MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
andrave

Feedback Rating: (0)

Transmission neutral ok, no up, lots of down, random gears?

Broke chain last year, chain broke some stuff (clutch pushrod, sprocket cover, etc). Finally got around to fixing it and getting a new chain, filled up oil and everything, got the bike running... ok, well as you know I had to take off the gear selector to take the sprocket cover off.
Well I put it back on, and I've got the clutch adjusted correctly... and I can get it into neutral. But I can only go DOWN from there... when I push down on the pedal (normally engaging first) I get random gears... I can't find first. and I can continue to push down and it just sort of randomly puts gears in. I started off in like 3rd or 4th and pushed down and I think I had 2nd then pushed down and got what I'm pretty sure is 6th.. then I had to screw around with it to get it back to a gear I could start off in. Once you get it back into neutral, the gear selector won't move UP anymore... (what would normally give you 2nd gear from neutral).
WTF!!!!?????
I dont think breaking the chain would do anything to the tranmission, so I' thinking maybe I don't have the gear select on the right spline of the shaft that sticks out of the tranmission or something??? I made a mark with a paint marker when I removed it and I lined it back up perfectly when I put it back on....
Hopefully someone on here has some advice for me, my service manual doesn't say jack and I'm confused with thisone.

thanks in advance.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gears slipping on my manual transmission Squoddybody Car Forum 46 04-19-2012 11:51 PM
bike keeps going into neutral? gsxr'stunna How To's and Q & A's 27 12-30-2009 07:09 PM
missing neutral fuknrobert General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-09-2006 03:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Is the little lever that bolts on to the shift shaft sticking up (above the shaft) or down (below the shaft)?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
andrave

I will get a picture up tomorrow. It seems like talking about this is going to be confusing.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Its very simple - walk out and look at it (unless you're like Clyde and keep it in your living room). The small lever that slips over the spline drive (a little over an inch long) will either be sticking up (toward the sky) or down (toward the ground) - I'm guessing it is pointing down (toward the ground). What is your bike? I assume a gixxer (from the picture) what cc? what year?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

you think he has it in gp shift?

if not in gp he has more problems couse i dont think just takeing it apart will mess up the gearing, i took my cluch basket and all that out on my 2000 gixer600 to put on a timeing advancer and put it back together but i had a book .

needs to get a manuel and reck his work!

Last edited by H2447INTX; 03-21-2008 at 11:13 PM.
H2447INTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
you think he has it in gp shift?
That's what I'm thinking!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

would not explane random gearing also first gear would be up and he said from N he can not go up, he may have it in gp but if not he has trany problems , or he did not get it back to gether right! this would act be fun to play with if i had his bike!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
would not explane random gearing also first gear would be up and he said from N he can not go up, he may have it in gp but if not he has trany problems , or he did not get it back to gether right! this would act be fun to play with if i had his bike!
He never says "nothing happens when I go up" he says he can only go down. When you are lost -- nothing makes sense. He is looking for 1st gear and I don't think he knows it may be UP. Anyway - a good 1st step is to determine if the linkage is installed right. My 2 cents worth.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
level5
moving chicane

he's prolly got it install as gp.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
andrave

the lever goes down and to the rear. the bike is a 2004 GSXR 750.
I brought my cam to work with me today but the batt. are dead. I didn't do it last night because I went directly to bed after writing that post.. been working 9 hour days all week and very tired.
Now, there is no selecting neutral. what I mean by that is that you just end up kinda randomly banging the gear selector until you get the neutral indicator. There seems to be a general pattern of going up until you find neutral from the (seemingly random) down gears. If that makes sense.
Once you see the little green neutral indicator on the dash, sometimes you have to jiggle it to get it into neutral. From there, when you pull up the lever, it doesn't seem to want to engage first.

Now, I get what youre saying with the GP shift... I don't remember if the lever was up or down when I started, and I only made a match mark, so i could have flipped it 180 degrees when I reinstalled it. The thing is, when I was reassembling it, it went together the way it is, and I remember that the other way there seemed to be some interference with the rod that goes from the shift shaft to the gear selector...

Anyway the thing is, I didn't have the motor or the transmission apart. I dont think just losing the chain could have screwed anything related to gear selection up. I've certainly never heard of it happening. Not that it means too much, I'm not a bike mechanic or anything.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
maybe the shift rod is bent (rod that goes to the spline)? and it's not gettin a full shift

sounds like it's just not adjusted right....could be upside down as stated also (gp shift). try adjusting it a few times and see what you come up with.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Lever should be up, so with it down - you have reverse (gp) shifting. 1 up and 5 down. Very confusing - most likely your problem. You can turn the lever over and point it up, or for grins leave it like it is and start the bike / with the clutch in, try shifting it UP let the clutch out a little / rock the bike / pull the clutch in / shift up again / clutch out a little / repeat all this over and over - ONLY LIFTING (UP) WITH YOUR TOE - as though you were trying to get it in 6th gear. If you have the linkage backwards this should get you into 1st gear. I'm guessing you have gotten it into a very high gear now such as 5th or 6th because it is backwards.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
andrave

will do when I get home... hope its something that small. Already dropping some money this month for 2 new tires and getting the forks rebuilt, and I'm fixing the bodywork at home so it looks a little nicer.
on top of the work already done with the chain, water pump, clutch pushrod, sprocket cover, etc.

when it rains....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I'm not computer savvy enough to dislay it here, but go to www.mrcycles.com , then click on suzuki parts, then 2004 yr, then gsxr 750, then use the drop down menu (where it will say 2nd day air) and scroll down to "gear shifting", click on that and look at the picture - thats how it should look. If you have the small lever (#27) installed pointing down in stead of up like in the picture that is your problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
andrave

ummm. yeah mine is completely opposite. I remember when reassembling it I had to use a mini ratchet to put the bolt back through the clamp where the gear shift arm attaches to the gear shift link, and I was like.. umm... didn't I take this off with my cordless impact when I took it all apart?
so that makes sense. I will flip it tonight, hopefully just flipping it to the correct position will cure my ills.

I'll update the thread once I do that.
sucks its supposed to snow tonight.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
ummm. yeah mine is completely opposite. I remember when reassembling it I had to use a mini ratchet to put the bolt back through the clamp where the gear shift arm attaches to the gear shift link, and I was like.. umm... didn't I take this off with my cordless impact when I took it all apart?
so that makes sense. I will flip it tonight, hopefully just flipping it to the correct position will cure my ills.

I'll update the thread once I do that.
sucks its supposed to snow tonight.
Good - I think maybe you're getting warm - hope the simple switch-a-roo fixes things for you. Remember - after you flip it it may still be in 5th or 6th when you begin and it will take a little working with it to get back down to neutral - once you're there - hopefully your shifting life will return to normal.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
andrave

I'm gonna put it in neutral before I flip it. That should restore order to the world. I realize I may have to fiddle with it to get it shifting proper again... I just hope and pray that this takes care of it!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
andrave

Hey flipped it over as soon as I got home and went out for a ride in the rain at 35 degrees. It was cold but felt great and shifted perfect through all the gears.
thanks again for the help.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #19
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
Hey flipped it over as soon as I got home and went out for a ride in the rain at 35 degrees. It was cold but felt great and shifted perfect through all the gears.
thanks again for the help.
It's amazing how simple things look when you get them figured out - glad to help!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
hehe, oops!
Slowkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement