
Also the 3/4 ton / 1 ton trucks have stronger brakes and suspension and are better able to handle the load.

IMO, 1/2 ton trucks are fine for pulling small trailers or putting your bike in the bed, but if you're pulling anything with any size to it, they're pretty useless.
my 96 7.3 one ton 4x4 crew cab ford had 365,000 miles on the original engine and still ran strong and did not burn any oil. had 3 transmissions put in it though over its life.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #46
Texas_Rebel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

Look into the '96 and up GM half ton p/u with the vortec 5.7L motors.....they are strong and reliable and can haul to boot you'll roughly get about 14-16 around town and 19-21 highway depending on how you drive of course. On the plus side you can pick-up one for around 5-10 grand dependant on the condition, miles, yada yada-Q
Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #47
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

with your money criteria the best bang for your buck is gonna be an extended cab (u can get a 4dr) dodge 24v cummins it will get the best mileage, last longer, and tow better than any v8 gas full size for the price. you can look into a 7.3 ford but theyre just not as tough as the dodge, but will ride better. the turning radius on the dodge is better, and mileage is better with the dodge, but interior is not as comfortable.
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #48
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Moe, I know you said no Diesel, but can you tell us why?

I have towed horse trailers for over 15 years now and I can tell you, if you plan on upgrading to a larger trailer, the Diesel is your best bet.

I wanted a Diesel in my last truck but couldn't afford it and now am stuck with a 2001 Ram 1500 (1/2 ton), extended cab, long bed, that will get 11.2 mpg pulling one bike on a flat bed (last trip to Cresson on Easter) or 8.9 mpg pulling a two-horse aluminum trailer with one horse (1100 lbs).

If you want anything with decent torque and gas mileage and you have a daily driver in your RX-8, then get a Diesel.

By the way, I pulled 2-horse steel horse trailers loaded with two horses with a V6 S10 and it made it, it just had a harder time on Hwy6 between Hempstead and Navasota ... but it made it. I had that truck for over three years and hauled at least once a month. The gas mileage was around 16mpg.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #49
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Moe, I know you said no Diesel, but can you tell us why?

I have towed horse trailers for over 15 years now and I can tell you, if you plan on upgrading to a larger trailer, the Diesel is your best bet.

I wanted a Diesel in my last truck but couldn't afford it and now am stuck with a 2001 Ram 1500 (1/2 ton), extended cab, long bed, that will get 11.2 mpg pulling one bike on a flat bed (last trip to Cresson on Easter) or 8.9 mpg pulling a two-horse aluminum trailer with one horse (1100 lbs).

If you want anything with decent torque and gas mileage and you have a daily driver in your RX-8, then get a Diesel.

By the way, I pulled 2-horse steel horse trailers loaded with two horses with a V6 S10 and it made it, it just had a harder time on Hwy6 between Hempstead and Navasota ... but it made it. I had that truck for over three years and hauled at least once a month. The gas mileage was around 16mpg.
+1 on the diesels, not to mention how long they last.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #50
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
+1 on the diesels, not to mention how long they last.
Yeah, most of the folks at the horse shows have Diesel and they know why. A friend of mine who buys them religiously told me long time ago that a Diesel engine doesn't get worked in until 100,000 miles.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #51
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

have heard bad things about those year dodge's. have heard bad and good things about the avalanche. I'd stick with chevy or ford, owned 2 of each and driven plenty more in the past as well as dodges (not impressed at all).

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #52
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, most of the folks at the horse shows have Diesel and they know why. A friend of mine who buys them religiously told me long time ago that a Diesel engine doesn't get worked in until 100,000 miles.
very true. I think the AVG life is 300k, with many cases into the 600k, and I have seen a couple in the 1million range without rebuilding.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #53
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Moe, if you absolutely, positively want to stay with the gas trucks, then I'd say, figure out your GVWR lbs and your GTW and then go from there. I betcha, for hauling bikes, a half-ton will be absolutely fine. See this excerpt from edmunds.com:

Quote:
As far as cars go, a full-size body-on-frame, rear-wheel-drive car like a Ford Crown Victoria (rated to tow 2,000 pounds) or Chevy Caprice is a basic minimum for towing anything approaching the weight of a 2,000-pound trailer. For smaller trailers, a smaller car can work, but for hauling anything more than 2,000 pounds you're going to need a truly tow-friendly vehicle.

Ideally, a truck or an SUV is always a smart choice for towing that boat or camper. Even a compact pickup like a Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado is going to be better than just about any car. For heavier loads (say more than 4,000 pounds) a half-ton truck like a Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado will meet the needs of just about any of the trailer-towing basics we're discussing here. But even among half-ton trucks, towing ability can vary. For example, an F-150 with a 5.4-liter V8 will have a much easier time towing a 5,000-pound load than one with a 4.6-liter V8 because it simply has more horsepower and torque. Furthermore, the engine isn't the only thing that can handle a heavier load. The transmission, brakes and rear axle are also upgraded, along with the larger engine. Beyond a typical half-ton truck, a three-quarter (such as an F-250) or one-ton (F-350) can handle loads well beyond 5,000 pounds. For example, an F-250 with a 5.4-liter V8 and 3.73 gears is rated to tow 12,500 pounds. Properly equipped, an F-150 is rated to tow 8,000 pounds with a 5.4-liter V8, an automatic transmission and 3.55 gears.
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...1/article.html
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #54
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Another good source to see the minimum truck you require for the weight you want to load and pull. Look from page 17 - 25. This is for Ford but it can help you find a truck and then look for comparable models from other manufacturers.

2008 RV & Trailer Towing Guide

I leave the rest of the research up to you now. Lazy .
Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #55
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Good luck finding a V8 gasoline truck that will get 16-17 city and 20+ highway.....

You might find something rated for that but your chances of actually seeing it regularly are slim.

I'd do an '05 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi if I were you.......saw up to 17 city depending on how I drove and saw up to 22mpg highway depending on how I drove......and yes this is first hand experience over the course of 2 years. That was with a K&N drop in filter and Borla Catback.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #56
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I have to fully agree with Patrick........but I can't see paying $3.99 /gal for diesel myself. I've had 2 diesel trucks, '02 F-350 Crew SRW 2wd and '01 Excursion 4x4 Diesel. Saw 20+mpg all the time on my F-350 even mixed city/hwy driving. Excursion never saw more than about 17-18mph on the highway. Right now I couldn't even imagine filling up the 44 gallon tank on the excursion, $175 to fill up!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #57
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
have heard bad things about those year dodge's. have heard bad and good things about the avalanche. I'd stick with chevy or ford, owned 2 of each and driven plenty more in the past as well as dodges (not impressed at all).
what have you heard? most of the time these ppl, are hopping these diesels up to with programmers, injectors, etc... thats when u start getting problems.

if you have to get gas get a chevy w/ the lil 5.3 in it. i doubt a crew cab is in your price range though. you can do quite a bit to that little 5.3 motor. and teh gas mileage is better than the dodge and ford gassers. the ford 5.4 gasser is ok in reliability but lack hardcore in performance and sucks when it comes to gas mileage. honestly id look at getting a tacoma, or 4-runner, these will tow that trailer and prolly be more reliable, and get better mileage than any of the other options in your price range. although they are not full size.
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #58
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Moe, if you absolutely, positively want to stay with the gas trucks, then I'd say, figure out your GVWR lbs and your GTW and then go from there. I betcha, for hauling bikes, a half-ton will be absolutely fine. See this excerpt from edmunds.com:

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...1/article.html
Patty,

Dear I've already done all the research , I want to avoid Diesel at the moment becuase of 1) Truck's prices 2) Diesel prices 3) My requirments don't need Diesel 4) My give financial and given circumstances don't require it.

I currently will be towing a trailer 2200-3200 lbs, in the future that number might up by say 1000-1500 lbs at the max.

I've done the math and every thing, and all I need is a V8 5.0 + liters. That's why I mentioned the Ford F150/Dodge Ram 1500/ Avalanche. 2000-2003.

I also don't think I'll be able to keep the RX8 & a truck & the repsol (all 3 for street duty. So I'm gonna either sell the POS Repsol or the lovely RX8

I love buying cars & bikes, its a thrilling experience.

But buying a truck is like the 1999 Presidential Election, picking the option that'll do the least damage! (atleast thats how it is for me)

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #59
poser
Banned

Bike(s):
something slow

User is banned

poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #60
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Thank You All for your help.

I have made my decision...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...33#post1099933

PS: See Patty, I told you this time I was'nt gonna test drive and jus buy it

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement