MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
samv1368
R6!!!!!!!!!!!
 
samv1368's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: kingwood
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 418

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 r6(Someone buy it)






restoration project?

Hey guys, ime throwing the idea around about restoring an old bike, i dont know what kind yet or anything, if anyones done it is it worth it? i plan on selling it, so also for the money you spend on the bike is what i could sell it for worht it? and what older bikes i in high demand, or popular for sale?
thanks alot guys, any help would be a help!

sam
samv1368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Restoration Cap'n Stab'n Car Forum 115 03-26-2013 10:02 AM
Headlight Restoration Infinite Off Topic 10 08-22-2010 07:58 PM
RC 142 Restoration Project BigComfy Taking it to the Track 8 07-25-2009 12:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,797

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Restoring metric bikes don't fetch much money (get with Scootertrash, he will know fer sher), but Harleys, old Triumphs, and Indians do.

If you're looking to make money, you'll likely be disappointed. If you want to do it because you want to enjoy it, then you'll be more happy.
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER
 
jetcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 12,009

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50



Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
If you're looking to make money, you'll likely be disappointed. If you want to do it because you want to enjoy it, then you'll be more happy.
Do it for the love of the build and passion for the machine. If you end up making some scratch when you're done consider it a bonus and use that money to start again with another build. Unless you're really good with your hands and have good parts support you probably won't make much money.
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,259


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






I rebuilt a 1982 Yamaha XS650 special into a flattrack look they call a Street Tracker. Wanna see a pic?

I did it cuz I thought it would be fun and end up with a cool bike. I was right.
However, even tho' the bike is worth much more now than when I got it, I don't think I could sell it for a profit. Break even? Maybe.


All that said, it is possible to make a modest amount of money if you:
Start with a plan
Do a lot of research
Carefully choose the bike and what you are gonna do to it
Are patient while shopping for the bike
Look endlessly for deals on the parts
And don't do more than you must (like powdercoating or chrome plating)

IMHO you would be better off approaching like Jetcycles suggested, for the love of doing it.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Restoring metric bikes don't fetch much money (get with Scootertrash, he will know fer sher), but Harleys, old Triumphs, and Indians do.

If you're looking to make money, you'll likely be disappointed. If you want to do it because you want to enjoy it, then you'll be more happy.



perfect statement, build one you love and do it for that, you might see your enjoyment of riding something made with your hands outweighs any wheelbarrow filled with cash easily.

also, its a plus to know you have saved another bike from the rust pile, restore and let them live again.
I have a 69' T500, 71 cb350 and a 76xs360

the 69 and 71 set up cafe and the 76 is under the knife now to look similar to this when done, complete with suicide clutch and jockey shift
[IMG]cb360chop4[/IMG]
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 03-23-2008 at 09:15 PM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I rebuilt a 1982 Yamaha XS650 special into a flattrack look they call a Street Tracker. Wanna see a pic?

I did it cuz I thought it would be fun and end up with a cool bike. I was right.
However, even tho' the bike is worth much more now than when I got it, I don't think I could sell it for a profit. Break even? Maybe.


All that said, it is possible to make a modest amount of money if you:
Start with a plan
Do a lot of research
Carefully choose the bike and what you are gonna do to it
Are patient while shopping for the bike
Look endlessly for deals on the parts
And don't do more than you must (like powdercoating or chrome plating)

IMHO you would be better off approaching like Jetcycles suggested, for the love of doing it.
yes I certainly do indeed
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy